“Charming place ... at a steep price”
Review of Hotel Egilsen

Hotel Egilsen
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stykkisholmur
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming place ... at a steep price”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Hotel Egilsen is stylish and charming, but it will cost you a pretty penny. We loved our rooms, tiny as they were, because the beds and sheets were awesome, the shower and other bathroom amenities were upscale, and everything was so well planned out (shelving, hooks, etc). In many ways, it seemed more commodious than our bigger rooms in Iceland that were not as well laid out. Nevertheless, the hotel is pretty seriously overpriced, especially when one discovers the price does not include breakfast. To add insult to injury, the breakfast costs ISK 24 each, a ridiculous sum for what is offered. Fortunately, we declined the breakfast and found a cute bakery on the edge of town where we got good coffee, sweet rolls, a croissant, and a sandwich for about ISK 9 each.

What was also a bit off-putting was the front desk worker was very dismissive of the more affordable restaurant in town (Placcid) while heavily pushing the two more expensive places. They may well have better food, but the woman in charge, when asked about Placcid, said disparagingly "Oh, I think they just serve hamburgers or something like that." In a town this small and with the restaurant almost literally across the street, she surely knows exactly what they serve, and it's not just hamburgers. This attitude did not sit well with us.

Other than the slight sense of superiority and arrogance about their "healthy breakfast" and its price, as well as the big ticket for the rooms, we did still think Hotel Egilsen was cute and atmospheric in this tiny fishing village. Just go expecting a very small but well-appointed room and a wallet-lightening price, and you'll like it too!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms have slanting ceilings and need some attention to avoid hitting one's head! They...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in June 2014. We were in a "standard" room on the top floor of this 3 story hotel - room 8. As everyone has mentioned the rooms are way tiny. I wouldn't have minded this if we had not been up under the pitched roof so that much of our room was unusable. We didn't even both bring our suitcases in because there literally was no place to put 2 little rollerbags. I will say that the room was probably the prettiest, most tastefully decorated of our entire holiday. The bathroom was lovely, but small, as were all the bathrooms in every hotel we stayed in. The hotel has loads of charm. The breakfast was good also. The was a fair amount of noise from the street until it got later in the evening. We slept well, we found the bed comfortable, but being on the inside against the pitched roof, meant that it was very difficult to get in or out of bed. You could not sit in bed and read.

For what you get, I think it was too expensive. I should have to look around more to see what other hotels were available in the area - it may be the best in the area. Just don't stay on the top floor. Get a "superior room." I don't mind small if you can walk around the room. This room would be perfect for a couple of people the size of 8 yr olds. If you are taller, like my husband - over 6 ft - then you won't be happy in a room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Don't get a standard room - those are the ones up under the pitched roof where you can't sta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My daughter and I recently completed a fantastic 8 day vacation to Iceland. We selected our hotels primarily based on Trip Advisor ratings and were very pleased with all of them except for the Hotel Egilsen. Although the hotel looks charming, charm won't get you a good night's sleep. We stayed in Room 7 which was on the third floor so we each had to lug a 40 pound suitcase up two flights of stairs. The room was incredibly small so there was no place to put said suitcases. The ceiling was pitched so that you could only stand up in about 35% of the room. There was also no place to sit so when you were in the room all you could do was stand up or lie on the bed. I took the side of the bed nearest the wall and when lying flat on the bed, the ceiling was about 28 inches from my nose. Definitely not for the claustrophobic. Unless I shimmied the length of the bed, I could not get up without my daughter getting up from her side of the bed. The bathroom had a privacy glass door but it did not go to the top or bottom of the casing. The gap at the top and bottom made the bathroom not entirely private from the room itself. The shades on the windows were not light blocking and the road noise was very loud. Overall, I don't think either of us got a bit of sleep. Given how expensive the room was and that breakfast was an extra expense, we couldn't figure out how it got such a high rating in Trip Advisor. So, I went back and read the details of past reviews and realized that there were reviews with 1 and 2 ratings that got averaged out by the many 5 ratings given for its "charm and character". The highlight, though, was having a wonderful dinner at the restaurant across the street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Brenda W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. It is a quirky little hotel, with the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in and also the best breakfast we had in our whole trip of 11 days in Iceland. The only thing that was disappointing was that I had read that it is a place where locals hang out and there is a warm buzzy atmosphere, when in fact it was very quiet. The bedrooms are very small, so there is no space there to relax except on your bed, and the shared living area is also small. Overall though, I would definitely recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms, I had an attic room and it is really tiny. Perhaps there are bigg...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I traveled with another couple to Iceland for an 8 day trip driving around the country. We were very much looking forward to staying at Hotel Egilsen in Stykkisholmur and booked two superior rooms 4 months in advance. Despite receiving a confirmation from the hotel, the day we arrived, they somehow screwed up our reservation and missed booking the second room. Fortunately, they had a standard double room available which they gave to us free of charge. It was super disappointing, especially since we were very much looking forward to our stay, but the Staff handled it well, apologized profusely, and we thought the compensation was appropriate. Our friends stayed in the much smaller standard room, but we still all had a wonderful stay.

