“Alarms!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Alarms!!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We arrived on Tuesday 12th August at 14:40, we had to wait for our room to be ready which would have been fine but we were just stood in reception. At 15:10 we asked how much longer we had to wait to be told that our room was now ready, room 210. Having taken our luggage to our room we found that the housekeepers were only just starting in our room so off we had to go and stand in reception. We understand these things happen, but to just stand in reception wasn't really a great start to our holiday, a brew whilst we waited would have been a lovely gesture and would have taken the edge off the wait.
Once we were unpacked we checked out the local area, don't expect much, there isn't really anything. We did find the walking routes in the forest opposite the hotel and loved the easy to use routes for different levels of walkers or bikers. There is also a Go Ape there which was fun to watch.
We did expect the hotel to have activities but there was no obvious sign of life at the outdoor station.
We decided to eat in the hotel on the first night and, although a little bit pricy, the restaurant really is the jewel of the hotel. The staff were lovely and the food delicious. This made us want to eat in the hotel over the next few days we were there.
Nicola particularly as I have just had a spinal op and she noticed I was struggling and got me a little pillow to support my back, this was in place whenever Nicola was on duty, little points like that really made a difference to my comfort and it was a lovely gesture.
Viktor was a great barman and kept my husband topped up with beer.
The major flaw with staying here was the alarms, they repeatedly kept going off in the middle of the night, the first three nights we were there they went off 4 times, resulting on some occasions with full evacuations, the last night it got beyond a joke going off eight times during the night resulting in a full evacuation 2 times, after that we decided we would only get up if we could smell smoke. We know that things happen, but it was a bit much and what was disappointing was that we never got any official word from the hotel as to what was going on, or no apology. This made us tired and grumpy during our stay when we were supposed to be relaxing.
We have stayed at many MacDonald hotels and lodges, would we stay at this one again?? Perhaps, the alarms were extremely annoying but the restaurant was lovely and we would like to use the forest again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LB1978
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

I am very sorry for any upset caused by the delay in entering your bedroom and also with the fire alarms. Evacutaions are not a common occurence at the hotel and the disruption was caused by a fault which we thankfully managed to resolve in the morning.

I do appreciate your feedback and do hope your experience will not deter you from using Macdonald Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Stuart Maxwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I did expect more if I'm honest. My double bed was actually two singles shoved together, which meant I had an uncomfortable nights sleep. This combined with a fire alarm ringing for a continuous Half an hour in the small hours of the morning on one day followed by a short sharp blast the next day for good measure really irritated me. The room however was a lovely size and the bonus of having a bath and a shower is rare in hotels. The room was clean, however the carpet was tired and worn in places, and as always the plug sockets were few and far between. I also was irritated that I couldn't adjust the temperature in the room, and found that the lighting was a bit odd, with the main area having no light sources other than the various lamps dotted around.
The view over the golf course was spectacular and is a huge redeeming feature!
The food itself was delicious, I ordered a range of room service options most evenings with generous portions and speedy courteous delivery. I chose to eat in the bar area on one occasion, and my steak was cooked as specified, but service here is where the hotel falls short. Waiting for staff to appear is frustrating, and they seem pre occupied with cleaning tasks, and I had the same experience every morning at breakfast, having to seat myself, then staff appearing and appearing to be inconvenienced and offended that I hadn't waited in the lobby for an eternity!
The array of cold buffet options was fantastic, as you would expect, however the cooked option disappointed me. The quality was good, there was just nowhere near enough of it on my plate, one micro sausage, one rasher of bacon a clearly cooked from frozen hash brown and a few other bits and bobs served on a ridiculously big plate is not enough in my opinion, and could be improved.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Lavania1407
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Lavania

Thank you very much for your review following your stay last week.

I am very sorry if you felt let down by our standards and service. We do always aim to exceed our guests expectations rather than fail to meet them.

On the matter of beds the majority of our room utilise zip and link beds which are designed to be used as either two singles or a king size bed. The beds in the hotel have just been replaced this month, I am very sorry that you did not find them comfortable.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the size of the bedroom and quality of the bathroom. We are fully refurbishing a large number of our bedrooms this winter and they will all receive addditonal sockets and improved ceiling lighting to meet the needs of todays travellers.

I have spoken to Nicki my Restaurant Manager about delays in the bar and at breakfast. Nicki was aware that you had sat yourself one morning and apologises for any delay you felt she had caused.

I do apologise that our breakfast was not up to the standard and quantity expected. As a company we have won awards for our breakfast. Our sausages are all specially made for us to our own recipe from pork from one farmer in the UK. We would happily have provided more of each item if asked. As for hash browns, we dont serve them in the hotel, I am not sure which item this was?

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back and offer an improved visit the next time you may be in the area.

