“Not what it used to be”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I came with my boyfriend on the 14th of June. When we arrived the lady was very blunt. Not a smile was cracked. We were staying in the lodges which was a small walk away, no offer of help with bags dispite a porter standing there. We got to the room, how this can we advertised of 5* I'll never know. Bright pink walls and orange curtains was such an eye sore. I know, from personal experience the castle rooms are amazing. Beyond 5*. However, the lodges are nothing of the sort and shouldn't be advertised as 5* like the castle rooms as they are worlds apart.
We arrived at 3 at my treatment was at half 4. Didn't get taken until 20 too and only got a 15 min massage but still had to pay for a full 25min massage. No word of apologie, nothing, just a okay that's you done now.
I must say the kitchen staff need applauded. They made me something that wasn't on the menu with no problems and it was fab!!
They waiting staff were rude, everything was a huge hassle, they kept standing in the door way gossiping about the work place when people were needing assistance. Again, not a smile in site.
I had a water massage the next day, so did my partner. We had it confirmed by the booking assistand and reception that we had 2 15min sessions booked each. We only had 1 15min session each. When I pointed this out to the therapist all she said was I have someone coming In next so you'll have to leave and take it up with reception. Again rude, not a smile.
Over all, the castle wa lovely, room clean and the shortened treatments I had were lovely. The staff used to never be able to do enough. Now they can't do enough to get rid of you.
I will defo return but for the facilities. Also, the fact that you can leave feedback on their website is a joke. Would also like to point out our bill came to £422 for one night. Considering you check in at 3 and facility use stops at 12 the next day it's not ever a full 24hours you get for the small fortune you pay.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank MichellePeacock
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your overnight stay in Castle Lodge last Saturday.

In fairness, I think you will find that every establishment requires a window of opportunity to service guest bedrooms. The suggested times of arrival and vacating your room are for guidance only - for example, if guests arrive at 2pm, we'll be delighted to give them immediate access to their room if it is ready. Likewise, we'll be equally delighted to extend the departure time to accommodate guests who may have a late morning treatment.

All our rooms are individually designed and presented to a high standard. Setting aside the supplement of £25 that only applies on a Saturday night, prices start from £119 per person in Castle Lodge. This includes a three-course dinner, full breakfast and three-course lunch plus free access to all our fitness classes and spa facilities.

Rooms in the castle itself are graded standard, classic or deluxe depending on their size and location.

I am so sorry that the attitude of certain staff fell short of our usual high standards - as a matter of due diligence, your comments are being addressed as a matter of urgency.

With kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The setting is lovely, the rooms are very nice, the food is decent.
The welcome was warm and set high expectations for our stay. Unfortunately, it did not quite live up.
The spa facilities and quality of "treatments" is not up to the standard we have experienced at places in both Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The level of service was somewhat disappointing. The feeding times were a bit too narrow and regimented for our liking. The evening entertainment in the bar on a saturday evening was very poor. The bar functions as the waiting area for the spa, and has the unshakeable feel of an airport departure lounge.
The main reason for our perhaps harsh sounding review, is the fact that a 2-night stay cost a shade under £1000 for the pair of us. As the food supplements, service charge, and fee for paying by credit card contributed to this, we felt there were very classless attempts to maximise the bill. It did not represent good value for money. Little things matter. We don't regret going, but wouldn't return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cull B
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for commenting on your stay in a deluxe room at Stobo earlier this month.

Value for money is always going to be a subjective issue - you only have to scroll down to the review headed "Piece of Heaven" where the author states that Stobo represents great value, with all meals included within our terms along with free access to all our fitness classes and spa facilities. Lunch is also included on the day of departure - the only supplement is a charge of £7.50 for an 8oz fillet steak which seems quite reasonable.

With the only 25 metre ozone pool in Scotland and a myriad of other attractions, I truly believe our facilities compare very favourably with any other establishment.

In closing, I would like to thank you for your custom and I'm sorry you would not consider returning.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

As I have just been diagnosed with an illness my husband book this overnight stay for us and my Mum (her first visit) on Wednesday 4 June

My husband had chosen super rooms for our stay, ours had a balcony, unfortunately it rained the whole time we were there so couldnt make use of it which was a pity.

I would like to pass on my thanks to all the ladies on reception (especially Yvonne who dealt with my husband's booking) who were all so friendly and welcoming throughout the whole of our stay. We arrived early so enjoyed a wonderful lunch (thank you again Theresa - hope you enjoyed your wedding!)

After a relaxing lunch we headed off to the pool,which is amazing, plenty of towels and the whole place is very clean being midweek it wasnt too busy so we enjoyed having the pool almost to ourself and then just relaxed on the loungers before heading off to take part in one of the classes.

Enjoyed a drink in the lovely Spa area before heading off to change for dinner. This is my third visit to Stobo and each time I have thoroughly enjoyed all my meals. I am gluten free but have no worries when I visit Stobo as they have their own gluten free menu for lunch and dinner and the most amazing gluten free bread (think it comes from a local baker in Peebles).

Had the most amazing sleep ever, not sure if the mattresses and pillows are new but if they are they were fantastic.

Thank you again for yet another wonderful stay and hope it is not too long before we can come back again soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
First of all, I was sorry to hear about your illness and we all hope you will make a full recovery as soon as possible.
I was so pleased to learn how much you and your husband enjoyed your third visit to Stobo (shame about the weather!) and are thinking in terms of returning soon.
I will certainly alert Yvonne and her colleagues on the Front Desk to your kind remarks – sadly, Teresa arrived late for the wedding (something to do with hire cars) but made the reception!
With warm regards
Bonnyrigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just home after a superb 2 night stay - Return trip for me and first visit for my husband. As usual, wonderful staff, delicious food, excellent facilities made for a very relaxing stay. From the moment you arrive the staff are very welcoming - from carrying your bags from the car to greeting you every time you walked past, nothing was too much trouble. Food was delicious as usual - especially enjoyed the cold buffet table at lunch but couldn't fault any of the meals. We stayed in Kelso on the lower ground floor - large room with plenty of space to relax in. Can't wait for my next trip!