I would definitely recommend the superior rooms. As mentioned, the rooms are very small, but they are amazingly decorated, and have high quality features. The beds are incredibly comfortable with beautiful bathrooms and breathtaking views. The breakfast in the morning is a buffet, surprisingly large with smoothie, coffee, tea, skyr, several fruit options, fresh vegetables, salmon, and hard boiled or scrambled eggs. There is a small, but cozy, cute common area to lounge in and there are two bikes to use for a leisurely ride around the town.

The two restaurants behind the hotel and to the right are both extremely good. It's totally worth walking up the hill to the lighthouse to get beautiful views of the several islands off the coast. Stykkisholmur is the most charming, gorgeous seaside town and I wish we had more time to spend here. I definitely will be coming back and despite the mix-up with our booking, I would without a doubt stay at Hotel Egilsen again. The only reason I did not give it 5/5 is due to the booking mis up. It is super pricey, but definitely worth the splurge. Just make sure you double, triple check your booking!!!

Room Tip: I would definitely book a superior room. Make sure to double, triple check your booking to make sure...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a wonderful hotel; my favorite that we stayed in, actually! As other reviewers mentioned, the rooms are not very large. But, what they lack in size, they make up with incredible charm, wonderful decorations, and incredible comfort.

The staff here was also incredibly helpful and welcoming. We were travelling in a group of five and, so that we didn't have to book three rooms, the staff offered to put an air mattress in one of the larger rooms to accommodate us..

We opted for breakfast, and it was delicious. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
South Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were booked to stay at Greta's guesthouse Baenir & Braud but the day before arriving we received an email saying that renovations at B&B were not complete so we were being transferred to Hotel Egilsen. In other words, we got an upgrade.
I would echo the comments of a previous reviewer regarding room size and traffic noise. Our room was easily the smallest of our Iceland trip (we stayed in 12 different places over three weeks) but it WAS very tastefully presented. Our room on the ground floor was literally arm's length from a fairly busy road and I really noticed the traffic noise. So if we had paid the usual price I would have been disappointed.
Breakfast was very nice with plenty of boutique touches, but an expensive add-on.
The hotel's location is excellent, only a short stroll to the harbour.
The hotel staff were fantastic and gave us a great list of things to see and do for our day on the Snaefellsnessnesnesnes Peninsula.
So, it's a nice hotel but it's expensive. It gets 4 stars from me but only because I snuck in at the Baenir & Braud price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stykkisholmur
Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
#5 of 9 in Stykkisholmur
Our Home Apartments
Our Home Apartments
#2 of 6 in Stykkisholmur

Been to Hotel Egilsen? Share your experiences!