Scotland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Recently visited the hotel for a short break with my husband. We arrived at 1.30pm, and were greeted by a lovely young lady on reception, who informed us our room was ready (even though we were an hour and a half early). We were really chuffed to be told we had been upgraded, as on my booking request I had mentioned the trip was part of our Silver Wedding celebrations. Our room (114) was beautiful - spacious, clean and had patio doors leading out to a seating area. We ate in the restaurant, and the staff were fantastic. The food was delicious and the service was first rate. My husband took full advantage of the leisure facilities, and fully enjoyed the experience. The staff at breakfast were attentive and extremely pleasant. We hired a golf cart, and my husband set out to play 18 holes - as an avid golfer he likes to play as many courses as he can, and although he is hard to please, this course certainly met with his approval - he even managed to come in 'on par', so that was a bonus! The hotel was busy, but never felt crowded. The staff were hard working and a credit to the hotel. Since our return, we have raved about our trip to our friends and family, and hope they will also visit, and enjoy the hotel, staff and surroundings as much as we did. Thank you very much to the management team and members of staff - we loved every minute!

Room Tip: Some lower floor rooms have advantage of patio doors leading to outdoor seating area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMAR
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you very much for your excellent review, it is appreciated by us all at the hotel.

I will make sure the team receive a copy of your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I booked this hotel for a birthday treat for my husband. I booked through spa breaks.

On arrival at the hotel at 1450 we went to reception to be told our room wasn't ready and to take a seat and come back at 1500hrs! Ok it does say check in from 3pm but i thought ten minutes would have been fine and thought if the room wasn't ready they may have said. We will let you know when room is ready rather than tell us to come back. Anyway we returned 10 minutes later and got our room keys. Room 417 on the 4th floor with a view of the front of hotel.

The room itself was a good size and clean. There was TV, bottle of water, tea and coffee, a trouser press, iron, hairdryer. In the bathroom there was toiletries. There was a separate shower to the bath.

However as part of the package there was meant to be chocolate strawberries in the room along with a bottle of prosecco and it wasn't there. This part was a surprise for my husband and obviously spoiled as i had to phone to reception to find out where it was. The excuse was a mix up with the spa breaks people and head office.

We then went to the spa where we had treatments booked again part of deal. On arrival the staff were not very welcoming and when we asked for some robes since having time before treatments to go for a swim we were asked abruptly are you on a spa package. I thought this would be on the booking. We did get some robes and enjoyed some time at the pool. There is no jacuzzi and the pool itself is a bit dated. There is no water fountain either to get a drink.

The treatment itself was ok not the best i have had but enjoyed all the same.

Dinner in the restaurant however could not be faulted the service was brilliant and the food was amazing. We both enjoyed.

The same for breakfast the service was first class and the breakfast one of the best i have had.

A shame a few minor things let the hotel down.

Room Tip: view of golf course
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerry R
Dear Kerry

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighetd that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.

I will look into and action improvements from the constructive feedback you have provided.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Dalry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our mini break at the Cardrona Hotel, Peebles. The food is excellent, the staff were very helpful and professional. The location is fantastic and the facilities of the hotel second to none. Overall, a very pleasant experience and we shall be returning soon.
JAC

Room Tip: The views overlooking the golf course are fantastic
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnchad
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Played golf here with 3 others in August 2014 having travelled down from Edinburgh. Did not stay in the hotel. Scenery was beautiful, course good (but 5 hour round) and hotel looked nice, We were however disappointed that having come off the course between 4:30 and 5:00 we learned that Spikes Bar was closing at 5:30 and no food of any kind was available after 5:00. As Spikes Bar has an outside terrace to use on a nice day - which this was - we and other golfers found this pretty bizarre. After some bargaining the barman offered us a limited selection of filled rolls - only 2 out of the four came as asked - my £3.45 cheese and pickle roll had no pickle in it and one of my friends could not get the simple ham roll he had ordered. We also noticed that the golf shop was shut at 5:00 (or before) so presumably those wanting to play after then couldn't unless they walked on the course for free - the practice range appeared closed all day. Maybe we just caught the golf section of this place on a bad day but we were certainly not impressed by the service side of it unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank C Saloux
Thank you very much for your review.

I am very sorry that your golf experience was not as you rightly expected. If you would be so kind as to contact my Golf Manager Simon Hermiston leismgr.cardrona@macdonald-hotels.co.uk we will look into your comments further for you.

I do hope this will not deter you from using Macdonald Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have visited this hotel almost every year since it opened so obviously we enjoy it. It is in a lovely location and is surrounded by a lovely golf course with the river tweed flowing through it. The rooms are spacious and are immaculately clean. The food is excellent and you get a lovely view from the Dining room. The staff are all extremely nice and can't do a enough for you. To conclude I would be pleased to recommend this hotel to anyone. We are looking forward to next year next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Edward

Thank you very much for your kind review and for your loyal support of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Stuart Maxwell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardrona
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!