Room Tip: Try Kelso on the lower ground floor! Large room, peaceful and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your generous comments, following your latest stay at Stobo, this time in the company of your husband.
We’re actually seeing quite a growth in the number of couples looking to spend quality time together – hence, the introduction of more mixed facilities later this year.
In closing, we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Stobo sometime soon.
With kind regards
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Hello to all at Stobo.
My daughter Louise and I have just enjoyed another (too short) overnight stay with you. It is the most wonderful quiet getaway and as Louise is expecting a baby, our stay was a lovely catch up time together.
We enjoyed lovely treatments, enjoyed the swimming pool and our nap by the pool overlooking the stunning manicured landscaped gardens etc etc.
Lunch, dinner and breakfast were all superb with a varied choice of beautiful, healthy 'home cooked' food, served by lovely attentive staff.
A demonstration of cooking in the kitchen last night by Theresa was fun, informative and chatty.
Our whole stay and experience was just perfect and so restful.
I am astonished reading some of the ridiculous negative comments from previous guests. These people are probably serial complainers and dissatisfied wherever they go!!
A family owned, private Hotel/Spa such as Stobo is hard to beat and the personal service is excellent.
Well done again Stobo Castle!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your very supportive review, following your recent overnight visit to Stobo with your daughter.

Incidentally, do please pass on our congratulations and best wishes to Louise on her wonderful news!

Trip Advisor does provide a forum for guests to express an opinion of their experience. Although we strive for perfection, sadly we won’t match everyone’s aspirations – however, I truly believe that any third party will arrive at a balanced judgement from a number of reports.
Anyway, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and I hope you will both consider returning to Stobo at some point in the future.

With kind regards
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been to Stobo many times. It's fabulous. My friend and I pay an annual visit and enjoy every second. I start to relax the moment I turn into the drive. Service is excellent, staff are unobtrusively helpful and always friendly. We particular appreciate James who is present at breakfast...he's a lovely man. The food is delicious. The castle itself is gorgeous inside and out. I think it's good value for money as all meals are included and there are many classes/activities available at no extra cost throughout the day and evening. We always think it's a bonus if our visit coincides with the chefs demonstration. This is not to be missed as you get more than you expect...be prepared to have aching sides from all the laughing you will do...she's a riot.
I'm already looking forward to my next visit....hoping to celebrate here with my husband...40th wedding anniversay...sorry chef...one of those happily married couples that make you sick!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, following your latest visit to Stobo in the company of your friend.

Also, for mentioning "James" - he really is a credit to his profession. As for "Mother Teresa" or "Old Woman" as we call her, she's mad, bad and Irish and can be a bit of a loose cannon at her demos on a Monday night. Anyway, the "Craic" is good! To help her in her dotage, we've just taken on the lovely Erica as our new pastry chef.

Delighted you're thinking of celebrating your 40th Wedding Anniversary at Stobo!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My friends & I travelled to stobo on sat 31st May for a night. I had gift vouchers from a birthday present so wasn't actually paying but my other 3 friends were & gave up their precious time to join me. We had booked back in January so were really looking forward to it. On our journey down there was an accident just after Peebles & the road was blocked, so unfortunately we had a huge detour over roads we didn't know. We did phone en route & were told not to worry & they would see us when we got there. Treatments were booked for 4pm & bearing in mind we had planned to get there for 3pm (check-in time), we ended up arriving around 4.15pm. We quickly got into our robes & were told our treatments were at 4.30. Looking at the schedule I now had a back massage, not a full body massage. I queried at the spa reception & because we were late our treatments had been cut to 25mins from 55mins. So after a very stressful journey (which I appreciate is nobody's fault) we were extremely disappointed with the lack of flexibility. We spoke to a 'manager' who said they were full & even when we queried about others being late & therefore the possibility of extending after 5pm, we were told this wasn't possible. She did say they would try to sort something out for Sunday morning to compensate. So I had a very short back massage which wasn't relaxing as I was new pretty stressed out. So whilst sitting in the spa area afterwards I was even more annoyed to find my therapist standing shouting someone's name at 5pm & who was a no-show. She was still standing at 5.15pm & then sauntered over to the spa desk. So my treatment could have been done in full & I would have been pleased with the flexibility & attentive customer service, but it achieved the total opposite. At no point on Sunday did anyone try to come & speak to us & there was no treatment offered to compensate. Extremely disappointing - funnily enough the service charge added was asked to be removed from all 4 of our bills when we checked out. Our night away was saved by the good weather, it was a beautiful evening so we enjoyed sitting outdoors & had a wonderful walk the next day. I thought the food was good overall & the rooms were lovely. Unfortunately, I think Stobo gets away with it due to its name & reputation, I don't think any of the staff were bothered that we were stressed on arrival & that impacted our whole stay. Nobody really cared.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Susan M
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, following your overnight visit to Stobo last Saturday.

I'm so sorry that the timing of your treatment was compromised that afternoon as a result of a serious road accident that led to the closure of the main road for over 2 hours.

This resulted in many of our arrivals missing their appointments - in fact, many of our therapists stayed on until 7pm to catch up on the backlog.

I fully take on board your criticism that more could have been done on the Sunday and I apologise unreservedly for this lack of attention on our part.

With kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
West End
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa
#16 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!