Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa
US$94
US$112
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Cross Keys Hotel(Peebles)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$109
Travelocity
  • Pool
2,898 results
All reviewslovely hotelcream teaexecutive roombar pricessteam room and saunafirst classrelaxing breakleisure facilitiesdb bevening mealboth nightsfood was lovelyenjoyable staycooked breakfastbed and breakfastlovely roomshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2013

3rd time I have stayed at this hotel and I have to report it is very nice indeed. Set in a nice valley with golf course attached, fantastic food and a nice lounge to have a few drinks in the evening. Ideal for those wanting peace and quiet. Staff are all exceptionally friendly especially Andrew in the down stairs bar and Alana at reception. All in all very good.
Also my wife had one of the SPA treatments [Neck Massage] and t sorted her right out!

Room Tip: Facing the golf course is probably the best with a high floor room ... although the downstair rooms facing the course do have a small balcony, table and chairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

From the minute I booked direct with this hotel until the moment we checked out we received excellent customer service and had a very enjoyable 2 night stay.

We stayed Friday and Saturday on a DBB basis in a standard room. I enquired at check in for a golf view room to avoid the noise from the road, but none were available for both of our nights. This wasn’t a problem as we slept fine and there really were no noise issues at all. For standard our room was excellent. We liked the armchairs and table and we loved the opening doors. Despite not having a balcony, I liked being able to open the doors and stand at the window taking in the view! The room also came with a safe, heated towel rail, water, tea/coffee (and hot chocolate – winner for me!) facilities and a large shower and separate bath. Very comfortable room, slept well and enjoyed chilling out there.

We aren’t golfers, but love spa hotel breaks. We used the spa facilities a number of times over the weekend. As a regular swimmer I was impressed and thrilled that the pool had a lane – I’ve never seen this in a hotel before and I loved that MacDonalds had this in place. The steam room, sauna and changing facilities were all good and although we didn’t use it, the gym looked modern with plenty of machines.

The hotel is 3 miles from Peebles (nice walk along the cycle path at the back of the hotel) but we just stuck to the hotel at nights rather than venture in. Had we been there an extra night I think we would have walked into Peebles for a pub crawl and got a taxi back. There are also plenty of buses going to Peebles – felt like every time I looked at the main road a bus was going by. So a night out in Peebles would be easily done. We enjoyed having our dinner and going for a walk around the grounds/cycle path afterwards, making the most of the light evenings while they last!

We were happy our meals at the hotel, the only let down are the drink prices, which I was well aware of as they are well documented in reviews on here. Pints were acceptable at £3.60, however for a 250ml glass of wine I would have been paying £9+ which made me feel that I didn’t want it all that much. Surely they would make more profit from selling wine a little cheaper, therefore ensuring more people would buy it? Or perhaps as a golf resort they are already achieving this with cheaper pints. Whatever the reason, I was disappointed and made sure I had a bottle of prosecco packed to enjoy in my room (thank you ice bucket!) Fore warned is fore armed!

Yes, so the meals were excellent. I had hoped the menu would differ over our 2 nights, however it didn’t, but we still managed to find enough variety over our 2 meals. The beetroot and potato gnocci with the fish was a new concept to me and very nice it was too. My partner raved about his beef medallions and we each enjoyed our starters and desserts. Service was very good both nights, although Friday night stood out a lot more as silver service compared to Saturday. Not a problem though, as the staff were very attentive on both nights, just an observation.

Breakfast was a continental buffet alongside a menu for hot items. When they came it looked a little sad on my plate – one bacon, one sausage, one egg etc…. but the quality was certainly there and it filled us up. I really liked that you could go down for a later breakfast up until 10:30 which gave us plenty of time to exercise before eating. There was also an option for breakfast in bed for a £3 delivery charge which I thought was excellent and we decided to partake in this on our second day. I would do this again as it was really nice to eat breakfast by our open doors without the hustle and bustle of the dining room (and those tables that can sometimes be too close together). There was a tick list in the room to select all the items you wished, so we didn’t miss out on anything from the restaurant.

There is plenty of parking at the hotel, although the specific hotel carpark is quite small, there are plenty of spaces in the Golf carpark which is right there next to it. I liked that the corridor lights were motion sensored, thus saving a lot of energy.

All in all we loved our 2 nights here and would happily return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay and a golf outing at the Macdonald Cardrona hotel.
From start to finish it was very well organised, the rooms were very comfortable and dinner in the restaurant was first class. Breakfast was of a very high standard, plenty of choice and great quality. Would highly recommend this hotel for a similar event.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2013

we stayed here for one night at the end of June. Although we were on a 5pm.co.uk voucher, we were treated no different to anyone else (which we have at several other establishments).

our room was ready early and we were on the 3rd floor overlooking front of hotel. no issues at all with noise or anything else. room was a standard which was set up for a twin, however, we asked if we could have a double and they promptly came and changed the set up. The bed was extremely comfortable and the shower was spacious and clean.

we used the leisure facilities which were good.

we were D,B&B and i must say the food was excellent, as well as the service. it was a pleasant experience with very attentive staff. we couldn't fault the food at all.

Next morning, the breakfast again was excellent - continental buffet and cooked breakfast made to order. high quality food and great presentation.

overall, it exceeded our expectations on all accounts and i would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

First impressions were good, lovely location, excellent parking facilities. On arrival we were directed from the main reception to the Spa reception as we had pre booked and paid for a full day spa experience. Upon arrival at the Spa Reception, we were asked to pay for our stay which we pointed out had been prepaid; there was no apology just mild dismissal / annoyance from the Spa reception. We were given a questionnaire to complete and asked to take a seat in the bar area and advised someone would be along to greet us. The bar area was not clean, thus giving a very disappointing first impression. There was food strewn across the carpet and the table tops had not been cleaned, the window sills were extremely dirty. The receptionist advised us that he would show us the facilities... however he only showed us the reception area we had just came through and directed us to the changing area as we walked past the spa. We had to ask if there was a relaxation area, to which he pointed through the spa and said “It’s over there” For the first treatment the therapist did not introduce herself and totally dismissed the schedule we had been given by the reception team advising us that “we don’t really follow that” this caused an inconvenience as we had planned our day around the schedule of treatments. On the afternoon schedule we were advised the appointment was for 2.30pm, we arrived promptly and were then advised to come back at 4pm. There was an issue with the pool area / changing rooms drainage as there was quite an offensive smell. Overall I was extremely disappointed in this visit to the hotel and spa. The Hotel itself looked very tired and dirty in places (we never saw any cleaning staff throughout the full day). The Spa treatments were acceptable; however some of the therapist’s customer engagement could be improved. That said, lunch was excellent and served in their restaurant on the second floor... the staff were lovely and the food was good.
Based on my experience I would not be happy to recommend a visit or stay to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends