“Good for the price (when it's low!)”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
germany
“Good for the price (when it's low!)”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have stayed at HIE a few times, but this was our first stay at this one. It is one step up from a basic budget hotel, having a bigger and better standard of room and facilities. It has to be remembered that the breakfast they offer is free, so therefore to have this included in a total price of around forty pounds is very good. It is all a matter of expectation…if you go here expecting a full English, you will be disappointed. But if you have the attitude…’it’s free…and there are SOME hot items…you will probably enjoy it more. If you put the focus on what there IS on offer, rather than what there is not, your experience could be improved!! Having said this, we only stay at HIE’s when they have a special offer and if we were paying seventy or eighty pounds a night, we would not be happy with the breakfast.

Our room was very good- clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Make sure you get your free wi-fi code for each user on check in. Staff were friendly and helpful and the location was very good.

The worst thing for us was the mayhem at breakfast which was caused by the silly positioning of the coffee machine in a corner which created a ‘people jam’. They really need two machines here, and to have a re-think about where they are positioned. The machine needed frequently attending to as the beans ran out and it needed emptying. It was neither big enough nor powerful enough to match the demands of the amount of people using it. The staff were calm when they were attending to the machine, but could have improved the situation by offering a smile and some humour to the waiting queue.

All in all, we would definitely use this hotel again, if we weren’t on such a tight schedule as we were this time, so that we could avoid peak time breakfast. But only when they have a special offer on price.Where else can you get a good standard of room and service, with a late bar, free wi-fi and a breakfast of cereal, yoghurts, pastries , scrambled egg , sausages and beans and toast etc for around 40 pounds for two people? Nowhere that we have found in England. Even when the budget chain hotels have their cheapest offers, you still have to pay extra for breakfast and wi-fi and for a more basic standard of room.

1 Thank europair

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A nice hotel but experience soured by a poor breakfast.
Probably one of the worst ive seen.
Dry scrambled eggs, beans and tiny skinless shriveled sausages, that's it !
No bacon, no fried eggs or boiled eggs etc, thought it was a one off on the first day, but no, same on second day as well.
If you do stay here eat elsewhere, the rooms are nice & the place is spotless.
You will need a car as hotel is a fair distance from the city centre.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear cfcglen,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel and rooms. We regret to read that your experience with the breakfast selections did not match your expectations at all. Your feedback is valuable as it enables us to improve our products and services.

Again thank you for your time and we do hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

Zelyn N
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have stayed a couple of times whilst visiting family & both experiences have been good. The staff are friendly & helpful. The rooms are clean, tidy & well maintained & the breakfast (which is free) is adequate. It is also only 5-10 minutes drive from the centre of Canterbury which is a beautiful city. Obviously it isn't the Hilton but you couldn't get much better for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are better.
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two night while visiting relatives in the area. Staff were very pleasant. After travelling 200 miles with two under 3s we were pleased to be able to check in slightly early. Room was clean, pull out bed ready made, saving us much hassle. Bathroom clean and spacious. Breakfast was okay - only disapointment is the hot items only consisted of beans, sausages and scrambled egg. I think if you have cooked items it should be all or nothing. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

On Sunday 1st September I checked in to the Holiday Inn Express Canterbury for two nights to attend CLIA’s Luxury Cruise Expo at Dover. On returning from the first day’s event around 4.30PM, I found the door to my room wide open with my laptop and other items in full view. The latch was out and I was unable to shut the door. Thankfully after checking the room nothing had been taken but I did discover that although the bed had been made the room had not been serviced. As I was unable to shut the door I did not want to risk leaving the room so I called reception but did not get a reply. After several rings and a couple of minutes I just gave up. Eventually I managed to get the bolt to retract and before going out for the evening I reported the issue to reception. I was told the matter would be reported to the housekeeping staff and they would get back to me. The following morning when I checked nothing was said. After two weeks of waiting for an email, phone call or letter of apology I thought I would report the incident to head office. After checking on the IHG website I found an on-line form which I completed with the full details of the incident. According to the form I should have received a reply by the 20th September. I never received any response so I decided to write a letter to head office. The letter was sent to IHG's customer service manager on the 19th October and I am still waiting for that apology and explanation. I am now so incensed by the lack of customer service coming from the whole company that I feel I need to at least get my point of view across some how. Sadly I am finding more and more that customer service is only skin deep. I consider the issue I have was very serious and I am not sure what would have happened if I had returned to my room and found things had been stolen! I hope that CLIA do not decide to use this hotel again when they hold another event at Dover.

Room Tip: I slept in a room next to the road and the only way I could get to sleep was with a pillow to keep o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank Explorer Expedi... T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Explorer Expedi... T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate your interactions with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We would like to look further into your experience, and have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to being of further assistance.

Ben J

Travellers are raving about these Upper Harbledown hotels

Stamford
Reviewed 6 November 2013

An awful experience staying here, due to poorly sound proofed rooms, an extremely busy road outside your window. Windows poorly fitted letting lots of draughts and noise through. Room was adequate inside, good level of towels, although I had dirty sheets for 2 days. Electrical work being carried out in reception even in the early evenings. Inadequate seating for breakfast. Poor breakfast advertised as hot breakfast, you should advertise that a full English breakfast is not offered. Does not compare with Travel lodges, premier Inns etc in any way. I made the mistake of assuming the words Holiday Inn represented some type of quality. Don't think this is central for visiting Canterbury, a real pain getting back to it at night as it takes you miles out your way. I did like the free newspaper though at Breakfast.

Room Tip: Watch out for the new premier inn they are currently building in Canterbury, location is good for th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Judith M,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize for the inconvenience the noise, your room accommodation and the service you received had caused you. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
porthmadog
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Yeah second time here, as before nice and clean and friendly,
A bit of up grading was going on during our 2 night stay but caused us no problems, I like the free wifi, Buffet breakfast very good although the muesli has far to much sugar in it,
We will stay again

#2 of 16 in Canterbury
Canterbury Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
#5 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!