We were delighted with our deal for a two night stay with DBB for 12 intrepid golfers on both nights.
The service on the first night dinner was very poor. Red & white wine was ordered neither bottle was presented to check if it was what we ordered and neither was offered for tasting. It was subsequently discovered that the white wine was not chilled and the red, wine after it was poured into glasses of a few diners, was found to be an incorrect wine. A Chilean Merlot had been ordered and was in fact found to be a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. This was drawn to the attention of the waiter who served the wine and his excuse was the C Sauvignon was served as they had run out of Chilean Merlot. We said this was unacceptable as it had not been drawn to our attention and we had not been given the opportunity to make a different choice. He said he would draw this to the attention of his manager but no recompense was offered.
Further, only enough bread was offered to half the diners. Also at no point during the meal did any staff member ask as if everything was to our satisfaction, as is the case at most good hotels and restaurants in my opinion.
We then discussed our dissatisfaction with what appeared to be a senior looking member of staff. Her explanation was that bread was only provided for those diners taking soup as their first course. This we found was very poor service.
On the second night's dinner the service improved significantly. We were all welcomed to our tables, bread was offered to all diners regardless of what starters they were having and their was no issues regarding wine or food.
The adjacent golf course was a good test and set in lovely Border's countryside on y the banks of the the River Tweed. Although a long course, with a lot of walking between greens and tees the golf was enjoyed by us all.
I found the wet-side facilities disappointing. There was a long pool, no jacuzzi and the sauna was out of operation. The steam room was average. There was a gymnasium and spa facilities which I did not use.
The hotel although satisfactory was rather soul-less. At check-in there was no offer of baggage been transported to our rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland