“Lovely hotel and great staff”

and 1 more site!
Altinkaya Holiday Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ozankoy
Glasgow, Scotland
“Lovely hotel and great staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here in June 2013, we read the reviews and went with an open mind however I have no complaints and I'm honestly not sure what people are complaining about!
We arrived and had been "upgraded" to the hotel however my other half wanted an apartment as promised and so we asked to be moved - reception explained the only one they had left was one that had not been renovated yet - we viewed it and decided it suited our holiday better - living room, kitchenette type thing, bathroom and the bedroom was upstairs. Absolutely it needs renovated but they specifically tried to put us in the hotel instead which is beautiful and so we definitely can't complain. The newly renovated apartments/rooms are lovely!

The pool was lovely - great temp for swimming in but definitely cools you down after sitting in the intense heat. Always a sun lounger free no matter the time of day. People were polite enough to remove their towels if leaving for any length of time.

Bar was excellent - after the first order and chat with the bar manager he would know you by sight and practically have your drink sitting on the bar waiting on you! You want a cocktail that's not on the menu he will make you one - his mojito should really be added! Friendly and excellent service from all staff.

Restaurant seems to be the majority of people's complaints - I enjoyed the food but I'm not a particularly fussy eater and wanted to try the local cuisine. If you want chips then town is not far away where you will find a restaurant that will serve you chips! Each night there was something different - tip - make sure you go into reception each morning and check out the options. We did not know about this and so took what we were given. As with most hotels there was a buffet selection for starter with pastas, salad etc available. Desert was also served like this. For the money we paid I genuinely can't complain - there was fresh fish, a BBQ, meat dishes etc.

The biggest complaint we had was our rep - he was rude and dismissive but in no way is this a reflection of the hotel or the staff, this is an issue I will take up with our travel agent. The hotel staff genuinely couldn't do enough for you, for a warm and welcoming stay then this is the hotel for you.

Tip - book your car from across the road at the hotel, your rep will charge you more and claims it is to do with the insurance cover you get - we got it for £30 cheaper across the road and couldn't see the difference in cover!
There are buses that run and if you're reasonably fit then you could walk into Kyrenia - we walked in and back with no great issues.

A genuinely lovely hotel and great value for money!

2 Thank Linz01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at this complex and have mixed feelings about it. On the plus side: the grounds in the main site are beautiful and well cared for; the staff are extremely friendly and helpful; bar prices are very reasonable; large swimming pool with plenty of loungers (bring your own pool towels); free shuttle bus to town thrice daily; free shuttle bus to beach club once a day; variety of accommodation. We were located in the smaller Residence on the other side of the street with some accommodation similar to the main site. We were allocated 2 'bungalows' which consisted of a reasonable sized sitting area and full bathroom on the ground floor and a galleried double bedroom on the upper level which was reached by a very steep, open-tread marble staircase. The bungalows were set around a pool again with adequate loungers. The rooms were simply but comfortably furnished.

On the downside: choice of food was limited and repetetive and we dined out a couple of evenings; Turkish mezze was available self-service at breakfast and dinner but as it was uncovered it attracted flies; lots of other people have mentioned the cats which wander around the dining areas! The accommodation in the Residence is situated on the first floor above an unused restaurant and coffee shop. There is an attractive open air bar alongside the pool which we discovered was leased out and seemed to be a mecca for many non-residents; this together with the variety of unknown and often boisterous children who appeared to use the pool helped shatter the relaxed atmosphere which residents were expecting.

Re value for money: we had booked the package through a travel agent 3 weeks before departure and were lead to believe that we were getting ' good deal'. However, we discovered in conversation with other guests that most of them had paid a fraction of our cost by booking via the net.

Would I go back? Only if I could be guaranteed that I would be accommodated in the main hotel building or in a ground floor studio and only on a bed and breakfast basis.

Room Tip: main hotel building, low bungalows 200------>, ground floor studios 300----->
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Agnes D
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My first week back from a lovely two week stay at the Altikaya Holiday Resort. Please find listed below good and negative points.

Good Points
Friendly and helpful staff, especially Rambo (waiter) and Stephanie (Receptionist), Stephanie went out of her way to help me with an alternative airport transfer that I had requested with the tour Operator, she went beyond her job role by chasing up and keeping me informed whilst the holiday representative was on holiday. Rambo assisted with maintenence issues in our bungalow also beyond his job role. A new outside bar had been situated at the front of the hotel, Serhan the bar manager is very friendly, serhans mum and dad own a resturant called Serhan`s Rosegarden which is a short taxi ride from the hotel (approx 10 Lira each way) the meze is great and plentiful, main meals can be ordered via Serhan a day prior like Kleftiko or fish dishes. A small free bus service provided by the hotel to the town three times per day 10 a.m, 1 p.m and 5 p.m, ensure that you get to the collection point which is situated at the hotel entrance ten minuets prior to ensure you get a space. Rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and clean towels are also provided daily. The hotel grounds/gardens are kept immaculate. The pool is clean and not overly crowded, a new hand rail has been fitted to the walk in to the pool since my visit last year. There are two local supermarkets Starling (5 Minuit walk) and Lemar (10 minuit walk) I would recommend Lemar for more value for money and more selection.

