We spent two nights here in order to spend a day touring Canterbury. If you have a car, it is convenient (on the A2 outside of Canterbury). Many English towns have a Park-and-Ride service - there it costs 2.50 GBP to park for a day and take a bus into town (up to six people). We chose this option over staying in a hotel in town - many of which don't have parking unless they are expensive, and for our purposes it was excellent. We spent the day in town covering the sites we wanted to see (Cathedral, St Augustine Abbey, and others). The hotel is in an isolated spot (the only close-by business was a gas station) which means that if you want dinner you either have to drive or eat at the hotel. Since we like a bottle of wine with dinner, driving was out. The hotel, however, had three separate tour groups that took up all the dining room (and two other meeting rooms). We had to eat in the Lobby (which was noisy). The next morning there was a half-hour wait in line to get breakfast and it was hard to find a table. It was so bad we almost checked out to find another place for the second night, but in the end decided it would be too much trouble. The next night we brought back sandwiches (from Pret a Manger) and a bottle of wine to "dine" in the room. The positive of the hotel was that the breakfast was fairly good (it said a "continental breakfast" but it had scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage - as we found in many other English hotels that promised "continental breakfast.")
The room was very comfortable for the price - which, incidentally, seemed to be much cheaper by reserving at the hotel chain website and using AAA or AARP rates than using any of the many other web services. If it were not for the tour groups, I would have given this another star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern 89 room hotel offering well appointed guest rooms with writing desk, TV, Hair Dryer, and Tea & Coffee making facilities. The hotel offers free WiFi, and car parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Canterbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Hotel Upper Harbledown
- Holiday Inn Canterbury
- Canterbury Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Upper Harbledown