“Very good guesthouse with an amazing view!”
Review of Eystri-Solheimar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vik
Eystri-Solheimar
Ranked #8 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Vik
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Good room, cheap, clear, friendly owner... and for free there is a beautiful panorama around :)
The guesthouse is just 500 m from the main road (number 1), 22 km at west of Vik.
There is a kitchen where it is possible cook your meal.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Mathias M, Manager at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hello Alessio Muzzy, thank you very much for your nice review. It has been nice to have you and your friends as guests. I hope your entire vacation in Iceland was pleasent. Enjoy the memories! Best regards ... Sigrun Thorsteinsdottir

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We chose Eystri Solheimar as starting point for our Iceland round-trip. Staying there for 5 days was a perfect beginning of very relaxing vacations. The guesthouse is ideally located to visit many of the beautiful sites of Southern Iceland (Dyrholaey, bird watching with lots of puffins, glacier walks, trecking into the volcanic areas, Skogar waterfall and museum, cafe with excellent cakes in Vik etc.), and 5 days were actually too short to experience all of them . Our room was simple and clean, the service was warm hearted and the meals (breakfast ant the optional dinner) were excellent.
On our next Iceland visit, we will certainly stay again in Eystri Solheimar.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mathias M, Manager at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear "BaGe2013", we would like to thank you for your encouraging user review. We liked to hear how much you enjoyed your 5-day-stay at Eystri-Sólheimar. It's been our pleasure to have you as guests and we are looking forward to your next visit ... as you mentioned. Best regards, Sigrún & Mathias

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Friendly host, beautiful views, clean rooms, close to Vik. My family of four recently stayed here and we had a great experience. We had originally just booked for sleeping bag accommodation but when our luggage got lost (with our sleeping bags) Sigrun (the owner), set us up with some fresh, clean bed linens. A great, quiet night sleep. The bathroom was only shared between a few guests and it was also very clean. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Mathias M, Inhaber at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thanks alot for your review. Glad we could help a bit and you liked your stay despite the luggage problems. I hope you got your bags soon and could then enjoy a wonderful vacation in Iceland. Best regards Mathias & Sigrun

Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Guesthouse a few days ago. Sigrun, the owner, greeted us on arrival and showed us to the room. It was on the upper floor which I'm sure on a clear day would have an amazingly wonderful view. There was heavy low cloud cover when we arrived and left so I'm unable to confirm. The room is simple but very clean with twin beds and linens included. When I woke there was someone in the bathroom so I chose to use the first floor bathroom. it wasn't a big deal except you have to walk past the dining room where people are having breakfast so I was glad I brought my bathrobe with me. The breakfast was also included which is always a plus. This is a great option for people on their way to other locations in the south so I would recommend staying here vs. in Vik.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Mathias M, Owner at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you for your nice review. It's been a pleasure having you. Thanks also for the review-details, helpful for future guests and me alike. I hope you had an enjoyable vacation in Iceland all together, and hopefully better weather. It changes ever so often. "Bless, bless" as we say in Icelandic for 'Good bye' and best regards, Sigrún

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived late (23h) and were still greated with a warm welcome and explications on what to do the next day. We went to see te puffins and came late (again) for breakfast and our host kept it for us until we came back. The rhubarb marmelade is just fantastic :) on self baked rolls.. Hmmm.

Rooms are basic but clean and nice (no opaque curtains though), small bathroom.
Do!

• Stayed: July 2013
Mathias M, Manager at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

On behalf of my wife Sigrún I wish to thank you for your great review. We hope your entire vacation in Iceland was nice and ejoyable. Best wishes to you. Mathias & Sigrun, Eystri-Sólheimar

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here (1 night) two days before the solstice when lodging in the Vik area was all booked up. Got a referral and showed up to lovely lower level room and was charged single rate (yeah!) even though 3 beds.
So then I realized I had left my fleece vest at a restaurant/truck stop about 4 hours east along the Ring Road. As I was too tired to drive back, and I had gotten a speeding ticket near the flat glacial outwash plains (BE CAREFUL - very friendly police, but expensive driving lapse!), I told the guesthouse owner (lives in Germany part-time) my problem. She phoned around to locate the restaurant and my vest, and arranged with the staff there that a trucker driving to Reykavik (still can't spell) would drive past on the Ring Road. So at 11:45pm the guesthouse owner knocked on my door that the truck was 10 minutes away!
So there I am at midnight, on a dreary but still-some-light night, with a view of the massive rock/monolith from the guesthouse, I waited at the end of the long driveway. No traffic passed for 15 minutes. Then a 2-trailer truck came over the hill, flashed its lights, and pulled over in the middle of the road to toss me a neatly wrapped package with my fleece. The friendliest truck driver in the world drove off and i went, "what a country!" That's what Iceland is like.
There was a rainbow that morning. Nice kitchen setup with plates and utensils (but no oven). One bathroom too for the 3 rooms but worked out fine.
But one of my memorable stays in Iceland and the sheer generosity of the owner impressed me. I'd stay again for sure. Easy drive back to Dryhovey (spelling?) too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your positive review and nice compliments. We hope your entire vacation in Iceland met your expectations and was a nice experience. It's been a pleasure having you. Best wishes and greetings ... Mathias & Sigrun, Eystri-Sólheimar

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Vik has 300 people and Esytri-Solheimar is about 10 km to the West. Sigrud spends her summers running the wonderful guesthouse, which has been redone recently. Her other home is Germany and she gets many German clients, so it's nice not to run into American and Canadians. Well, at least I think so. The farm is really close to Eyjafjallajökull and the photo I'm posting shows Sigrud with a book with her farm on the cover.

With advance notice, she will cook dinner for you. Usually fish or with more notice, lamb. It's a great deal and you can settle down, enjoy some wine (you REALLY should not enjoy wine and then drive in Iceland....much less tolerant than USA) and have a great meal.

Why did I rate it 3 stars in value ?....well it's NOT against Eystri-Solheimar...it's Iceland....geez, it is really expensive. And I'm told that before the economic meltdown of 2010, it was worse.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Mathias M, Owner at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you very much indeed for your review and recommendation. It's been my pleasure having you as a guest. I hope you had a nice vacation in Iceland and will enjoy the memories. Best wishes and greetings, sincerely Sigrun