“Beautiful place for a relaxing getaway!”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place for a relaxing getaway!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from another relaxing break at Stobo. The Castle is fabulous- beautifully decorated and maintained to a high standard. The spa facilities are second to none. I would particularly recommend the hot stones massage! We also enjoyed a lovely walk down to the Japanese gardens.

There are a couple of things that could be done to truly make Stobo a seamless 5 star experience.

For example, it would be lovely for returning guests if they were welcomed back at reception.

The food is brilliant but the food service could be better. Service at breakfast runs fairly smoothly and we particularly like James who has been there for years and really understands 5 star service. The lunch service lets things down a bit. No one seems to be in charge. One waiter seats you, another takes your order and a third serves your food. The person serving the food has no idea who at the table has ordered the food. It would take very little for the food simply to be put down in front of the person who ordered rather than having the waiter arriving at the table calling out dishes.

Service at the coffee bar beside the spa reception is ok but not great. The coffee bar is quite small and was full when we arrived. We were told we could not be served food in the area just outside the bar so had to wait for a table. I asked for a tea and an orange juice while we wait and was told it would take 15 minutes.

The hotel shows a movie at 10pm every night which is a nice way to end the day. We asked reception what movie was showing and were told that the DVD player had broken. It was not fixed by the following night.

We went along to the spa reception the first night because there was supposed to be jewellery on display. However, this must have been cancelled as no one showed up.

Stobo is a fantastic getaway and we will absolutely be back. The location, facilities and staff are outstanding. The comments I have made are just my opinion on the little things which could be addressed to make this an even more wonderful place. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed July 2014
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comprehensive but balanced report on your latest visit to Stobo.

I’m sorry that a number of silly “own goals” on our part compromised the enjoyment of your stay – in our ongoing quest for perfection, these issues are being addressed as a matter of urgency.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and are looking forward to another visit.

With kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Orkney
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I think I used the word Fabulous on numerous occasions. Had a two day spa break with a friend and had a wonderful time - I just can't thank the staff at Stobo enough. The wonderful therapists (Sarah especially), the amazing food (the cold buffet at lunchtime was my favourite)! extremely helpful waiters and waitresses, the receptionists who always had a smile, last but not least Elliott and Tina who we enjoyed their company on the Stobo Walk and Japenese Gardens. Their enthusiasm for Stobo and interest in the guests of Stobo and their experience was an asset. We loved it and can't wait to go back. Until the next time!

Room Tip: Not sure as we asked for the only two single rooms.
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your generous comments, particularly in respect of our staff who looked after you.

I was delighted to hear that you are thinking in terms of coming back to Stobo and we all look forward to your next visit!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I visited yesterday after my kids give me a spa voucher as a birthday present. I had such a lovely day. A day is not enough to take advantage of all the facilities.
Arrived at 9am. Did morning stretch class. Lazied in spa, massage at 10.30, lazied in spa, facial at 11.30. Want on the Stobo walk. Had lunch. Great chocolate pudding! Lazied some more in spa again. Want to yoga class at 4 pm, then did a walk around the Japanese gardens and drove home for 7 pm.
It was great. Totally recommend the classes and the walks. Elliot the guide was not bothered that it was the only me one on the walk, he was so chatty and friendly. He also takes some of the classes. He is a gem and a really lovely young man.
Staff are so nice and helpful.
I was the only one in Yoga too, but Fiona made me feel really welcome.
The whole place is lovely and clean, great views from the windows, could not find a fault if I tried, lots to do.
Next time I would like an over night stay please kids.
Brilliant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for reflecting so positively on your recent day visit to Stobo.

I must confess to a degree of nepotism, but nobody is more proud of Elliott than his Dad! Fiona is also a great ambassador for Stobo and I was delighted to read your comments about her.

In closing, I do hope your family will treat you to an overnight stay – Christmas is only five months away!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed at Stobo Castle for two nights last week with friends, we visit on a regular occasion, usually twice per year. Can't help but feel disappointed with our experience this time around. We stayed in the Seymour Room as a free upgrade due to issues which occurred last year during our stay in Park Lodge. We personally prefer the Cameron Room as apposed to Seymour. Yet again this year lunch was so disappointing, one of the issues from our previous stay, unfortunately this now looks like this is going to be normal lunch standards, not acceptable! Our first choice on the menu wasn't available at around 1pm (half way through lunch time). We opted for the cold buffet as this was the only other option suitable to us. The buffet items on offer were a disgrace, we couldn't even manage to put together a very basic salad. On two separate occasions during dining I had to return dirty cutlery! We also noted a few maintenance issues not rectified from our previous stay in February, mainly within the spa area. On check out we advised reception staff that we would not be staying for lunch due to our previous days experience, they offered us complimentary tea/coffee scones/cakes or sandwiches or soup as a gesture of goodwill within the bistro area. My friend and I opted for carrot cake, what we received resembled nothing edible, we had a quite word with the staff member to whom said he would try it for himself and report to us his finding, he never bothered to come back to us! We normally always book our next stay at reception on check-out but refrained from doing so this time, unfortunately I don't think we will be back. Such a disappointment considering how much we were looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Cameron Room, Park Lodge
6 Thank Jill S
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, although I would question why you found it necessary to add to the equally negative report posted by one of your friends a couple of days ago.

