“1st class hotel and staff”

Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We bought an Amazon deal for one night dinner, bed & b/fast and on booking up, we upgraded and paid £20 extra to stay in an Executive Room which overlooked the golf course at the back of the hotel. When we arrived at Reception on arrival on Sun 4 May, we were told they'd upgraded us again to a Deluxe Room (no further cost) and we were more than happy with the room and view that we had. The hotel was very busy but we found the staff to be extremely polite, helpful, friendly and very professional.
Prior to staying, I informed the hotel that my husband is vegetarian and I'm vegan and were delighted to be given a separate menu with 3 choices of starter, mains and dessert - food was lovely. It's so nice to have a choice, not just to be given take it or leave it option.

This morning (Mon 5/5), we used the pool and steam room which added to a relaxing weekend.
Then breakfast and again, the restaurant staff were very helpful and the lovely head restaurant manager (didn't get her name sorry) came up to us and said that we could order a separate cooked vegetarian breakfast this morning - we wanted to thank her too for all her help and for looking after us.
There is a huge variety of fresh and dried fruits, cereals, hot and cold food, juices, teas/coffees, bread, bagels etc - enough to satisfy anyone.

We would definitely stay at the Macdonald Cardrona Hotel again if there were any other deals on and would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an Executive Room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Susan

Thank you for your great review, we do appreciate the time taken to post feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stuart Maxwell

Write a ReviewReviews (2,814)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed one night on an Amazon deal and were treated as first class guests. We were allocated a superb room and although it faced a main road the view of the Border hills more than made up for that.
Restaurant was excellent with very good waiters and waitresses and we were allocated a window table. Dinner and breakfast were top quality. This was specially pleasing as we were celebrating my wife's birthday. Additionally a voucher was obtained for a round of golf. Stewardess could not have been more friendly and helpful and allowed an earlier start. Golf course itself was in very fine condition and the round, although not in good weather, was very enjoyable.
The hotel is beautifully equipped, set in very pleasant surroundings.
We would definitely return and were delighted to be regarded as equal guests with those paying full rate, unlike another hotel in nearby Peebles!
Well done, Cardrona. We will be back.

1  Thank donaldwynd

Dear Donald

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

The golf course is indeed in great condition just now, I hope you scored well.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Had my wedding in September at cadrona macdonald hotel and couldn't of been happier.
The staff were brilliant and the food was outstanding nothing was ever a problem we felt so relaxed.
The function room was a perfect size and all the window made it so light looking out to the perfect view.
The weather did help we got some lovely photos with the hills in the background.
Johanna and Sean Norval

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Johanna

Thank you very much for your kind review following your wedding with us.

I am delighted that you had a great day and we wish you well for the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for one night and enjoyed the hotel and the surroundings. The staff were all very pleasant especially the reception staff. The room was quite large and had everything you need for a comfortable stay. We did not use the gym or the swimming pool but we had a look and they seemed excellent. There is a nice walk along the river and even though it was raining we were treated to a gorgeous rainbow right over the hotel and the golf course.
We had dinner in the bar as it seemed a similar price to what we would pay if we ate in peebles. It was fine although would not rave about it. The drinks prices were steep but as you would expect in a hotel. My husband was a bit disappointed by the poor selection of beer especially as there are a few breweries nearby. Would have been nice to have a choice of local Scottish beers.The breakfast was very good and was freshly cooked to order. You could also help yourself to juices, breads etc and the quality was very good.
We really enjoyed our stay and would go back.

1  Thank LDS009
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Spent Saturday night at this hotel, lovely friendly staff and the food was good. Paid extra for room looking over golf course, which had a large comfortable bed. The only downside to this hotel is that it allows dogs,not that I have anything against them, its just we sat on the sofas to have a drink and you couldnt see the carpet for dog hairs not something I expect when stopping in a hotel.
This would not stop me from returning to this hotel as we like the area and is close enough to home for a one night stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here on the lazy crazy deal. We had Go Ape in morning which was amazing, followed with a lovely 2 course lunch and cocktail, 3 course dinner and stay. Have been here a couple of times an love it. We managed to enjoy some beautiful weather in the garden. Would highly recommend this hotel. We always have a wonderful time.

Dear Amanda

Thank you very much for your great review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Lazy/Crazy break. The break is our most popular package that we sell and indeed does offer great value for spa and activities.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband booked a dbb deal for the hotel over Easter for some much needed relaxation. We were allocated a room which was quite disappointing as was facing the main road however we weren't too bothered as we were only there for a night and I assumed this was because it was purchased via a deal. I had booked an hour long spa treatment in advance at normal price which I was very much looking forward to. When we arrived at the hotel I asked reception whether a robe would be provided in the spa (so I knew what to take downstairs with me) and was advised it would. Following my treatment I decided to go for a swim and had to ask if I could have a robe. I was then quizzed over which side of the hotel I was staying on to which I said the side facing the road, I was then promptly informed that only people staying on the side of the hotel facing the golf course would be entitled to a robe! I was given one after advising that reception had said one would be provided but too late I'm afraid as I was already made to feel like a second class citizen and very embarrassed. The fact that I had just paid upfront for a mediocre spa treatment wasn't enough to warrant a robe either! Quite frankly the robe was irrelevant, what was more disappointing was that a hotel which must require the custom (hence the deal offer) would openly advise their customers as to how they differentiate between their guests. Dinner was also disappointing as portions were very small (heard someone else complain about this too). Would advise friends against booking this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you book the 'best side' of the hotel to get preferential treatment
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenny N
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Jenny

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your stay was tarnished.

We do provide robes in all of our Executive and Superior rooms which overlook the golf course. Our Classic rooms unfortunately do not have robes in as a standard. We are always happy to offer an upgrade to a front facing room if one is available. Our upgrades start at £30 per night.

I am sorry you were not satisfied but please be assured I will disucss your comments with the team to ensure they are addressed where appropriate to do so.

Stuart Maxwell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardrona
Peebles Hydro
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!