“Great weekend break!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Peebles, United Kingdom
“Great weekend break!”
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

A fantastic & freindly hotel located in beautiful country side.
Our room was comfy & clean with great views on to the golf course.
The evening meal in the restaurant provided great food & great service at reasonable prices.

• Stayed January 2013
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I have just taken over as General Manager at the hotel and I too have been very impressed with the team, food and service at the hotel.

I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Stuart Maxwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Probably the poorest service I've ever experienced. First of all for starter ordered black pudding with a soft poached egg and pancetta. First of all, the poached egg was overcooked and the pancetta was cold-absolute basics any chef should be able to master. Re-ordered wine at 8.20; at 8.50 was advised wine was out if stock. Made second choice but by 9.10 wine still hadn't arrived so approached restaurant manager who arranged for wine to brought to the table. I say brought as the wine was dumped unopened, not sure what they expected me to do as unfortunately I'd not brought a corkscrew with me. Had to chase the manager again, this time to arrange to get the wine opened. Through all of this no apology was offered - you would have thought that basic training would have ensured this would have happened but apparently not. Night rounded off by being interrupted whilst having a quiet drink in the cocktail bar by staff hoovering around us which surely could have been done when the bar was empty. Just not what you'd expect from a McDonald hotel. NOT recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Iannisbet07
Falkirk
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel at a similar time last year and thought it was very good. However this year's experience was not so good. Generally the hotel facilities were fine until we went for dinner, Waited 25 minutes before our drinks and starter appeared. It then took about 45-50 minutes to clear the empty plates (a previous reviewer complained about waiting 20 minutes - lucky him). We were not the only table with this problem - it was quite obvious that other tables were also fed up (sic) waiting. The head waiter did apologise and said there was a problem in the kitchen, however further details were not forthcoming. The main course did eventually arrive and was good. The staff were great and I have no complaint against them, but for a four star hotel there seemed to be no plan B or C when a major kitchen problem arose. Poor management?

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We had spent the New Year in this lovely hotel with very good leisure facilities, clean rooms and pleasant surroundings. The food was pretty good and the service was excellent; the members of staff were very happy to assist us, friendly, and Morag Stark -Manager had been the BEST HOSTwe ever met- she had been as usual very polite, elegant, very nice to all guests, helpful and caring.

Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel and as I have a "cows milk allergy" I thought it best I contact them before travelling, the response I received from Holly on reception should have been a warning as when I tried to explain my allergy to her, she gave a very audible exasperated sigh as if it was to much much trouble for her and it took 4 attempts before she finally listened.
Maybe Holly new something I didn't, as the hotel did not cater for my allergy, they merely tolerated me and did not offer any replacement meals.
On the first night "New Year's Eve" I managed to find something on the menu that I could eat and it was a very enjoyable meal, however I had to go to a supermarket and buy my own dairy free spread as the hotel hadn't bothered.
On the second night there was next to nothing on the menu that I could eat. Of the 4 starters, all contained milk product and I was given a hastily thrown together starter that consisted of slices of under ripe melon, old curled up sour passion fruit and some slices of very bitter orange. This starter I left as it was disgusting and on telling the waiter this, he laughed in my face. All 4 main dishes contained milk products and all I could have was a steak and chips without any sauce. Once again the 4 dessert choices contained milk products and at this point I left the table very upset and tried to speak to the manager but he never offered any solution merely saying that my body language and hand signals were quite aggressive.
When I pointed out that I was very upset and his hand signals were identical to mine, he had no answer, nor did he have any answer to my dietary requirements nor did he apologies for the fact that I could not be fed. This however did not stop him from charging for the food I could not eat.
During our 2 night stay at this hotel my wife probably spent more time cleaning our room than the staff had prior to our arrival or during our stay. The window ledge had many dirty rings on it that had obviously been there for some time, the bedside cabinets also had similar rings and the toilet was not cleaned during our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful setting and the leisure facility's are superb. Our room was a decent size wit two chairs. We were attending a wedding and a brief seat in the chairs left our clothes covered in dog hairs. We had to clean our newly laundered clothes before we could leave the room to attend the wedding. We had requested a no smoking room, but never thought to request a no pets room, if such a thing exists. It's one thing a hotel allowing pets and this may unit dog owners, but not everyone appreciates being allocated a room full of dog hairs. If I had known about them allowing pets I would not have booked (I never book in to a hotel that allows pets) . As someone else has already said, the room was cold with the heater turned off and it took a while to heat up. It was the end of December so I would have thought try could have put the heating on prior to our arrival. We will now have to put all our clothes that we wore in the room into the cleaners, so have ended up with an added expense that was not budgeted for. Disappointed and will certainly not return to a Macdonalds hotel while they have a 'pets welcome' policy.

Room Tip: Don't book if you have a problem with dog hairs.
2 Thank Bikeboy1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Spent Christmas here with my elderly mother, brother & sister in law. My mother is disabled and so this hotel is just perfect for anyone with mobility issues - easy to get around and spacious well laid out, quiet bedrooms. Wonderful views over the (very flooded!) golf course to the hills beyond. Great pool - decent size too for a hotel pool - plus well equipped gym. I had a massage - very relaxing. Food was fine, without being absolutely amazing - breakfasts done particularly well. We ate mainly in the Renwicks Restaurant which had just the right atmosphere for the clientele, who are 'slightly on the mature side' at Christmas! Service was excellent in the restaurant, bar area and rooms - prompt and helpful.
We stayed on a 3 night package, which was exceptionally good value; before chosing, I'd checked out most of the hotels in the area and this one was certainly the best value over Christmas.

Room Tip: Fourth floors - both sides have good views but the golf views are better.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardrona
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!