I genuinely believe that some of your comments are distinctly unwarranted, however I fully respect your decision not to return.

With many thanks for your past custom.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Myself and my little sister stayed her for the night arriving at 2.15 (45 mins early) reception staff where very helpful. Our room wasn't quite ready but we got shown around the spa and then just had to wait 10 mins for our room. We had been offered an upgrade when we first arrived which we decided to take. Room was clean and spacious. We just loved the spa all of it! I read a review here about the hot tubs having flys in then etc there was one or two as a well as a couple of leaves from the trees but thee was staff out 3 times cleaning them when we Wer there so don't let that out you off. The food was really good although I'm a fussy eater the staff did what they could to acomadate me. The staff throughout the spa /restrant/cleaners where always pleasant. I had the dream water massage which was amazing! From the minute we arrived till the sad moment we left we where waited on hand and foot ( even your bags get taken from your car to room etc) our bed even got made on the morning we left! Only thing I would say for next time is I would go two nights and take outdoor clothes to go some of the walks

Room Tip: I would most defiantly get a room that's either on the ground floor or on the first floor as aft...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank chellemcn
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent visit to Stobo in the company of your sister.

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back – next time, for 2 nights!

With kind regards
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am just back from a 2 night stay at stobo castle with my 2 friends, and I am really disappointed this time with a lot of things, the hot tub was just full of dead flys and I am not talking just 1 or 2 there must have been hundreds, and when I said to the man about it he said they will not harm you and it is cleaned out every hour or so but think it would need cleaned every 5 mins it just looked really dirty and horrible so we didn't get to use that. Then we went for lunch and asked for the salmon and there was none so went to the buffet which was a joke, I had 2 small bits of chicken and 2 slice of tomato. There were more things but don't want to go on, so looks like this will be my last time at stobo until they do a bit of decorating.

Room Tip: Park lodge is the best place to stay
2 Thank Aileen T
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your stay at Stobo from Thursday to Saturday of last week.

I’m sorry about the proliferation of flies – the outdoor hot tubs are being checked every 15 minutes to combat this seasonal occurrence.

I was a bit disappointed to read your comment about decorating standards – we spend a multiple of a six figure sum each year to ensure our guest bedrooms and public areas are maintained in pristine condition, all part of our ongoing investment in our facilities. A prime example is the deluxe room that we were delighted to upgrade you to following your overnight visit to Stobo in March of last year.

In closing, I hope this assurance will give you the confidence to consider another visit to Stobo next year in the company of your friends.

Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

On a recent stay with a good friend we found that the relaxation start right from the front door.
The staff are just so natural and lovely, they care for your every need.

We stayed in the Castle Lodge this time which was really impressive and up to the usual Stobo standards. The room was very spacious, large double beds to sink into a lovely view out of the windows and it was so peacefull and relaxing.

The aquafit classes were really enjoyable, good fun, and anyone can join in. We also managed to fit in a stretch class which gave us a well needed release to all those muscles that don't get used quite as often as they should. Here again the staff were always very attentive, helpful and smiling.

We didn't partake of many treatments this time other than a pedicure and a facial which we're very much enjoyed and have a lasting benefit as we managed to take some of the lotions and potions with us along with the expert advice.

The whole of Stobo itself is so relaxing as we enjoyed resting and reading in the spa area, or the drawing room where a nice cocktail can be enjoyed.

The hot tubs are a must for anyone and just a gorgeous way to finish off a nice swim or in the evening befor bed.

This was the first time we have been down for the chefs class and it was just Brill, we enjoyed every minute of this wonderful Stobo treasure under the name of Theresa, it was a wonderful light funny half hour with an added bonus of gorgeous food. Many thanks. Have you ever thought of bringing out a book for all your recipes. The most difficult thing I had to do was decide what I wanted to eat, it was all so taste tingling and beautifully served.

Many thanks to you all I don't want to mention anyone in particular because you were all lovely and everything you do behind the scenes and that lovely smile just made us feel special and enjoy the whole experience.

Pat

Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I really cannot thank you enough for commenting so favourably on your recent visit to Stobo.

Especially, in respect of the care and attention you and your friend received from our staff.

Mother Teresa keeps promising to publish a book of her recipes - maybe, an online petition from all our past guests will do the trick!

With kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#11 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!