“Great place”

Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: WE ARE OPEN FROM MAY-SEPTEMBER We are proud to mention that in October 2015, Slippurinn was ranked as Iceland's second best restaurant according to the White Guide / Best restaurants in the Nordics. Slippurinn is a family run eatery by the harbour in a 100 year old building that once housed a machine-workshop that served the old shipyard. It's casual, friendly and excellent quality. Our philosophy is simple and honest, we cook our food from scratch using the best ingredients in season. We get most of our vegetables from farmers on the south coast and we go next door to the fish market to get the freshest fish possible. We grow our own herbs and salads and forage the island for wild herbs and seaweeds. Our unique cocktails made from local herbs are a must try! The highly ambitious kitchen is run by chef Gísli Matthías Audunsson. Indiana his sister, is the general manager and bar manager and mom Katrín is the front of house.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We came here (after making online reservations) because of TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. It was excellent.

1  Thank OurFuture

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Slippurinn is located in a historical building, which is always a plus for me. We made reservations to make sure we had a table. Which was a good idea, because the restaurant was very crowded (and a bit noisy may I add).

Service was excellent, best we had in Iceland, I do so believe. The waitress explained the menu of the day to us and was very friendly.

We went for the fish of the day. The fish was excellent and the portion was huge. We were so full, we didn't have any room for dessert. I tried the rhubarb soda which was very nice and after the meal I drank a rhubarb mojito. I think this restaurant is really fond of rhubarb, but I'm not complaining! Love rhubarb!

Table was sticky, which I don't like.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We visited this restaurant on the strong recommendation of a guide we had back near Reykjavik. Happily we took his advice.

The dining room is a large bright room with window looking out over the harbour and fishing fleet. The service was very knowledgable and the choices varied. As noted by others, there are selections for kids as well.

I started with thinly sliced cured foal which was very pleasant....my first exposure to horse. As a main I had delicate salt cod loin and finished with a seasonal 'stolen Rhubarb' dish. Everything was very nice. My wife's lobster soup was beautiful.

Finding such a gem of a restaurant in such a small town was a pleasant surprise. One that was repeated elsewhere in Iceland, where food is taken seriously.

1  Thank JamesOB523
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We did visit the Slippurinn based on a recommendation from a friend on our day tour to Vestmannaeyjar. What a pleasant surprise. The foot was fantastic, among the best meals we have had for a long time. This restaurant is also very children friendly. They have a children menu with about 3-4 dishes. Our sons got the hamburgers and did finish their whole meal which is not common for them.
Would highly recommend this place, dont miss out on a great experience - this is a star restaurant.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Best restaurant I ever had the chance to visit. Amazing meal cocktails and staff. Do not hesitate take the ferry and treat yoourself toe one or more of their magnificent dishes and refreshing surprising coctails.