This hotel should not have been built. A large number of the rooms are literally just feet away from the dual cariageway A2 and the noise never relents.
I booked two rooms for two nights 4 months before our visit (on the Holiday Inn Express web site) and requested that we be allocated rooms at the rear of the hotel away from the road. Guess what - our rooms were the last but one from the road! The check-in staff were totally useless and disinterested in sorting this out as they did not want to upset the 50+ coach party also booked in to the hotel.
The room itself was very badly designed. There was a purpose built shelf for the tea and coffee maker - but no power point! There was a full length mirror with a built in hair dryer but no power socket for your own drier or hair straighteners. One power point would have resolved both these fundamental design flaws. My daughter called for an extension cable to be told they had all been let out - now there's a surprise!!
The air vents/extractor fan in the bathroom was not working - a call to reception at 3.45pm elicited the response - "maintenance have gone home"! Shoudl have gone home myself at that point!
The TVs are analogue with a bare minumum of channels. The breakfast is a joke. The food is fine but the layout is truly appalling and not surprisingly there are a large number of dropped trays and mugs - a child could tell you what is wrong with the flow. Although there is a sign saying "please put your trays here", the 50+ coach party did not speak English and the queues also obliterated the sign. I watched at least two members of staff come out of the kitchen and then amble back passing all these trays and did nothing about it - customers had to squat in reception to eat or else sit next to somebody else's trash.
Do youself a favour - book into a Premier Inn (5 foot beds, digital TV, staff who care and take notice of request) and go to Macdonalds or a supermarket for breakfast! If you can't find a Premier Inn - go anywhere else!!
I have travelled extensilvely for over 40 years and never come across such a truly awful set up - the management should be ashamed and the Canterbuty planners should be hung drawn and quatered in Cantebury Tales fashion for allowing human beings to have to try and sleep so close to one of the country's main trunk roads.
You have been warned!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern 89 room hotel offering well appointed guest rooms with writing desk, TV, Hair Dryer, and Tea & Coffee making facilities. The hotel offers free WiFi, and car parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelsClick, Agoda, Hotel.de, HRS and Ebookers so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Canterbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Hotel Upper Harbledown
- Holiday Inn Canterbury
- Canterbury Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Upper Harbledown