“Simple and Beautiful”

Gljufrasteinn-Laxness Museum
Ranked #93 of 178 things to do in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Gljufrasteinn - Laxness museum was the home and workplace of Halldor Laxness (winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1955) and his family for more than half a century. It is now opened to the public as a museum, unchanged from when Laxness lived there. In the reception building you can buy tickets, souvenirs, books, and watch a multimedia presentation dedicated to Laxness’s life and work. Visitors can take walks in the beautiful countryside as well.
Corvallis, Oregon
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Simple and Beautiful”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Visiting the Halldur Laxness home was secondary on our agenda, but it should have been on the "must do" list from the start. It really conveyed the spirit of the writer, yes, the Islanders. The tour is self guided with a headset. You could go into all the rooms, even the bathroom. I loved the simplicity and good taste of everything about the house. We had rented a car for the day and stopped here on our way to the west coast. I'm not sure how else one would reach the Laxness Museum. We were so glad we visited!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank nurseintheair

Adelaide, Australia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“The inspiration of Laxness”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I stopped by this quaint and attractive home of Halldor Laxness. It was snowing, and the beauty of it worked well. It is easy to understand from where Mr Laxness drew his inspiration.

On approaching the curator handed me some 'oveshoes' which all visitors I assumed were asked to wear, as they moved around the house.

I was handed the audio equipment with which I would learn about the area, the home, and how Halldor and his wife lived.
The home is beautiful, it has a warmth to it, and the furnishings are well kept. Visitors are encouraged to believe that everything in the house is at it was, when the couple lived there. The piano left open, music played, and the voices of the couple feature in the commentary.
The beautiful large window which overlooks the farm, is inspirational.It has a peace and tranquility about it.

The authors books are stil maintained in the order they always were. Nothing it seems has been moved. I think I found this a bit odd. I am not sure that the home would have always been so neat, and they promote that nothing has been changed.

There were some times when thought the commentary went on a bit long. I did wonder to myself, if some of it could be deleted, but I stayed with it. In winter with the snow around it is truly beautiful. I do wonder if in the summer if it would have the draw, the same mystery The snow somehow fitted in well with the surroundings. Horses grazed in the field. They could be seen through the big window. It is so peaceful here.

I have been through the homes of notable people previously, and it does produce feelings for me, which are hard to describe. It feels like being an intruder, like listening in on private conversations, being involved where no-one aught to be. So with these thoughts I did had strange feelings about being in the home of Mr Halldor Laxness. But it was a pleasure, just the same.

I was impressed, but I do not think I would return to do it again. I think Mr Laxness should lie in peace, without people poking around in his stuff, albeit from a distance

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Aussiegrannie
Reykjavik, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“a must see”
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I have been to this museum a few times and I love it, and all the nature around it. It is in Mosfellsdalur. It is free and if you are on your way to thingvellir, you can stop and see it on your way to thingvellir

Visited September 2012
3 Thank vidtjornina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice place to go if you have extra time.”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is a nice museum. When family members went fishing and I didn't want to go, this is where I headed. If you do not like museums you will really not like this one. As is it not a very old or large country exhibits might not be what you are used to. But if you like history and like learning you find this to be very interesting. Almost everything has an English translation.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Austintxrr
Reykjavik, Iceland
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“THE Icelandic writer Laxnes”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The former home of the only Icelander to get the Nobel Price. Excellent writer and an interesting journey trough his life. A must for any culture lover and I strongly recommend all to take a look of some of his work.

1 Thank Sigurdur S