We arrived on Tuesday 12th August at 14:40, we had to wait for our room to be ready which would have been fine but we were just stood in reception. At 15:10 we asked how much longer we had to wait to be told that our room was now ready, room 210. Having taken our luggage to our room we found that the housekeepers were only just starting in our room so off we had to go and stand in reception. We understand these things happen, but to just stand in reception wasn't really a great start to our holiday, a brew whilst we waited would have been a lovely gesture and would have taken the edge off the wait.
Once we were unpacked we checked out the local area, don't expect much, there isn't really anything. We did find the walking routes in the forest opposite the hotel and loved the easy to use routes for different levels of walkers or bikers. There is also a Go Ape there which was fun to watch.
We did expect the hotel to have activities but there was no obvious sign of life at the outdoor station.
We decided to eat in the hotel on the first night and, although a little bit pricy, the restaurant really is the jewel of the hotel. The staff were lovely and the food delicious. This made us want to eat in the hotel over the next few days we were there.
Nicola particularly as I have just had a spinal op and she noticed I was struggling and got me a little pillow to support my back, this was in place whenever Nicola was on duty, little points like that really made a difference to my comfort and it was a lovely gesture.
Viktor was a great barman and kept my husband topped up with beer.
The major flaw with staying here was the alarms, they repeatedly kept going off in the middle of the night, the first three nights we were there they went off 4 times, resulting on some occasions with full evacuations, the last night it got beyond a joke going off eight times during the night resulting in a full evacuation 2 times, after that we decided we would only get up if we could smell smoke. We know that things happen, but it was a bit much and what was disappointing was that we never got any official word from the hotel as to what was going on, or no apology. This made us tired and grumpy during our stay when we were supposed to be relaxing.
We have stayed at many MacDonald hotels and lodges, would we stay at this one again?? Perhaps, the alarms were extremely annoying but the restaurant was lovely and we would like to use the forest again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, HRS, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland