“So Stobo, Give me a Holiday Inn any time”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“So Stobo, Give me a Holiday Inn any time”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Service was shocking, staff where stuck up, food was terrible. There was no services for males where they advertised this on there site. Room was shocking for £200.00 a night.

Worse £500 ever spent. Will never return.

They dont deserve the 5 star rating

Room Tip: Use a Holiday inn express or B&B
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank BigWilso
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I write with reference to your review on Tripadvisor, following your recent overnight visit to Stobo on 4 June in the company of your girlfriend.

In your communication dated 6 June, you praised the welcome you received on arrival and went on to say how very friendly and helpful our staff were in making your stay even more enjoyable.

In my response of 7 June, I respectfully pointed out that your stay did not cost in excess of £500. Your actual invoice came to £404.95 - made up by a charge of £99 each which included the provision of breakfast, lunch and dinner plus £132 for a total of 6 treatments and other incidentals you purchased.

Tripadvisor can certainly be a force for good, provided that reviews are based on accurate information and not malicious lies especially regarding the integrity and professionalism of our very caring staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed in the Cashmere Suite with my mum for an overnight stay. We have stayed in Stobo numerous times before and have always really enjoyed ourselves.

I'll start with the positives... The suite is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous big living room with all mod cons, beautiful and very comfy beds and a lovely separate dressing room to get ready in. Then the bathroom... The shower and the bath tub are fantastic and we loved getting to relax in the tub using the complimentary mouton brown goodies!

The food was superb as usual and the portions are huge. Enonly issue I had was that when I ordered my scrambled eggs with smoked salmon it took around 30-40 minutes to arrive, by which time I had eaten the rest of my breakfast!

There were quite a few negatives on this stay though, which given we had booked the cashmere suite was disappointing...

It was unfortunate that whilst we were staying there were issues with the water supply. This meant that the normal access to chilled water wasnt available. Staff did provide jugs of water at the spa reception but it seemed a bit hit and miss on whether they regularly kept enough ice in these to ensure that the water was chilled. Whilst in our suite we telephoned to ask for a large bottle of water to be delivered, this took around half an hour to arrive and when it did it wasn't chilled. Given that we had been told we couldn't use the tap water even for brushing teeth this was disappointing.

We had similar issues when we ordered a bottle of champagne from room service, we had to call again after 30 minutes to ask if this was on its way yet... Thankfully this arrived chilled!

Late in the evening we began to notice an issue with the toilet. The water seemed to back up after it had been flushed. As it was late we waited until the morning to see if this was any different, still same issue and now when the bath was draining, it was causing issues with the toilet flush. This may have been related to the water supply issues which were ongoing but when we mentioned this to reception whilst settling our bill before breakfast, we weren't given an apology her comment was "thanks for letting us know, we will get at fixed before the next customer arrives". What about your customer that is presently staying there?!

As we had booked the suite we decided to spend most of our stay enjoying the facilities there and chose to relax on the private veranda rather than by the pool as we normally would. When we did go to use the pool however, we couldn't use any of the steam rooms as they were so busy. People were actually milling around outside as if queuing to get in! I feel that Stobo are perhaps doing too many day packages now as it didn't have the same exclusive feel that it once used to.

When we checked out we realised we hadn't received our complimentary moulton brown gift that you get for staying in the cashmere suite. These were sent out to me once I'd telephoned to advise of this, however it was just disappointing that this was yet another oversight.

Given that we were staying in the most expensive room in the castle I didn't think the service was anywhere near the level you would expect for the price. We did have a lovely stay but that was more down to my mum and myself rather than anything that the staff added. The reason I have rated this as very good is more down to the quality of the room we were in rather than anything service related!

We probably will return to Stobo, however given that I feel it is losing the exclusivity that once gave it an edge and the standards of service seem to have dropped, I think we may look at some alternatives first. It was a good stay, I just don't think it lived up to what we had expected which given how many times we have stayed previously is disappointing.

Room Tip: So far I think that Park Lodge has given the best value for money as the rooms are much more spaciou...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Scotrocker
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Absolutely love this place - food to die for and staff really great. The spa and excercise is awesome too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank siobhanedwards
scotland
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here for one night with a group of friends. The good points, food was fantastic, very good choice and Large portions. All very tasty.

The pool and steam rooms are lovely, very relaxing. I spent most of my time here as I hadn't booked a treatment.

Our room was very comfortable, beds large and very warm and cosy!

The negatives: One girl in our group had booked a back massage For 4.15 on the Saturday afternoon, the hotel hadn't organised this and challenged it!! The then 'found' the booking email and offered her a complimentary massage on the Sunday morning at 9 am. This then meant a rushed breakfast and she felt that the massage therapist had been rushed in to do it and was very disinterested. Not a good experience.

Our bathroom in Jordan was not the cleanest, large clumps of hair fell off the shower curtain when it was opened!! It was very small, cold and not the 5* luxury bathroom I had expected.

