“Peaceful oasis with excellent service and very good facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Liverpool
“Peaceful oasis with excellent service and very good facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful treat from my sister and included their signature hot stone massage. I have always a avoided any massages in the past, not my thing. I am now converted though it was fab and Adele my therapist was excellent and ensured I was relaxed and comfortable throughout and that post therapy glow is hard to beat.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank LiverpoolHaggis
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for highlighting the benefits of your Hot Stone Massage - Adele will be thrilled to read your comments!

Hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I first attended Stobo over 14 years ago, when the swimming pool was tiny and you could hear a pin drop, it felt like the ultimate luxury spa day. I've attended once a year (with a break for a few years) since and my last trip will be my final one. It's never felt like a commercial business until changes have been made. Some of the changes are excellent like the swimming pool and the various steam rooms, previously teas and coffees were complimentary but the original juice bar put heed to that. I detest the noise that comes from the coffee shop and the constant chatting of large groups that was not part of days gone by. The drawing room, stunning, is no longer an escape - instead it is also noisy. Day prices have not altered over all these years but the treatments have - Stobo I wish you had increased your prices instead of decreasing your treatments. My massage lasted for less than twenty minutes, my facial for 21.17 secs (yes I did time it). Service at lunch was wonderful and no complaints about the quality of food, however,one gripe is the calorific value. Again in days gone by is was low fat with the calorie content displayed - I was opting for the soup and enquired about the calorie content to be told it was high in calories - again this was in the days that "health spa" was promoted. I have never stayed overnight but discussed my recent visit with a friend who, like me, has been a regular for a long time and has seen the changes over the years. She spoke of the morning "wake up" tea that is no longer available, the weighing etc. Her comments were similar to mine regarding the noise, the large groups and the food. In fact her comment about spending more time in her room because of the noise I think summed it up. There is also more of a focus on alcohol than there was previously. I probably sound like an old foggie - I'm really not, or someone who doesn't like change - neither describes me - instead I am a person who would rather pay a little more for something special than be disappointed with a poorer quality service. I wish you luck with the clientèle you are now catering for i.e.. the larger (noisy) groups, the hen parties - unfortunately this is no longer for me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Amanda L
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review, following your recent spa day at Stobo Castle.
I fully take on board your comments that the focus of the business has changed over the years – this is a result of guest feedback and the natural progression over time has led to an emphasis on pampering and relaxation rather than the more traditional offerings of a health farm.
As I am sure you will appreciate, it is very difficult for us to legislate for the behaviour of other, less considerate, guests in the Drawing Room, however, we do have a responsibility to maintain the peace and tranquillity afforded by Stobo. As can be seen by the majority of our Tripadvisor reviews, we are usually very successful in this respect and I can only assume that the day you visited was particularly busy. A closer eye will be kept on noise levels on these occasions in the future.
As you correctly point out, our prices have not changed a great deal in the last few years, however neither has the length of our treatments and I apologise unreservedly for your massage and facial being cut short on this occasion.
I’m truly sorry that you feel unable to visit Stobo again and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom over the years.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Where to start? Set amongst the rolling hillside of the beautiful Scottish Borders this gem of a retreat offers not just the best of relaxation, pampering and gastronomic delights but in a relaxed and soothing atmosphere. The staff were impeccable and nothing was to much trouble. For those not partaking of the fantastic spa treatments there was still the beautiful swimming pool or the sauna or the steam room or the jacuzzi.....I could go on and on. A walk through the Japanese water gardens first thing in the morning is also recommended.
If you are looking for somewhere a bit special for that birthday/anniversary this has to be on the short list of places to go.
We will be back, I don't know when, but count on it.

Room Tip: The classic rooms are large with two double beds with seating area, and we found them to be more tha...
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank John508598
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Stobo.
I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed every aspect of your visit, particularly the soothing ambience and the service from our staff.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Visited with friends and family for the first time and it most definitely wont be the last. The hotel is ideal for a chilled and relaxing time. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was absolutely beautiful with 2 large sumptuous double beds, balcony and everything to make our stay special. Service was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Food was fab! We had individual treatments in the spa and again staff there were friendly and treatments great. Made full use of the pool, hot tubs, steam room and sauna and it was such a relaxing time.
Already saving for our next visit. Can not wait!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank ADonaghey
Dear Guest,
I was so pleased to hear that your first visit to Stobo was such a success and many thanks for commenting on the relaxing atmosphere and our friendly, professional staff.
Delighted to hear you will be joining us again for a second visit!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 30th Wedding anniversary by enjoying a wonderful 3 night break at Stobo. It is a really lovely place in a very picturesque setting.
The staff are very attentive and the food is fabulous. We stayed in the Selkirk room and although the decor was not to our taste and the sloping ceilings were a little hazardous for my 6ft 3in tall husband, it was immaculate and very comfortable.
One constructive criticism would be that it needs a couple of hooks either in the shower or above the bath where you could hang your damp swimming costume and also a couple of hooks for the bathrobes as these also get damp and are not replaced everyday.
i would recommend this beautiful hotel to everybody,

