“Great find - delicious home-made chicken soup - and reasonably-priced too”
Review of Narfeyrarstofa

Narfeyrarstofa
Price range: US$7 - US$38
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Narfeyrarstofa restaurant and café is the oldest operating restaurant in Stykkishólmur. It’s a family business and is open all year round. Narfeyrarstofa’s menu features inventive dishes served artfully in the beautiful surroundings of the restaurant, where utterly charming views from the premises bring life to the atmosphere. There is a strong emphasis on creativity in the kitchen, and it is safe to say that craftsmanship is held in high regard, as the ingredients are of the finest quality and sourced locally wherever possible. Narfeyrarstofa’s chefs prepare all ingredients from scratch, and the kitchen makes use of a powerful meat processor as local meat is prepared in different ways for the various dishes on the menu. From the restaurant there are views over Breiðafjörður bay’s “natural pantry”. Ingredients from there are on the table every day, exceptionally fresh. Blue mussels from Breiðafjörður are always on offer when in season. The menu also has a selection of hamburgers, proclaimed to be “the real deal”, “juicy” and “even better than búllaburgers” by our guests, who come back for them again and again! Our wine menu is unusually diverse and features specially selected wines of various types. The restaurant is in a two-storey house built in 1906 in the heart of Stykkishólmur, by the old church that towers over Aðalgata. There is room for 70 people indoors, and it’s also possible to sit outside when the weather’s nice. The atmosphere at Narfeyrarstofa is warm and welcoming, and the staff and the owners do everything they can to provide outstanding service to their guests.
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I was on a driving trip and drove up to Stykkisholmur. Being lunchtime I thought I'd find somewhere in town and was extremely pleased to find this little place. It's in a historic building and is very quaint and cosy inside (great to get out of the rain!). I ordered a chicken soup which was home-made and delicious, accompanied with lots of home-made bread. Good value too. Highly recommend stopping in here!

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We had a great dinner at Narfeyrarstofa after a long day of driving-- we arrived just as the kitchen was about to close, but they were very accommodating and stayed open for us. Out of all of our meals on the trip-- this was our favorite, incredibly fresh, simply prepared seafood and fish soups, good salads/vegetables, and a decent beer/wine menu. It also felt like a much better value than many of the restaurants we had stopped at in Reykjavik.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

It's a little out of the way, but well worth it. We ended up here on our last leg of the ring road before we headed back to Reykjavik. This place served up the best meal we had during our entire stay. The menu is comprised of all locally sourced meat and vegetables. There are great local beers also to be had. If you find your way out to the western peninsula, stop in and treat yourself right.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

5 of us ate here and we all loved it. The fish soup is so good, you can't believe it until you try it. It is more like a bisque and with a ton of shrimp, Icelandic lobster, mussels, calamari and white fish. I'm salivating just thinking about it. My brother had a blue cheese, bacon hamburger and said it was the best hamburger he has ever had. I can't remember what the others in our group had, but they all said it was the best meal of the trip. If you get out to this charming little town, do yourself a favor and eat here. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

I had dinner in the restaurant and I can recommend it. The food was excellent, with large portions, (perhaps too large). They are quick to take orders but we had to wait for a table to be cleared. They were fairly busy the night we were there.

We elected to have dinner downstairs, and outside. Upstairs was full anyway. This turned out well in my personnal opinion, and both my guide and I enjoyed our meals. I liked the atmosphere being outside, the night was crisp and the birds could be heard. Our meals did take awhile to arrive, but were well worth waiting for.

Stykkisholmur is right on the coast and the harbour a short and most pleasant walk from the restaurant. The town is small, very pretty and very quaint. I had been here before on my first visit to this unique country, and it was such a pleasure to return a second time, for my adventure around Icelands Ring Road, travelling with a private guide.