Stobo Castle
  • Pool
US$88
US$102
  • Breakfast included
The Gordon Arms Hotel(West Linton)(Great Value!)
US$120
The Park(Peebles)
1,212 results
All reviewsmy mumspa areafitness classesdrawing roomfull body massagehealth spahydro poolmain buildingspa receptiontotal relaxationrelaxation roomspa facilities are excellentan overnight staydining roomsfirst classspa breakcold buffet
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Received an overnight break as a Christmas present. The hotel is sumptious, the surrounding countryside gorgeous. As the hotel was quiet midweek, we were upgraded to a spacious named room, which had everything you could possibly want, combined with wonderful views. Spa facilities were superb and the food was delectable. We were also treated to wonderful bright sunshine throughout' although it was very cold.

Unfortunately our break was only from 15.00 arrival until 13.00 departure the following day which did not allow us to make full use of all the facilities. I had booked a manicure @ 10.00 in the morning, it was OK, but after it was over @ 11.00 I was warned not to go in the spa for at least an hour, ruling out my planned swim before lunch and departure. My other small quibble, speaking as a person with a cheese/yogurt/creme fraiche allergy, is that I had very limited menu choices. Modern cuisine seems to include the offending ingedients in many dishes, including unlikely ones such as the bread and butter pudding I scoffed at lunch, which had me doubled up in agony half an hour later on the road home. I hasten to add that this is not a critiscism of Stobo in particular, all the 'upmarket' eateries are followings this trend. I should have checked with waiter/chef, as I did at dinner. It did however spoil what had, until then been a lovely break.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review, following your recent visit to Stobo Castle.

From the outset, I would like to express how concerned I was to hear that you took ill on your way home - the cause was perhaps more likely to be the fresh cream that was present in some of the sauces accompanying the main courses. We would happily have provided an alternative dish to suit your requirements, however my main concern at the time of writing is that you have made a full recovery.

I'm also sorry that your manicure prevented you from using the pool etc for a time afterwards - in mitigation, this is one reason why we keep these facilities open from 7am until 10pm.

I was delighted to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your time with us and we hope to have the distinct pleasure of welcoming you back to Stobo on a future occasion.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2012

My friends and I booked the two night package fo New Year 2012. We had a really lovely time. The food selection we great, while it may not be trendy, haute cuisine, it is fresh and well cooked. The wine list, while not extensive, is certainly reasonably priced. Dinner had choices of 4/5 starters and same again for mains and desert. Lunch had 3 choices for starters (soup, fruit juice and another), 4 for mains plus the Buffett. My friends were very impressed with the vegetarian choices (yes there were choices, not like many places with only 1 veg option).
I had one of the single rooms in the main castle, while it was small and overlooked a courtyard, it was immaculate and I wasn't in it much.
At the spa, I feel the treatments are over priced and fairly mediocre for what you get, while there's nothing I'd specifically complain about I wouldn't rave either. The pool area is fantastic, and we were lucky on New Years Day to havd it to
Just the hotel guests, cos the next day it was too busy for my liking, but I guess bank holidays and weekends will be like that with day guests.
My only slight gripe is the service at dinner, for example though the waiter took all the room names I was somehow billed for all the drinks at dinner, we weren't asked how we'd want to split it. Another time we had to ask for our drinks a couple of times then the order came wrong.
Overall though very happy with my experience, well fed, definitely relaxed and would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Spent two days in this wonderful relaxing heaven. It experience starts with beautiful surroundings and then everything gets better and better. We spent two nights on the winter warmer deal - what a bargain. Could not fault the place on anything. The food is excellant and of a very high standard. Prices for alcoholic drinks was cheaper than any other hotel I have been in. The staff could not do enough for you and are so friendly. This was our first visit but will be a regular trip for us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We booked a long weekend and what a weekend it was I would thoroughly recommend the castle
What I wasn't happy at is buffet breakfast was over cooked and cold a big disappointment .
Treatment back massage was brill couldn't fault it but the facial I had hurt my neck muscles the girl was very rough when I spoke to her she was still a trainee was still in training so I would question before allowing to be worked on . Still in pain now weeks after .
But apart from that brilliant. X

• Stayed: December 2011
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your Tripadvisor review, following your recent stay at Stobo Castle.

From the outset, I would like to apologise unreservedly for any discomfort you experienced during and after your facial - although we offer student placements to trainee therapists, we do ensure that they are fully qualified in the particular treatments that they carry out during their time here. I sincerely hope you have now made a full recovery.

I'm also sorry that you found the breakfast buffet unappetising - there's no excuse for food to be served cold or overcooked and I will personally keep an eye on standards in this area.

I was delighted to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your weekend with us and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 December 2011

We got a gift of a Blissful spa day package for 2 which included a facial each and a back massage also a 3 course lunch with coffee, a gym back each and 2 half bottles of champagne, and use of the pool etc. We did not want to drive back after all that luxury so we added on a 1 night Winter Warmer package which included dinner, b&b, and lunch before we left, also a warming massage. The staff are lovely, receptionist very helpful, always smiling and a nice manner. The food is excellent a good choice to suit everyone. Enjoyed the pool and steam rooms. The massages were very good with nice friendly staff. We came home feeling very relaxed and although we were a bit dubious before we came to Stobo but we would definately return for the expreience

Room Tip: We left it to the receptionist and we had a lovely ground floor room - Kelso, with 2 king size twin beds and a superb bathroom
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple