“WORST Bed & Breakfast EVER!”

Burwood Bed & Breakfast
Burwood Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Burwood B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“WORST Bed & Breakfast EVER!”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Arriving late, I could not believe how terrible the room was. With my children we walked into a room which had a stench of mould. The mattresses and beds did not smell clean and when I went to air out the room, the stench from the rubbish bins filtered throughout the room. When I asked the owner to turn on the aircon, she asked me for $10 extra. I was already paying $220. When I inspected the other rooms, I could not see where the odour was coming from. The bathroom had not been cleaned either. When I went to ask the owner for toilet paper, she was quite rude about it. I tell you - my kids were sick the ENTIRE night we slept there. I could not for the life of me believe what a terrible place it was - and to think they charged us that much was insane. I couldn't sleep. I sat up hoping for the sun to come up already. Meanwhile, could see more unsuspecting visitors arrive feeling so sorry for them too. The place is dungy like and not suitable for children much less monsters!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank poly n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We ended up having to choose alternative accommodation as this place was definitely NOT what was offered. The 'better' room was small; the linen was more suited to a single bed rather than a double; the electric blanket didn't work; if you wanted air-conditioning it was $10 extra and to top it off the light in the bathroom didn't work and they couldn't fix it. When we asked for our money back, I actually had to pay for the soap as I had unwrapped it. At least they gave us our money back!

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Burwood hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This place is terrible. The sheets and bedding were dirty, there were holes in the floor. There was no air con or fans, and no fly screens on the windows, so the room fills with Bugs quickly. There was a sliding door, however the screen door did not close and was full of holes anyway. Our room had a large cockroach nest in the cupboard. We had booked for 2 nights due to having dogs, but we ended up finding the dogs a Kennel and going to a much much better place for only $20 more in the city. Rooms were noisy as it is close to a fairly busy road as well as often in a flight path.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel or b&b before where the sheets were not clean, and the whole place was grubby and smelly. Off street parking is advertised, but there is very little of it and is always full. Even the rooms that are not facing the street are noisy. There is no air conditioning and when you open the window the cockroaches and mosquitoes come in. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
sydney
Reviewed 19 March 2013

This place is not fit for humans. The asian women who run it are as cold and dumpy as the place itself. Their customer service is to tell me to clean my own room, move my car to on street parking and were very unpleasant when I asked for aircon to be turned on. Upon walking into the unit, I was hit with a thunderbolt of odours. One I recognised as mould and second, dust. There is no visible evidence of it, however, I suspected after scratching myself from dusk to dawn - it was the mattressess. An ipod has a bigger screen than the tv in the room. The linen has never met fab much less seen the inside of a washing machine. To suggest this place to anyone, would be embarrassing. I would not let my dog stay there. The stench from the rubbish bins (under the aircon) is another beauty. Make sure to take your whole house if you are lucky enough to experience such a gem in the heart of burwood.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I needed a budget room in Sydney with a refrigerator, so that ruled out pub-style rooms. Then I saw this B&B with a room for a very reasonable price (and note that Sydney is way up there on the list of most expensive world cities in 2013).
The majority of previous reviews of this property on this website aren't positive. This lead me to believe this B&B would be "rough" and "dirty", and the staff unhelpful, and so I went in with low expectations.
But I was very pleasantly surprised at my experience. The staff were in fact very friendly and helpful to me. The building was not "run down" - I would describe it as having a charming, rustic ambience. (It is billed as a B&B after all, not as a branch of a slick hotel chain.) It was also very tidy and orderly. Everything worked (showers, toilets, TV, window blinds etc). My room and the bedding was spotless with no odors, and my towel was new; furniture wasn't new, but it was perfectly functional. The B&B was also conveniently close to the train station (which is just two stops from the city center on express trains), and to Burwood's many types of eateries. Yet the neighborhood was quiet, and I slept very peacefully.
Oh yeah, there WERE some leaves on the walkway out front - under the leafy canopy of eucalyptus trees in the garden. If a few wind-scattered leaves on the ground outside are a deal-breaker for you, then you'd better save up your pennies and stay at one of those corporate hotels with plastic shrubbery.
If room price stays the same, I'll most likely be back next time I'm visiting Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank G H
Penrose, Australia
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I find this a most difficult review to write. I will review it as a "Dog Hotel", as that was the only reason we selected the property. We spent 3 nights there. The previous reviews certainly worried us. We expected the worse but it was surprisingly better. We would definitely not stay there if travelling without a pet, a situation we could not avoid this time.

The room was small but had private facilities (caravan type module) and a direct outside door to take the dog outside when required. Tiled floor makes for easy cleaning if required. Towels were certainly better than a previous reviewer experienced! Room was fairly clean except for the odd cobweb or 3!

Hosts were attentive and helpful. Cooked breakfast is included but we just helped ourselves to a continental breakfast.

Just a 2 minute stroll up the road is Burwood RSL with a great bistro! They even do take aways if you require.

Grounds were very untidy and overgrown but a gardener arrived on our last day and things were tidied up pretty well. Noise is not too bad but the inability to fully close the old venetian blinds did not help sleep. Bedding was Ok and the pillows very good.

We tended to eat outside in the "garden areas" which were a bit ordinary but the space was good. TV had both local channels and a selection of Foxtel, including Fox Sports which I appreciated.

So, if staying with a pet, there are not many options around, so beggars cannot be choosers!

Room Tip: Take a 2 minute stroll up the street to Burwood RSL. Very good bistro and good value drinks as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Whakatipu2530
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burwood
Shilla Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Strathfield
Ibis Budget Enfield
#1 of 2 in Strathfield South
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Central Business District
Central Station Hotel
Central Station Hotel
#80 of 175 in Sydney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,267 reviews

Been to Burwood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!