“What can one say about poor manners?”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
“What can one say about poor manners?”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

At this writing, Sept. 27th, 2013, I am in room 133 of the Canterbury Hol. Inn Exp.
When my wife and I arrived at 2:20 this afternoon we were greeted by the asst. mgr. Maria who told us to sit and wait until she finished her business. She then proceeded to start counting money, and more money, enter the sum into a ledger, count some more, enter in ledger.....over and over!! After counting she pulled out the MASTER ledger and entered figures. 13 minutes later she abruptly turned around and left the room. Enter the manager, Mr. Rohatha who told us that we really shouldn't expect to be checked in until three o' clock but perhaps they might have one ready. Ah....there was one room ready and it was now 2:53. Lucky us.
Staff in dining room still disappointed to discover they weren't,in fact, Royalty but just minimum wage help. Poking fun at Americans to their face is just poor manners in any country.

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank R Ramey
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments posted on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear about your stay and surprised with your comments. You arrived at the hotel on Friday the 27th September well before the check-in time and my colleague at the desk explain to you and were told to be seated till we get a room sorted. We did not have our hotel reservation system working during this time. My colleague then started finish her work till she get the operating system back. During this time I came out and help you with some directions to the Canterbury city center. At no time we kept you waiting unnecessarily .Please accept my apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed here when dropping my son off at University. Room was clean, bed comfortable. Was a bit concerned about possible traffic noise when I arrived, but that didn't disturb me (as hotel is sunk low down from the road). Had no problems in finding it (from either side of the dual carriageway). Only problem was the lack of mobile phone signal - had to walk up the hill a little way. Free wi-fi worked well.

Didn't have much appetite at breakfast but there seemed to be plenty of food and decent coffee selection. Would certainly use again when dropping/collecting from the University (only 10 mins away).

Room Tip: There's no lift, so if you have mobility problems, then specify a ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank elswickian
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in this hotel. And yes it is a simple hotel for a simple price. There is a cooked breakfast, I correct myself, there is a somewhat of higher temperature assembly of food. No bacon and the "scrambled" eggs seem to be made of egg-powder and water. But here is nothing different from other " express" hotels. The one thing that was bugging me was the attitude of most of the staff. They are NOT aimed to deliver a good customer service. It is almost that you have to convince them to deliver the service that you are entitled to. Normally I would file a complaint with the management. This time I felt that people who seemed to be form the management acted the same. So next time we are staying in Canterbury I will find another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gerard V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Gerard V,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. It is very regrettable to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the breakfast selection and customer service. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Just an average Holiday Inn, but with no lift. Is advertised as Canterbury, but found it quite inconvenient to get into and out of as it is on the edge of the motorway. Too far away from Canterbury to walk, but not sure about the public transport. I also felt is was rather expensive for its position. Staff were efficient, and we had an acceptable meal & breakfast.

Room Tip: Room facing away from the service station, and motorway.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jmfish63
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear jmfish63,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please allow us to apologize for the short falls you have experienced during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I’ve spent one night in this hotel on a business trip. The location was comfortable, along the main road, but clearly not suitable for an evening walk. I didn’t have too much contact with the staff but for those couple of minutes they were friendly and helpful. The bed was a bit hard but I would have slept anyway well if not for the ventilation system of the kitchen that became very loud at 6 am – right under my window. I don’t remember the room number but it was the room right in front of the upper landing of the stairs, avoid it if you want to sleep. Besides, the overall quality was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Andras_8222,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the noise had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Carlisle, Cumbria
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

We have just retuned from a 2 night stay here. Can't say we we're over-impressed with the hotel as a whole, although we must admit that the staff are very friendly and helpful so not complaints there. We found the rooms to be of a good size, and clean too, but the beds were very uncomfortable. Neither myself or my husband slept properly for the two nights due to the fact we kept rolling into each other in the dip in the middle of the bed. The choice of pillows is great, but you do need a comfortable bed in orde to appreciate them! Our only other quibble was with the 'restaurant', or should I say school canteen... Over-priced food in what is basically a highly lit and uncomfortable dining room was not great. Absolutely no comfort factor there whatsoever! I appreciate the lack of space, but a more creative use of this space would be nice to actually make it feel more like a hotel restaurant than a school canteen.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear cathandpete,

Thank you for your feedback, highlighting the good and detailing the opportunities to improve. It is nice to know that our staff was accommodating to your needs. Please accept my apologies however for the dissatisfaction you may have had with the condition of the beds that you were allocated and if your dining experience was sub par. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had no trouble finding the hotel, more luck than judgement, but some signs would be really helpful especially when returning from Canterbury. (The council really should take notice!! not everyone likes driving round just because the council don't think a sign or two are necessary) The room was beautifully clean as was the rest of the hotel. If we opened the window it was quite noisy but we had a fan in the room so it was comfortable. The staff were very friendly especially when we chatted to them. We returned to the hotel for two evening meals, both were freshly cooked and delicious and very reasonably priced. The drinks from the bar however were quite expensive, but that is usual in hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#12 of 16 in Canterbury
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!