“Fabulous end to our holiday”

Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had a fantastic night at the Barony Castle Hotel. All members of staff were fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful, everywhere was clean and well maintained and we had complimentary room upgrades.... amazing rooms, what more can I say!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Rachael B
Peter S, operations manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Rachael B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I have passed your comments on to all members of the team.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday as much as you enjoyed your short stay with us.

Warmest regards

Peter S

Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Lovely location but poor help from staff. TV in room did not work and when I went to breakfast, was told it was NOT included but nowhere on the invoice etc does it say that. Will not go again. Staff member checked me out and told me where breakfast was but should have known having my details in front of him that breakfast was inc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank NowraBoy

Dear NowraBoy,

I was disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. We strive to offer a superior service and a hassle free stay to all of our guests so I must apologise for failing to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

stayed three nights,16 17 18th may.This booking was made in august,I requested room with larger bath as I have mobility problems .Called hotel twice to make sure and was assured both times no problem .On arrival not only was room not accessed by lift was also up two flights of metal stairs then a long corridor,after this room had standard bath ! called reception for room change ,same bath offered upgrade at £15 per night ,bath same size but slightly easier access,shower door was filthy on closing black mould behind door and on tiles ,didn't use shower,as the shower head is a health hazard.Why could hotel not email me between august and may about upgrade for larger bath ,sorry mercure poor poor customer service ,and to charge for upgrade even poorer when it still did't reach standard required.

Room Tip: choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikalexi

Dear Mikalexi,

I would like to offer my personal apologies for the disappointing service you recieved during your recent stay. Your comments have been discussed at length to ensure this problem does not affect future guests.
Thankyou for your time and honesty.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed for two nights with family. Fantastic approach up to the hotel itself. We arranged at a busy time but the staff were very apologetic about the time taken to work through the arrivals.
Room was a good size and clean.

The hotel pool is quite small but as long as it's not busy it's fine. Control panel for the door didn't work too well though, people having to chap to get someone inside to let them in.

Good choice at breakfast with pleasant staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paulgamelb

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, it is always a pleasure to read such a positive reply and we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your short stay.
On behalf of all staff here at Barony Castle, I would like to take this opportunity to say that we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had really high expectations of this hotel, but our stay was spoiled by poor service. On our first night our service at dinner was ok, however we saw others around us complaining about the length of time they were waiting for their dinner or a drink. It wasn't even busy that night. On our second night my sister and I experienced the same poor service, we had to wait ages for our starter and had to ask where it was, we had to ask for our wine several times. Eventually we got our starter but not our wine, the waiters then came out with our starter.... 3 times!!! the table next to us were just laughing.... I was losing the will to live by this time..... we still hadn't got out wine! The staff didn't seem to communicate with each other and this was definately what was needed. Breakfast the next day was a similar experience. It seemed to me that someone needed to oversee what was going on and organize everyone! Some of the staff didn't seem to speak any English but they still need to be able to commiunicate to know what the guests are wanting or needing without having to ask several times for the same thing. I don't like to complain but we were really disappointed in our stay at the Barony Castle Hotel on this occasion. It was a shame as the venue was lovely and the rooms were clean although the whole place could do with a lick of paint :-(

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anne T

Dear Anne T,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback has been passed on to the relevent departments and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write an honest review.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fantastic hotel in beautiful grounds ,spent 3 days on sept weekend ,pool and spa are also great , however food maybe not as good as it could have been but breakfast was lovely ,all round relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Maura nnurray
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, it is always a pleasure to recieve positive comments even though your stay was some time ago I will pass on your comments to the team.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed overnight after purchasing a itison deal for £99 - this included a three course dinner and breakfast the next day. The hotel on arrival looked stunning as we approached it from the carpark. The check in went very quickly as we were the only ones at the desk, we were asked to do a 'pre-authorisation' £50 transaction on our card - this was because we wanted to bill all our purchases that night to the room.
Dinner was very nice, the soup of the day 'butternut squash with chilli' was delicious!
My only gripes were that the staff didnt understand us very well as they were all spanish (i think) also, after ordering a martini and lemonade I asked the girl behind the bar if I could have a slice of lemon in my drink - the next day when paying our bill I realised she then charged me £0.75 for this - which I think is a little bit ridiculous when you can buy a whole lemon for £0.30 and the slice she gave me was literally a slither!
Also, after using the swimming pool I was disappointed to learn that the female changing room meant you could not get changed in privacy as there were no cubicles - which meant a very awkward moment of trying to get dressed with my towel still round my waist.
Although I sound like I am complaining this was still a very nice overnight stay - the hotel is situated in a very peaceful location.
Overall I am unsure I would return but I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lisalou88
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Our aim is to achieve a high service standard and I am dissapointed to hear we fell short on this occasion.
Peter S.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!