“Location not ideal but good value”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Canterbury is one of those locations where hotel accommodation can cost a fortune. The Holiday Inn Express is a good option for those looking to stay at a more reasonable cost.

The location, about 10 mins drive outside the city centre, may not be the most appealing, hid behind a petrol station on the A2. Don't expect scenic views here but the double glazing in the rooms cuts out most of the busy road noise.

Check in was somewhat cold and clinical - with the receptionist saying 'I suppose you want to check in' but after that odd welcome it was an efficient check in.

The rooms themselves are of the old Holiday Inn Express design, rather than the more recent refurbished hotels in the chain but are clean, bright and well furnished. The bathrooms are small but again clean and well maintained.

Wifi is free in the rooms but make sure you get a voucher at check in, if not you will need to return to reception for the code.

The only gripe was that there is no temperature control in the room, just a wall heater. This wasn't working in my room, but the weather was fine so wasn't needed.

An early departure meant breakfast wasn't used so can't comment on the food and beverage options at the hotel.

A good hotel that provides real alternative from the more expensive offerings in the city centre.

Room Tip: Double glazing works but if you really want to avoid noise from the A2 ask for a room at the back of...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Skywalker3
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Holiday inn Express Canterbury.
Please allow me to express my apologies for any lapse in service you experienced as it is not a true reflection of the service we pride ourselves on providing at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury. I have already spoken to my team and measures have been taken not to repeat them.
We are concerned with the satisfaction of all of our guests and if the opportunity to return to Canterbury itself and you are willing to give us a return visit, please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The location is not the best... But apart from that, there is little to criticise at this price. The rooms are comfy and you are offered different pillows (soft or firm). They offer (for free) to supply little things you may have forgotten, such as toothpaste. The internet connection is also free. Check in was efficient, the room was clean and the shower was powerful. Breakfast was a little chaotic and it's not great quality, but at this price it's hard to complain.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following a recent stay at our hotel.It's truly encouraging.I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for one night in march for a weekend break.The Hotel is next to a service station and only 5mins by car to the town centre.The staff were really friendly and helpful and we were speedy with our check in.The room was very clean and comfortable and we would stay here again when visiting Canterbury.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following a recent stay at our hotel.It's plesure to hear that you have enjoyed the stay.I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My boyfriend and I came for a week-end away for the first time in a hotel, and it was fantastic, that i did not want to go home. The staff were very helpful and you always got a good morning and asked if they could do anything for you. My boyfriend and I are both disabled and we would go back again very soon. The food was brilliant, and well done to the chef. The bedroom was nice and clean, and bed very comfortable. We were near a duel carrigeway, but we didnt find it noisey. At the moment we are sorting dates out again to go back to the hotel.
A very well done to all the staff to make people very welcome staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Its excellent service and food, and comfortable beds and clean rooms, and excellent for value.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great comments.It was our plesure having you at Holiday inn Express Canterbury.
Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

My first impressions were not fantastic, it was located on a service station area near a garage. The welcome at check in was fantastic, my room was perfect it was clean and had everything I needed, taxis were 10 each way into Canterbury which represented great value.
I ate in the restaurant and the food was fantastic, compliments to the chef.
Great welcoming friendly feeling, would highly recommend.

Dear Guest,

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here lt November for a weekend . It wasnt great , the bed was very uncomfortable the room was so so . Breakfeast was very average items had run out not topped up . Would I stay here again ? No

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Holiday inn Express Canterbury.
I do take full responsibility for any shortfalls in the morning of the hotel and I am personally following up on the feedback you have posted.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holidayinn Express Canterbury, sometime in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Firstly, when I checked in the heater was broken so was cold in the night and TV didnt work. I was tired so decided to sleep in the room, for the night and change the following morning. I couldnt sleep at all during the night the motorway was so loud it was very difficult to sleep.
So in the morning when I ate the full english breakfast(which was 3 items sausage, scrambled eggs and beans). I changed the room the following night, when I tried to use my mobile phone guess what it didnt work no coverage, due to the inconvenient location. This was later confirmed by the other guests whom I asked whom had the same problem.
When I decided to leave requested for a a taxi waited for 1 hour, and than went down and she said theres a traffic jam and in the background was smiling staff, it was like they knew that they didnt bother calling for a taxi. When I called the taxi and asked the taximan he said there was no traffic jam and they only received the call 10 minutes ago and that I must have been mistaken.
Honestly, Ive never stayed in a hotel like this, this hotel is just like faulty towers.
Only stay in this hotel if you have no choice and everywhere else is booked, as this is a terrible hotel and there are better hotels out there. Dont be put through the horrible experience I went through.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest
I am very disappointed to read your review especially that it has taken almost 6 months for you to post your comments on your stay which was in October 2011? I would expect after reading your review that it would be beneficial to post such comments sooner.

We strive to provide each Guest with a good experience and our staff is truly committed to ensure that you have an enjoyable stay; they are all friendly and professional.

Over 93% of our Reviewers have been satisfied with their stay.
We are committed to ensure that all our Guests have an enjoyable stay and we would be very grateful to hear of this as soon as possible and to be given the opportunity to rectify any shortcomings during your stay.

Best Regards

Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#10 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!