“Another Lovely Stay”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Another Lovely Stay”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Firstly, can I say that there are mixed reviews about this hotel from other travellers but this is my opinion and I can only say what I think having been here a number of times. Yes I would agree that some of the rooms do need upgrading, I have stayed in a variety of rooms in this hotel and yes some are better than others. Management need to tackle the minor maintenance issues around the hotel, I am aware there has been a lot of work carried out throughout the hotel which you can clearly see if you have been here before but get the bedrooms sorted. Now on the the good points, the hotel is set in beautiful surroundings. The conservatory, Elibank suite, games room have all been refurbished and are lovely. The food is fantastic, pool area is great, spa is always busy. There are plenty of lovely walks around the grounds. The staff we encountered were all lovely and helpful, especially Brendan who goes out of his way to help you, nothing is too much trouble for him. John on reception deserves a mention as well as he is so pleasant. Hopefully with the new operations manager in place he will address the minor issues that previous travellers have highlighted. This place could be a wee gem if managed properly.
We will be back again in the future and hope to see if management are taking on the points that travellers are highlighting. Ps it's an old building so you will get creaky floorboards but it shouldn't spoil your break!

Visited March 2014

Kinross, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Very Mixed Experience of High's and Low's”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Firstly the plus points to consider if making a booking:
1. The castle and particularly the grounds are amazing. Lovely flowing mature gardens with ravine and river running aside the hotel. Long flowing drive welcomes you.
2. The staff on the whole were excellent, polite and helpful.
3. Rooms are ok, well equipped with standard stuff.

On the other hand
1. The meal in the Blue Dug restaurant was below average at best. Poor quality food in lovely restaurant with good 'polite and helpful' staff. Fish was dry around the edges, deep fried black pudding starter more usually served in a chippy shop in Scotland rather than a establishment aiming for any sort of quality. An improvement in the kitchen staff would dramatically improve this place. I can not criticise the serving staff or decor but the quality of the food was below par. Should I go onto the tinned fruit in trifle or deep fried 'soggy' salmon balls.
2. The sauna is 'switch on by demand' and was freezing cold for the first 40 minutes, although the showers in the spa were good.
3. The whole hotel, in particular the public areas were cold, freezing cold in places and nothing like I have experienced any where in the world in a hotel.

Be warned - there are plus points but the overall experience was wrecked by poor food.

We left wishing we had booked a travel lodge and spent the difference on a quality local restaurant. If food is important to you, do yourself a favour and consider another hotel. P.S I read the past reviews and some were terrible, but I was swayed by some saying the food was ok. Unfortunately I did not listen to my head......I am no expert in food, but I am definitely on the side of the reviews who stated the food was poor.....

Visited November 2013
Scotland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Dim swim!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The spa was adequate and relaxing with a small (very dimly lit) swimming pool, a sauna, a jacuzzi and 2 heated marble beds. The fragrance shower was a novelty! The changing area was clean and comfortable with a pleasant heated floor. Just the job!

Visited November 2013
Larkhall, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great staff, badly managed”
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We booked full price via Mercure but seemingly their Groupon offer had them at maximum capacity.
No management of the place whatsoever and felt sorry for most of the staff although some seemed hopeless too.

Drab old room and a hole in the bathroom floor isn't what I expected from Mercure or the website.
Travelling from Essex we asked if there were upgraded rooms available at an extra cost but there "was nothing that could be offered".

The housekeeping staff were rushed off their feet, bar and restaurant staff didn't know if it was New York or new year and the resultant food being mediocre at best.
Breakfast wasn't much better with the staffing numbers being nowhere near what was required all weekend.

Leisure facilities - pool and sauna were nice but again not up to the numbers using it.

Nice location and hard working staff were the plus points.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Darren L
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“salad very drab”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

my husbands meal was fine he tells me.. but my so called main course goats cheese salad with beetroot was very bland indeed. tasteless.
the breakfast was good though and the rooms were fine.

Visited April 2013