Room Tip: The second floor rooms have sloping ceilings in places so be careful if you are tall.
1 Thank G C
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for choosing to spend such a landmark anniversary at Stobo.

I must admit to a degree of empathy with your husband regarding the décor of the Selkirk Room - it's a bit on the "girly" side! I'm not sure what other rooms were available when you booked but I think I'll instruct our Reservations Office to offer alternative accommodation for couples.

With many thanks for your most constructive comments.

Kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Visited Stobo with two girlfriends for an overnight stay a few mondays ago.
They had a twin room and myself a single as we were a last minute booking so no rooms for 3 were available.
The décor was impressive, bright and fresh in both rooms. A delight to stay in. We requested an ice bucket for a bottle of fizz we brought with us and it arrived promptly.
The sun was shinning that day so we went straight to the outdoor hot tub. It would be lovely if plastic flutes were provided so we could enjoy our fizz outside. Would add to the good life feel of it.
Unfortunately there is quite a large amount of flies in the hot tub. We were outside for over half an hour and again the next morning and no one came to clean it so think this has to be done a little more regularly.
Thoroughly enjoyed using the indoor spa facilities. Pool is great and jacuzzi inside is almost like having a massage. Tho the two steamrooms are my favourite.
Im a bit of a foodie and was very impressed with dinner, as were my friends. The venison was beautiful and the veg served with it was very well done. We tried 3 different desserts and they were all amazing! The staff were all very attentive and added to the experience throughout our stay.
We had treatments booked the following morning. This was the only negative of my stay. I had a back massage and mini facial. Both were at discounted rates for the month. If i had paid full price for them i would have made a complaint at the time as they were definitely not worth the money. I have massage and facials on a regular basis so know when someone is just going through the motions. The back massage was ok, once i requested a little extra pressure i enjoyed it and came out feeling relaxed tho it was a little shy of the time. The facial im afraid was nothing more than a bit of face cleansing and moisturiser with no notice taken of your skin type. I felt it was a waste and again shy of the time. Ive noticed a few people being less than impressed with treatments but no reply has been made to these complaints specifically. Do Stobo know the treatments are not up to their 5 star rating and trying to ignore it i wonder? I wish i had only booked one treatment and gone for a full body massage which i may be tempted to do in future but after my first experience i would not expect any treatments to be up to the standard that they should be here.
We had lunch before we headed home. Wonderful food again and great choice. I must also say that the breakfast in the morning was also great quality and great choice. I cannot fault the food anywhere. We had a lovely walk in the Japanese Gardens before we headed for home.
In all a fabulous time. Will definitely be back would just avoid the treatments and would highly recommend an overnight stay, especially with such great value as dinner, overnight, breakfast and lunch with full use of the spa was only £129. Looking forward to booking my next visit!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
2 Thank HMFeeney
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your most comprehensive review, following your visit to Stobo last month for an overnight stay with your friends.

Huge apologies for the disappointment you experienced with your facial - as a matter of good practice, I will certainly look into the concerns you have raised. I would, however, like to assure you that we place great importance on the professionalism of all our staff as you would expect from an organisation accredited with Investor in People Gold status.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed the other aspects of your visit and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Stobo at your convenience.

With kind regards,
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We just had another fantastic break at Stobo Castle and are, sadly, back home. :(
The room was fantastic, the food was, as always, really fresh, healthy and extremely enjoyable, the Staff were great (super friendly, hospitable and enthusiastic) ; clearly, they love their jobs . My wife loved her 3 treatments and was extremely impressed with the Spa employees: so genuinely kind and professional! Congratulations and a huge thankyou to the excellent management.

Room Tip: Classic and deluxe rooms are best.
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting such a favourable review, following your latest visit to Stobo in the company of your wife.

I was delighted to hear how much she enjoyed her treatments and the level of care she received from our spa staff.

With kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
Dalhousie Castle
Dalhousie Castle
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,279 reviews

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!