1,916 results
All reviews beer garden largest hotel tower room heated bathroom floors underfloor heating modern hotel breakfast buffet building site main restaurant small window minute walk happy hour walk in shower northern lights reception staff street parking the main shopping street
Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

My partner and I came here for a 5 night stay over the New Year period. Our room was large and comfortable and the temperature was perfect. The staff on reception were really busy but so friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really nice and we ate from the bistro menu on 3 occasions and enjoyed everything we tried. I want to give a special mention to Andreas the barman who created bespoke cocktails for us based on our individual preferences. He is awesome!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
ThelmaTheo, Asst.Hotel Manager at Fosshotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2016

Dear JoHulse,

Thank you for the outstanding review.

We are happy that you chose Fosshotel Reykjavík during your stay over the New Year. It looks like it was a great start to the year 2016.

I agree, Andreas is wonderful and I´ll make sure to pass your kind words to him personally.

Happy New Year and we look forward to having you back as our guest

All the best,

Reviewed 5 January 2016

We had a lovely 4 night stay over Christmas 2015. The rooms were clean, warm and comfortable. Service was friendly, polite and helpful. Great location for walking to explore the city. Chocolates and fruit for guests at reception every day was a nice touch. Breakfast buffet - plenty of choice. Spacious bathroom with both bath and large shower - only lacked a bit of surface for your own toiletries. Everything lovely and new. Hot water didn't smell of sulphur.

I managed to leave a couple of items behind and they are sending them on to me which is over an above the service of many hotels.

View was OK from our 6th floor room but would be better from higher floors. Only one side of hotel gives sea views. Building site close by but no work going on during our stay.

Room Tip: Higher rooms = better view -sea views one side. Our views were in dark hours, city lights only (exploring spectacular country during day).
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
ThelmaTheo, Asst.Hotel Manager at Fosshotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Dear deborah w,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We are sincerely happy you enjoyed your stay with us as much as you did.

It is true, our location is ideal for exploring the city. Our team always aims to provide the outmost friendly service, as it seems you experienced, and have great tips on where to go and what to see.

Thank you for all your kind words, we look forward to having you back as our guest.

All the best,

Reviewed 4 January 2016

I really don't get the 4 star reviews for this hotel. After reading them before booking, my expectations were way high.

First, I expressly booked this hotel (through Expedia) because it, and the hotel's own site, listed free parking. Their own web page showed a spacious parking lot. When we pulled up to the hotel, there was nowhere discernible to park - there was a huge construction pit adjacent to the hotel. I quickly ran in to ask about parking and was told there was none - either 24 hour paid parking in garage below or metered street parking. The street parking was inexpensive and easy, but I was sure I had seen they had free parking. When mentioned to the staff, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Fast forward to next day when I went through my paperwork and indeed found free parking listed. The reception tried to tell me it was free (from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.). Upon further pushing from me, I ended up speaking with a manager who said I should have received a pass for the garage on check-in (I assume as opposed to deer-eyes from the reception desk). I am not stupid...I am assuming what was once their parking lot is now the huge construction pit next door. The fact that the staff acted like they had no idea what I was talking about really pissed me off. Half the battle of customer service is how you handle a situation. After speaking with the manager, they refunded us what we spent on metered parking, so it all ended up OK.

Speaking of the construction pit, for some reason (despite the hotel seeming pretty calm, not totally booked), we were placed at the end of the 4th floor - you guessed it - directly over the construction pit where a racket commenced at 7:30 a.m. in pitch blackness. Seriously? This was the ONLY room you had available?

Next, they indicate rooms are "tastefully decorated". Maybe it's a Scandinavian sparseness thing, but if you consider no art on the walls and dormitory style modular furniture tasteful, then you will love it. No alarm clock...just the bare minimum of everything. The bathroom was a good size and had a bath tub and rain shower cubicle; however, ZERO shelf space to put anything! I had to set things down on the toilet lid and edge of tub when trying to do anything.

Overall the impression I am left with is this is not a thoughtfully planned out hotel made by travelers for travelers. A good hotelier anticipates travel needs and thinks of things one might need for a comfortable, restful stay - it's the little things, like a place to set your toothbrush and a clock in the room.

On a positive note, the included breakfast buffet was the bomb. There were Scandinavian, continental, British and American items to choose from, including hearty meats and cheeses, skyr, eggs, bacon, pastry, fresh breads, jams, preserves, sausages, espresso, juices, cereals, etc. Something for everyone. Also, the location with regard to the Laugavegur was fine. Downtown Reykyavik is very small, and while this hotel is a bit off the beaten path in terms of that, it's still very walkable - as would beany hotel within proximity to Laugavegur.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ellsbird
ThelmaTheo, Asst.Hotel Manager at Fosshotel Reykjavik, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2016

Dear ellsbird,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it gives us insight on how we can improve our services and facilities.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and you felt the location of our property was fitting.