The most upsetting experience was at checkout, the gratuity had been added to our account, and I requested not to pay it due to the fact that I hadn't had a treatment!! My friend asked to have hers removed due to the upset over her treatment only to be challenged over it!! Gratuities should be at the discretion of the customer. If the service is good enough! Then while we were walking away we overheard the receptionists talking about us! Slightly ruined the weekend for us!

I have stayed at Stobo castle twice before and sadly I don't know if I will return, I feel standards have slipped and there are plenty of other places for me to spend my money.

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank holbet
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review of your overnight visit to Stobo on Saturday 19 May.

I was delighted to read your very favourable comments about your accommodation, the spa facilities and the quality of the meals. However, I really cannot apologise enough for the lapse in standards of the cleanliness of the ensuite bathroom in your room.

You are absolutely correct in highlighting our error in failing to arrange a particular treatment for your friend - quite rightly, we arranged for a complimentary massage by way of compensation - this was arranged for the morning of her departure and she seemed very happy with the quality of the treatment according to our Spa Director who spoke to her later in the morning.

We introduced the discretionary 5% service charge some 12 years ago in response to the frequently asked question "How much do we leave the staff?" Over 90% of our guests are happy to pay this discretionary charge and we never, ever challenge a guest over this issue. The duty receptionist may well have expressed an instinctive concern regarding your satisfaction or otherwise with the level of service you experienced, and it is a matter of regret that this concern was misinterpreted.

As you will have seen from all the recent refurbishment, we continue to strive to improve standards and I'm sorry you felt we let you down on this occasion.
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have just recently returned from another visit to stobo and feel there are some issues that do need addressing.

Myself and my friend have been going to Stobo for 14 years and every time we arrive we are asked if we have been before. In this day and age of IT I would think it should flag up that we are returning customers. It would also be nice if they recognised this loyalty, even a glass of wine included with your meal would be something!

We were booked into the Graham room which was a beautiful big room but with such a small bathroom. The pressure of the water is awful in the shower and in fact the hot water tap at the basin was just a trickle - not what you expect from a 5 star property and considering the prices they are charging.

The treatments are nice but definitely not as good as they used to be. The rooms are beautifully decorated but they no longer use downies or have heated beds, you are only covered by thin towels - not the cosy experience of the past.

Also they seem to cater for large parties now and this can make for a very noisy experience. There were 2 groups of about 10-12 in each. This can also lead to a bit of delay in getting served at mealtimes or lining up for the buffet.

I do thoroughly look forward to my stay at Stobo however I feel some of the sparkle and shine has been lost and may have to start looking for an alternative.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gyle
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at Stobo on Tripadvisor.

From the outset, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the lack of water pressure in your bathroom - apparently, the pump that pressurises the water tripped off following an interruption to our power supply and, for some reason that is being investigated, our emergency generator failed to reactivate the pump.

As you noted, we have invested a considerable sum in refurbishing our spa treatment area - however, I would respectfully point out that we have never used downies or heated beds. We do use cosy blankets and heated pads for certain treatments.

In closing, I would be obliged if you would make direct contact with me in order that we can upgrade you to a deluxe room in the event that you would consider another visit to Stobo.

With many thanks,
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I visited Stobo Castle in March this year. It was arranged as a surprise for me by my fiancé and what a surprise it was. When we arrived we were shown where everything was then up to our room The Maitland Suit. The room was beautiful, with en suite bathroom and all the lovely freebees..... Molton & Brown no less! The beds are soo comfortable too. The food was lovely with great service. I honestly could not get Stobo Castle out of my head for days after we came back, I had such a relaxing time. If u get the chance to go don't hesitate you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Castle
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at the castle lodge for a girl’s getaway, if booking this bear in mind it’s a 2 minute walk from the hotel which is fine if it’s not raining..... Also there is no lounge area in the lodge just rooms.

The spa was lovely although the steam rooms were not hot enough, all of us, 7 in total, agreed with this; I loved the hydro pool although it is small and very busy. The room itself was lovely, clean, and comfy with 2 massive beds.

We all had the same treatment and enjoyed them although they all differed slightly.

The 'but' comes now, as a 5* hotel I was expecting much more in the way of service, the dinner was nothing special, I had the salmon which its self was nice, I asked for the butter on the side so my plate came with some wrinkly potatoes, a piece of Salmon and a ramekin of butter, I could have made it more presentable myself, breakfast in the morning was from a hot or cold buffet, in a separate room I might add, and you ordered your egg, I would expect breakfast to be ordered from the kitchen in a 5 star hotel. Lunch was a poor selection of slap bang meals; the cold buffet however was delicious. After lunch we had tea in the lounge which you have to order from the spa cafe and they deliver. Upon entering the lounge there were old cups and saucers left on every table, theses weren't cleared for a further half an hour after us being there, very bizarre as there is staff wandering around the area. The only saving grace in the way of service was the receptionists.

Room Tip: If going in a large party bear in mind that the lodge has no communal area
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank december32nd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Dalhousie Castle
Dalhousie Castle
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!