Bad Points
I had noticed an increase in cats more so than last year, I was rather annoyed that visitors fed them at the dining area, I saw cats in the indoor dining area also climbing up on tables. I feel that this issue needs to be resumed.
The food was 50/50 some evenings you had a good choice of meze starters, other evenings a lot of the dishes were empty. The main meals were quite repetitive mainly consisting of meatballs or fish, the chicken dishes were either dry or full of small bones.
We had an issue with the air conditioning unit in our bungalow, the unit dripped water constantly, this issue took a few days to sort, I had reported this issue three times in total before it was resolved.

I would recommend this hotel, I had a great stay and would defiantly return again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 504115Rachel
Bristol
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We have recently returned from 2 weeks holiday at Altinkaya Holiday Resort. Extremely helpful reception staff, nothing is too much trouble, they are definitely there to help with any problems.. Lovely swimming pool and gardens. Choice of food was very poor, only one main and one alternative which had to be ordered by midday. Mezze was almost the same every day, melon for breakfast and dessert every day. The food was definitely provided the cheapest it could be. Unfortunately there is a very busy road running next to the pool area, making it very noisy, such a shame when you are trying to relax. The cats, what a problem they are at meal times. They climb on the buffet food area and tables to eat what is left, sit on the chairs, and are always around your feet. The waiters trip over them, so do visitors. They are an absolute menace, and far too many of them. I am an animal lover, but there is a time and place where they should be. Anywhere near human food is not the right place. Hygiene please!!!

Room Tip: Across the road from main complex you do not feel part of the complex. Bungalow 118 needs totally re...
4 Thank RichardsmBristol
Somerset,UK
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit in 2 years to the Altinkaya and I will definitely return, as do most of the guests.
Firstly, the staff here are so hard working and friendly and will go the extra mile for you.
I can't praise Stephanie on reception high enough, we had a request with the Tour Op for our return transfer and she chased them up and kept us posted each day....beyond her job role but we were very grateful for her help.
The staff on reception, the bar and in the restaurant again were all very helpful and friendly especially Rambo who helped when we had a few issues with our air con, he fixed it and he is only a member of the bar/restaurant team.
A new outdoor bar has opened this year which was really nice and encouraged people to sit, chat, drink and make new friends.
The pool was spotlessly clean at all times and the gardens immaculately looked after.
Our room was a bungalow to the left of the path on entrance to the hotel grounds, it was ideal,clean and had the most comfy beds.
The food was a little hit and miss, the cold meze starters was fab as I like that food, the main meal rarely changed from chicken, fish or meat balls but one night I didn't like either choice, but when I had to advise reception what i wanted Stephanie arranged an alternative without me having to ask. For what you pay for the evening meal it was fine and we always had a night or two out to have a change of scene and try local restaurants, but if you don't like taxis or walking then eat at the hotel!
Breakfast was plentiful.
The bar was reasonable and you now sign for your drinks to your room bill as opposed to just giving your room number. Serhan the barman was very friendly and had a good rapport with the guests.
My only moan would be about the Cats, the hotel feeds the cats in a specific area at the rear of the hotel daily so they aren't starving or ill looking, but some guests take it upon themselves to feed the cats in the outdoor terrace at breakfast and you can have 5 or 6 sat by a table, personally I can't stand cats and don't like having them around my feet when eating so made them go away, I feel the hotel could put signs up asking guests not to feed the cats in the terrace where food is eaten and maybe they will keep away, after all they don't starve. The harbour is a thirty minute stroll away but the pavements aren't great. There is a supermarket 5 minutes walk away and a few more shops, eateries and a bigger supermarket 10-15 minutes walk away.
The views of the mountains and the village of Bellapais,a ten minute drive away, are stunning.
Keep up the good work Altinkaya hotel I will definitely return, the hotel is in a great place to explore northern Cyprus!!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank s0mersetb0y
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

just came back from a fantastic holiday yet again from the same resort last went there 2 years ago,
the hotel was in great condition,. the food was first class, great bbq on thursday night with live music worth the money spent, the new bar area was so outstanding with a great chocie of drinks, the staff was so helpful i needed help with getting out to see sights of the Girne area, was recommended to go and see the bellapais area, breath taking views, so near from the hotel, it was sad leaving as i was so looked after well, cannot wait to go back in october.
big thanks to all staff who made my visit so enjoyable

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SPURS19640609
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Just returned from 7 nights at this hotel, it was faultless . Okay the food was maybe not al'acarte but hey, for the price we paid, with free half board upgrade it was more than adequate .Breakfast was plentiful, staff were all very helpful without exception & nothing was to much trouble. The room we were allocated which they describe as a bungalow was perfect & spotless clean. All in all a great holiday.

1 Thank Anne48_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ozankoy
Hotel Pia Bella
#1 of 30 in Kyrenia
Acapulco Resort & Convention & SPA
Bellapais Monastery Village
Kyrenia Palace Boutique Hotel

Been to Altinkaya Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!