Just returned from a 2 night family stay at the Macdonald Cardrona and doubt I'd book again.
Originally tried to book on Booking.com but the website had incorrect information showing so had to ring Macdonald directly. I was told by the operator that I would be upgraded to an Executive Family room which, instead of having a sofa bed, had 2 single beds and a double.
On arrival at the hotel, the upgrade to 'Executive' actually meant that there was indeed a sofa bed, with a camp bed and a double. And two dressing gowns. And a view of the golf course. After querying this with reception, I was told that Reservations had given me the wrong information. What a let down!
Due to lack of space in the room, we asked housekeeping to remove the camp bed and my kids shared the sofa bed for our two night stay.
On the subject of beds. Be careful.
The double bed was incredibly uncomfortable; I constantly woke through the night because of springs digging in my back. Not very executive!
A short while after arriving in the room, I was flicking through the guest information book and discovered a disgusting, vulgar message which had been left by either a previous guest or disgruntled employee. I took this down to reception and reported it to the lady on duty who didn't seem in the slightest bit bothered by my unpleasant find. Not great customer service.
Breakfast in the hotel was pleasant enough; cold buffet selection then hot meals to order which were nice, but please, hotel manager - please sort your dishwasher out. On both mornings, every single glass had dried orange juice welded to them. Not very hygienic at all and extremely off putting. The dining area seemed large enough for the amount of diners but the furniture was shoddy - not what you would expect in an upmarket hotel.
The pool area was nice and my kids enjoyed that, but there is no clear path for parents who do not wish to swim and just want to observe on the loungers. Myself and another guest were told that there were blue overshoes available so we could walk through. There wasn't.
The one saving grace for this hotel is the location. With stunning views of Cardrona's hills and it's proximity to Peebles and Edinburgh, I can see why people chose to stay there. Unfortunately though, I'll be booking the Barony Castle next time I'm in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland