“SUPER Ice climbing tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Glacier Walk on Sólheimajökull Glacier
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Vik
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the foot of Myrdalsjokull glacier in South Iceland Arcanum Glacier Tours is one of Iceland's oldest and most reputable glacier adventure tour company. With over 20 years of service we specialise in safe and responsible guided tours to spectacular glaciers and South Iceland's rugged beautiful back country. Whether you want to have fun in a Super Jeep or on a snowmobile, do a glacier hiking or ride an ATV across the black volcanic sands of the South shore you are in good hands with us. You don't have to have any special skills, or levels of expertise, just show up and have our experienced, friendly and knowledgeable guides walk you through the rest. Our guides are local back country experts with decades of experience running glacier and adventure tours. Rigorous training, solid planning and strict protocols ensures safety, comfort and enjoyment of our customers.
Reykjavik, Iceland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“SUPER Ice climbing tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I simply cannot recommend this tour enough!
Our great guide Keli made sure we felt secure and informed when we did our best climbing the beautiful ice wall. We got all the equipment we needed too. The scenery on the way to the ice wall was magnificent, all kinds of mountains and of course the glacier itself (with all it's many wonders!). The best part of the tour was of course the ice climb itself - adventurous experience indeed! Arcanum - you guys rock!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank PerlaMagg

• Chinese (Traditional) first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Solheimajökull Glacier Walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Nice guide. Small group. All questions answered. Good equipment. Unlike other tour providers we had a full safety equipment (helmet, belts). Fantastic walk!!

1 Thank anne m
New York, New York, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best experience in iceland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked a south coast/snowmobiling tour with a group in Reykjavik and Arcanum provided the snowmobiling part of my excursion. The tour bus dropped me off on a gravel path somewhere and I was met and driven to the Arcanum offices. We did our trip and I was then dropped off at the next tour stop. There was no hassle with the transfers.

I have never been on a snowmobile before but it's pretty simple. My tour guide Birgir was awesome. He's enthusiastic, friendly, and made sure that we were all comfortable before and during our ride. I'll definitely look the company back up when I return.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Erica Z
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Sólheimajökull glacier walk and ice climbing with Keli”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I completed the glacier walk and ice climbing experience this past week while staying in Reykjavik.
We decided that we wanted to do a glacier walk at the last minute and called around Wednesday night to make a booking for Thursday. I would not suggest you do this as you may be disappointed if you can't find an outfitter to take you. We had called around to several outfitters and all of the glacier walks or walks and ice climbs were full, but one of the companies suggested that we call Arcanum. I called and was told that there was availability for a glacier walk at 3pm. As the lady that I talked to did not take down my name or a credit card number, I was a little bit worried and called the next day to confirm. I was again talking to a lady (not sure if it was the same one) and she took mine and my husband's names--but that was it. I'm not sure it was conveyed to our guide and did leave me worried that we would drive 2 hours only to find out that the capacity was maxed out!
We drove the 2 hours from Reykjavik to arrive at 2.30pm. There is a 4km gravel road to the site from ring road/HWY 1. We were warmly greeted by Keli and another guide that helped suit us up. I was telling the guides that I sure would have liked to go ice climbing, and was so excited to hear that we could as there was only 2 people on the tour! We were provided with hiking boots and gloves, as well as a pick and crampons. I know that there were several other tour companies that do the same hike but I'm not sure what they would do if you forgot waterproof pants/gloves/boots/etc as they did not appear to have a trailer on site with all the needed equipment like Arcanum did. The company was set up to provide all you would need for a hike or ice climb.
Keli took us on the glacier and discussed safety, history, and information about the glacier. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. He then assembled everything for ice climbing and was patient with my husband and I, being first timers to this new adventure. Because there were only 3 of us who decided to climb he let us each try twice...I can say my arms felt like jelly!
After the climbing experience we walked around on the glacier hearing more entertaining information and searching for the most picturesque photo ops because we had a professional photographer in our group.
We then met the other guide back at the trailer and he helped Keli pack the trailer back up.
It was a wonderful trip with a fantastic guide and I would recommend that everyone try ice climbing if you can!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Eyeou
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of the Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

My son (age 12) and I stayed at the guest house and did the glacier tour on the snowmobiles. On all accounts, it was one of our best days in Iceland. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and well prepared. The machines were all almost brand new.

Most importantly, the scenery was amazing. There is something incredibly special about cruising around a glacier that you know is sitting on top of what will one day be a huge volcano.

Visited April 2014