“Great Room but Awful Breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Canterbury

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
London, United Kingdom
“Great Room but Awful Breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

A nice hotel but experience soured by a poor breakfast.
Probably one of the worst ive seen.
Dry scrambled eggs, beans and tiny skinless shriveled sausages, that's it !
No bacon, no fried eggs or boiled eggs etc, thought it was a one off on the first day, but no, same on second day as well.
If you do stay here eat elsewhere, the rooms are nice & the place is spotless.
You will need a car as hotel is a fair distance from the city centre.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear cfcglen,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel and rooms. We regret to read that your experience with the breakfast selections did not match your expectations at all. Your feedback is valuable as it enables us to improve our products and services.

Again thank you for your time and we do hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have stayed a couple of times whilst visiting family & both experiences have been good. The staff are friendly & helpful. The rooms are clean, tidy & well maintained & the breakfast (which is free) is adequate. It is also only 5-10 minutes drive from the centre of Canterbury which is a beautiful city. Obviously it isn't the Hilton but you couldn't get much better for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are better.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two night while visiting relatives in the area. Staff were very pleasant. After travelling 200 miles with two under 3s we were pleased to be able to check in slightly early. Room was clean, pull out bed ready made, saving us much hassle. Bathroom clean and spacious. Breakfast was okay - only disapointment is the hot items only consisted of beans, sausages and scrambled egg. I think if you have cooked items it should be all or nothing. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
Romsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

On Sunday 1st September I checked in to the Holiday Inn Express Canterbury for two nights to attend CLIA’s Luxury Cruise Expo at Dover. On returning from the first day’s event around 4.30PM, I found the door to my room wide open with my laptop and other items in full view. The latch was out and I was unable to shut the door. Thankfully after checking the room nothing had been taken but I did discover that although the bed had been made the room had not been serviced. As I was unable to shut the door I did not want to risk leaving the room so I called reception but did not get a reply. After several rings and a couple of minutes I just gave up. Eventually I managed to get the bolt to retract and before going out for the evening I reported the issue to reception. I was told the matter would be reported to the housekeeping staff and they would get back to me. The following morning when I checked nothing was said. After two weeks of waiting for an email, phone call or letter of apology I thought I would report the incident to head office. After checking on the IHG website I found an on-line form which I completed with the full details of the incident. According to the form I should have received a reply by the 20th September. I never received any response so I decided to write a letter to head office. The letter was sent to IHG's customer service manager on the 19th October and I am still waiting for that apology and explanation. I am now so incensed by the lack of customer service coming from the whole company that I feel I need to at least get my point of view across some how. Sadly I am finding more and more that customer service is only skin deep. I consider the issue I have was very serious and I am not sure what would have happened if I had returned to my room and found things had been stolen! I hope that CLIA do not decide to use this hotel again when they hold another event at Dover.

Room Tip: I slept in a room next to the road and the only way I could get to sleep was with a pillow to keep o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank Explorer Expedi... T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Explorer Expedi... T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your interactions with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We would like to look further into your experience, and have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to being of further assistance.

Ben J

Travellers are raving about these Upper Harbledown hotels

Stamford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

An awful experience staying here, due to poorly sound proofed rooms, an extremely busy road outside your window. Windows poorly fitted letting lots of draughts and noise through. Room was adequate inside, good level of towels, although I had dirty sheets for 2 days. Electrical work being carried out in reception even in the early evenings. Inadequate seating for breakfast. Poor breakfast advertised as hot breakfast, you should advertise that a full English breakfast is not offered. Does not compare with Travel lodges, premier Inns etc in any way. I made the mistake of assuming the words Holiday Inn represented some type of quality. Don't think this is central for visiting Canterbury, a real pain getting back to it at night as it takes you miles out your way. I did like the free newspaper though at Breakfast.

Room Tip: Watch out for the new premier inn they are currently building in Canterbury, location is good for th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Judith M,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize for the inconvenience the noise, your room accommodation and the service you received had caused you. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
porthmadog
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Yeah second time here, as before nice and clean and friendly,
A bit of up grading was going on during our 2 night stay but caused us no problems, I like the free wifi, Buffet breakfast very good although the muesli has far to much sugar in it,
We will stay again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wendover UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for the night of 25th October 2013 having booked a family room.
On our arrival the Reception Staff were very pleasant and most helpful and cooperative.
Our room was clean and very adequate. The fold-away bed was already in place and made-up and all bed linen was of a good standard - white being white and not grey-white.
The bathroom again nicely appointed, very clean and again plenty of towels provided.
There was a varied supply of coffee/tea etc.
We had dinner in the evening in the Restaurant - and again tables were cleared promptly and wiped, and the food was good.
Breakfast buffet the following morning and included in the price proved a good selection of the usual continental type and also English if required. It was a nice surprise to see good quality yoghourt provided - a nice touch as it showed a thoughtful attitude towards the standard the Hotel was aiming for.
This Hotel can be recommended and we found our short stay surprisingly good and value for money.

Room Tip: Difficult to say as this was our first introduction to this Hotel, but our room was screened from th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#12 of 17 in Canterbury
Canterbury Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
#4 of 17 in Canterbury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!