“very expensive for what you get”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Glasgow
“very expensive for what you get”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

i spent a weekend here with my partner and we had the treatments that were included we didnt over eat or drink any alcohol and it was over £1000 really not worth it. spoke to the girl who was doing my massage and told her twice i had a shoulder injury and she still pressed too hard, also she was training wasn't fully qualified its a training school. wrong you should be offered a huge discount for trainees to work on you or be told before they start.

dinning rooms were so awful everyone is crammed in and when asked to eat in a specific dinning room we were told we couldn't as the people in there were hen parties. so if you go in a crowd and spending copious amount of money on booze you get what you want .

when leaving the rds leaving on stobo land was covered in ice and snow which made it hazardous to get down not everyone has a four by four.
wont be going back there wasnt anything that i enjoyed, breakfast was the biggest let down actually the whole weekend was a let down.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john B
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

The alarm bells went off when I read your comment about ice and snow on our driveway - we haven't had any so far this year - then, I noticed the footnote that you visited in December 2012, travelled as a couple.

With all due respect, I am sure I'm not alone in questioning your motive for posting such a negative review one year after you allegedly spent a weekend at Stobo. In fact, I'm beginning to think you're a distant cousin of the dafty lady from London who claims we were responsible for her silly coldsores.

I have always said that Tripadvisor can be a force for good, however they really need to impose a shorter time limit for accepting reviews otherwise the whole credibility of the site is at risk.

Our driveway is our lifeline for access by guests, staff and suppliers. For the record, we have a team of 3 men on duty from 6am during wintry conditions keeping our drive free of ice and snow. With snowploughs, industrial brushes and gritting machines, our drive is without doubt, the best maintained stretch of road in the whole of the Scottish Borders.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

A brilliant place to get away from it all.As usual all of the staff were really friendly, attentive and helpful.
Thank you for introducing the gluten free menu, it made meal times much easier. There was also an excellent selection, so I didn't feel left out.
Love the outdoor hot tub too.
Thanks for another excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2013
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us on the occasion of your latest visit to Stobo.

As I may have said in a previous resopnse, we're about to order a third outdoor hot tub - just to ensure we have two up and running at all times.

With best wishes,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just back from an overnight at Stobo today.. What can I say?? Having been at Stobo for just the day before.. I wanted to do an overnight.. They didn't disappoint,, stayed in the castle lodge in room Talla.. I honestly couldn't believe the standard of the room, To say I was impressed was an understatement.. Treatments, dinner, lunch breakfast were out of this world... Seeing some of the other reviews from people complaining about Stobo.. Makes me ask myself.. We're we at the same place?? Having stayed in 5 star hotels around the world.. Stobo is defo on par with them.. Only minor gripe I had was we couldn't book the massage bed because it was fully booked ( my fault should have booked it earlier) and the hot tub was a wee bit cold ( although bearing in mind it was exceptionally cold last night) considering we payed £109.00pp for dinner, breakfast, lunch and full use of the facilities.. What more can you ask for?? If you are thinking of booking Stobo, please do not hesitate and BOOK it!!!!! Ps I have never eat so much (fantastic) food in an overnight in all my life! Exceptional value for money! Just can't rate Stobo highly enough!!!!!

1 Thank Jenna D
Dear Guest,

Bless you - many thanks for delivering the perfect riposte to an earlier review that suggested we were "overpriced".

The provision of a full breakfast, three-course lunch and three-course dinner has been independently valued at around £75/80 - the balance covers accommodation and free access to all our spa facilities and fitness classes.

In closing, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and the exceptional value for money you experienced.

With very best wishes,
Hawick
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just back from my fourth visit to Stobo and yet again had a fab day. From the minute you drive through the gates into the wonderful grounds and step through the door your totally removed from the outside world. All the staff are exceptional and very accommodating to your needs, they put themselves out to make your visit perfect. A great example of outstanding customer care. As usual everything was in pristine condition. This is a great package to have a completely chilled out morning, it offered a great balance between being active in the gym and pool to deep relaxation in the spa, the highlight being, enjoying the hot tub on a crisp November morning. Tying the morning up with a nice salad buffet and a pot of herbal tea in the coffee shop. So if you fancy a morning of exercising, indulging, recharging and dining in an AMAZING setting I can't recommend Stobo Castle highly enough. Bring on our next visit girls.

1 Thank Susan M
Dear Guest,

It was most kind of you to report so favourably on your fourth visit to Stobo in the company of your friends.

We really do have a great complement of staff, all fully committed to the welfare and comfort of our guests.

A Morning Chill Out or Lazy Afternoon is a fun stocking filler at Christmas for those in search of something novel!

With best wishes,
London
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Last visited ten years ago, very disappointed. All the style has gone . Overpriced, under resourced, food ghastly and dining rooms inadequate for the massed ranks of hen parties. Not totally convinced of hygiene in treatment rooms thanks to first cold sores in 20 years. What a pity,what had for years been a unique experience ruined.

Room Tip: Neighbouring Peebles has some lovely hotels
8 Thank Helen L
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I think any fair-minded third party, reading your review, would share my sense of resentment at your wholly unjustified comments - millions of pounds have been reinvested in Stobo over the past ten years to enhance our guests' experience.

Our treatment rooms are spotlessly clean - to suggest that they were responsible for your cold sores effectively undermines the integrity of your report.

I strongly recommend you examine your own personal habits as a potential source of your cold sores, before making ridiculous, unfounded allegations of this nature.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My friend and I spent a blissful Morning Chill Out today, enjoying once again the excellent facilities at Stobo. After an energetic half hour on the treadmill. We managed to find time for a lengthy coffee and chat in the comfortable lounge before spending a blissful hour and a half between the Laconium, hydrospa and the pool. Feeling suitably relaxed we then enjoyed a delicious buffet lunch with time still for another coffee in the lounge before reluctantly departing. The staff as always were helpful and polite.
We shall certainly return.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reflecting so positively on your Morning Chill Out at Stobo - half days and full days make a great stocking filler at Christmas - you just have to drop a hint in the right ear!

With very best wishes,
Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

A Fabulous stay in the beautiful cashmere suite - usual warm welcome from all staff but with the added luxury of cashmere! Thank you Stobo - we came away feeling like royalty following our stay on 17th November. Dinner and breakfast in the room were very special and the food was beautiful as ever!! Highly recommend this experience to all - everyone shod try cashmere at least once.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, following your overnight stay in the Cashmere Suite last Sunday.

It has been described as the most opulent suite in Scotland - I don't know if that's true, but it has proved very popular with guests celebrating a special occasion, hence the bottle of chilled Bollinger and chocolates on arrival!

Best wishes,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
West End
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
#16 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!