“I nearly gave up and looked for another hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Gibraltar, Europe
“I nearly gave up and looked for another hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

Even with Sat Nav I missed the turning - and then ended up travelling for another 15 minutes before I got to the hotel. I thought I would never find it in the dark. I wondered why I had booked a hotel that was so remote.

Once we got in my doubts vanished. I found that there was a campaign to improve the signeage - it is not just me :) Ample parking on site (who else would want to be in this spot!!) There was free wifi in the hotel all night. We needed it. We also had hit on curry night - a nice meal. I love the free breakfast at HEI, I don't feel overcharged for breakfast. The room was not huge, but it was big enough for the 2 of us and 2 large suitcases.

It is a hotel for a roadtrip rather than a base to explore from but I had no complaints.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed in this Holiday Inn for two nights at the beginning of October. It was easy to find after reading previous reviews / reading the instructions on our booking confirmation. We had a quiet room away from the A2, it was spacious, clean and very satisfactory. The breakfast was very nice and had a good choice. The hotel is very well situated in relation to getting into Canterbury which is a lovely place. Must also praise Micky's Diner (which is next to the hotel) really good quality food and great prices even though it looks terrible from outside!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
canterbury10, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your feedback.
We will continue to maintain our standards and we always put our guest's comfort into first.

Thank You and I look forward to seeing you in the near future

Kind Reagrds

Anoob Saban
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

Stayed here for two nights, location was decent enough.
Room, toilet were clean and breakfast was fairly adequate.
Good, free wifi and parking too.
Quiet environment which made for a pleasant stay.
Signs leading to hotel could be improved though -- had to make a giant loop cuz I missed it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your feed back.

I am happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We are aware about the lack of signage and we are currently talking to Highway agencies regarding this, we hope this will be resolved very quickly

Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future

Kind Reagrds

Anoob Saban
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

Very, very happy with our stay. A basic hotel. Room was clean. Staff was efficient. Loved the breakfast. Decor was bright and cheerful. Price was incredible! Free internet. Absolutely no problems. Great access to the highway and locate attractions. We stayed in a 5 star hotel in London. Would say the only difference there wasn't staff falling all over you to carry your baggage, open doors, etc. Small item - there was a minute amount of mold in the corners in the bathroom but considering the damp climate, sure this is an ongoing battle. Would definitely book again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

You'll need to be travelling by car to use this hotel and be sure to look out for the Texaco garage inorder to find it! There is a campaign to improve the road signage,but it is directly off the A2 with the entrance being shared with Mickey's Diner.We like this hotel chain for its consistently high standards of cleanliness with all you need for a no frills stay.Breakfast has been expanded to include a couple of cooked items in addition to the usual continental range.Topping up food and crockery at peak breakfast times seemed a bit challenging,but with patience it was quickly sorted.We regularly stay in 4 and 5 star hotels,but why waste money if you simply need a good base to go exploring such beautiful places near by.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

While rather a long distance from town, the hotel is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

I stayed for four nights. Generally this hotel seems to be used as a stopover. The rooms are typical for HI express. I was in one of the rooms closest to the A2. There is some limited noise from the road but it did not stop sleeping. What bothered me more was that the curtains did not fully close in the room leaving a bit of light which was annoying. The hotel was full every night I stayed. As previously mentioned the breakfast area is way too small for the size of hotel. I generally was eating in the lobby or even just took a breakfast to my room.

This hotel really isn't that convenient for Canterbury as you can only access the hotel from one side of the A2 meaning a significant detour for the journey from the town centre. Certainly there are no bus services in this area and you will be reliant on your car.

The hotel has free wifi access which is a bonus. There is a limited evening menu at the hotel plus there is an independent roadside cafe at the location which is basic but cheap, plus a texaco petrol station.

Overall a reasonable stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#13 of 17 in Canterbury
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!