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with parking and the customer service in regards to the matter during your stay. As you can read from other TripAdvisor reviews, we work hard on maintaining friendly and helpful service. Indeed mistakes were made but we always do our best to set things right and we are glad that we were able to solve the problem in the end. I have taken the steps to make sure this will not happen again with our valued guests.

Regarding the room allocation, we always try to carefully allocate and if our guests express dissatisfaction we reallocate if possible. It is unfortunate that you were allocated in a room that did not meet your expectations and that we didn´t have a chance to make up for that.

Our priority is to offer friendly customer service and comfortable atmosphere and if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around please reach out to me at Thelma(at)fosshotel.is. It would be pleasure to personally welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 January 2016

The room (double plus extra bed which initially missing but quickly remedied) on 7th floor was clean but quite chilly initially until we managed to turn up heating. Only 2 staff on reception and at times long waits for enquiries. The buffet breakfast was good but at times difficult to be seated as lots of guests. Found it odd that Beergarden bar/food area is separate business and could not add to hotel bill which was a difficulty when not expecting it and bag left in room! The bar area in lobby not open until 2pm which not that convenient when you fancy a hot drink and the machine by reception has not been replenished. Reception were not particularly bothered and said they were waiting for it to be fixed but no one attended during the next hour ....
On the whole, it is a good hotel centrally located and easy to walk to centre of town but has weaknesses in certain service areas which could easily be fixed.

Room Tip: Room at least on 7th floor or above for views.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family

Dear GBR21,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Fosshotel Reykjavík and for taking the time to advice of your recent stay. All feedback is extremely valuable to us as we strive to improve ourselves every day.

I was disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us. I apologize with all sincerity and can assure you that this level of service is certainly not acceptable and your comments will be extended to concerned parties.

It is always our aim to meet each valued guest with outmost friendliness and helpfulness and I hope that we will get another chance to turn things around.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

My partner and I stayed four nights during the recent Airwaves festival.
A new hotel and slightly out of town, we went for price given how busy Reykjavik was for the festival and were pleasantly surprised.

The rooms are a good size and comfortable. Ours was on the 15th floor so we got great views right onto the bay and looking down to the Harpa - perfect for my early morning yoga! The rooms also had all the amenities required, including free wifi, kettle & coffee maker, hairdryer, etc. The only criticism would be a lack of coat hooks. Given how wet Reykjavik can be, we ended up scrunching our coats onto the radiator or hanging them off doors rather than putting them in the cupboard to make all our other clothes wet.

The bathroom had a large bath and shower - we meant to use the bath but opted for the blue lagoon instead. And the shower had amazing pressure and shower heads - great for warming up or recovering from a festival hangover!

Breakfast was included and had everything you need. It did get very busy during the weekend because of the festival, so one morning we had breakfast in the lobby and they were very punctual in clearing things away right on 10am. They also did that old trick of opening a window so everyone gets cold and clears out. But to their credit the staff quickly extended the hours which I thought was good. On a previous trip we stayed at a hotel that had waffles with the breakfast - a friendly recommendation for the hotel as they didn't have any!

The staff are very helpful, particularly on the reception desk. We had hired a car and I thought there was free parking at the hotel, my mistake. However we were quickly guided to streets nearby with no parking charges. And right near the hotel is free parking from 4pm to 10am and on Sundays.

There was also a hotel bar which we didn't get time to try but it looked great.

The location is good - only a short walk from town, about 15 minutes I'd say. And in a slightly different direction you can walk 15 minutes by the waterfront to get to the Harpa, which again was very convenient for the festival. We had friends staying at a nearby hostel which was also a top festival venue, so we just walked the quick 5 mins to their hostel to start our evenings. There are also some fast food places down that way if you're out partying late and need to grab something on the way home!

I would definitely recommend this hotel for both comfort, location and amenities, including a very knowledgeable staff. And I would also recommend going to Reykjavic for the Airwaves festival!

Room Tip: Ask for a hotel on a higher level with views of the bay/Harpa
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMacL0nd0n

Dear JMacL0nd0n,

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for choosing Fosshotel Reykjavik.

It sounds so wonderful that the view from the room served you well during your morning yoga exercise. We are glad that you felt the room was comfortable, the breakfast was good and last but not least our team was very helpful.

We sincerely look forward to having you back as our guest during the next Airwaves festival if not even sooner!

All the best