“Really is amazing! Could not recommend more highly :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort

Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Really is amazing! Could not recommend more highly :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I read the reviews before choosing to visit and so glad I did - simply amazing. All the small touches and the friendly atmosphere is just extraordinary. If you love privacy and community feel rather than grand imposing shiny places but still want to feel like you are in paradise this is the place. The food alone.......wow! Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa40C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have never felt so relaxed! The service was professional but relaxed and genuinely friendly. Food was top-notch. Diving and snorkelling excellent. Bures simple but clean and all you want. The resort is small and remote - not everyone's taste, but it was great for us for a week. Thank you everyone!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

If you are looking for a place where you can completely disconnect from the crazy world we live in, then you need to visit Mai Dive!! Fiji typically offers package holidays to crowded resorts with big swimming pools and cocktail swilling tourists. Mai Dive offers tranquility, beauty and a place for you to completely unwind and relax.

The resort itself is pretty basic but very comfortable and clean. Our hut on the beach was private and the perfect place for devouring some cold Fiji bitter beer while reading our books. The food at the resort was fabulous - the guys and gals in the kitchen created culinary delights while singing away. Louie the waiter, it so attentive and always keen to share a story. My husband and I celebrated our anniversary while at Mai Dive - we hadn't told the resort this, but did mention it while on one of our dives. That night the team sang us a beautiful song and presented us with a super yummy chocolate cake - nice touch!!

We spent 7 nights with Mai Dive - we could have easily done more!! I would recommend staying a minimum of 7 nights and if you can stretch out your annual leave - stay for 14!! We spent 5 days diving and went to different sites each time. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the diving. There was some beautiful chilled out reef diving where the coral is in pristine condition, wall dives, drift dives, swim through / cavern dives - you name it, they got it!! We saw lots of small reef fish, plus the odd shark and turtle. One of the best things about the diving here is that you won't see any other boats and the number of divers is also small. Dee the local dive guide is such a honey - she is competent, relaxed and knows her stuff. The boat men are so skilled and always there is lend a hand with gear. We would also recommend snorkeling at Bird Island - the coral is out of this world!!!

My husband and I left Mai Dive feeling completely recharged. We loved our stay there and would recommend it to anyone who has a love of the great outdoors and wants to escape to an island oasis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Leticia H
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We spent just over a week at Mai Dive, and I can say in all honestly that it was absolutely perfect. Fantastic food, lodging and service set on a very remote and gorgeous beach on Ono Island. Diving with Dee was a ton of fun (especially dives on the purple wall and snorkeling at Bird Island). Joanna et al. were always available and helpful, and Joe was just really fun to be around.

I am not typically a fan of "all-inclusive" resorts, but this place is so small and personal that it doesn't feel like a resort at all. Instead, I felt like I was just being really spoiled at someone's perfect house or property. The generosity of the service seemed very genuine and friendly, not contrived like at larger resorts.

In short, we LOVED our time there and can not wait to go back to the beautiful spot that is Mai Dive and Ono Island. Thanks again to Mai Dive. We can't wait to go back!!

Megan and Paul

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan11111
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Fiji was my R&R stop after almost 3 weeks in NZ. Mai Dive was the first of two scheduled stops. However, I literally feel in love with the staff, the other guests, and the diving so much I decided to spend my entire time in Fiji at Mai Dive. Joanna makes you feel like family from the time you arrive. You are on a first name basis with all the staff and you literally feel as if the have welcomed you into their home. Meals are served "family" style -- there were 5 guests at the resort when I was there. We became family during our meals, on the dive boat, while drinking kava.

The diving is exceptional! The coral and fish (and, yes, sharks) that await you are exquisite. A friend told me that Fiji was THE place to dive in the South Pacific but I had no idea what awaited me. The size of fish...the colors... You truly must see!

Ono Island is about a 1.5 hrs boat ride from Kadavu. There are no cars, power is by generator. The night sky is unlike anything you have ever seen. The bure is feet from the ocean and crabs love digging up the lawn . However, if you are a diva and expect 5-star amenities, this is not for you. Mai Dive soothes your soul, replenishes your spirit, and creates bonds.

I cannot wait until I return, not just to Fiji, but to Mai Dive.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pibbleMom
Santa Marta, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed in Mai Dive for 3 MAGICAL weeks. I want to start by praising the staff ALL of them! They are absolutely AMAZING, they really made us feel at home.
The place is SPOTLESS clean and everything is done with LOVE, care and attention to detail. They really go out of their way to make you feel special. My husband and I were surprised with a beautiful romantic 1 year anniversary dinner, they even serenaded us! While you are there, make sure to spend time with the locals they are funny, genuine and pure people. The bures are spacious and they offered everything we needed. Bathing in the outdoor shower in pure FIJI water while enjoying the view of the tropical rain forest was definitely a highlight. The ocean is pristine, the colors of the water are out of this world as well as the coral, the place is literally full of LIFE. The food is as fresh as it gets, straight from the garden and the ocean, it's beautifully presented and the table is served with class. We travel around the world year round, some places are good at this... others are good at that... our experience of Mai Dive is that they have all their bases covered to offer their guests (family) the experience of a life time! I'm sure you'll agree with me, visit and experience it for yourself!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XimyMark
Sunshine Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was our 3rd holiday at Mai Dive ( Read previous reviews) and while we sorely missed Richard ( Resort Manager/ Instructor ) who left just before we arrived , Joanna admirably took over the running of the resort.

It’s difficult to add anything else to my previous reviews, staff, food and accommodation are still exceptional , the diving is superb and once again we were wonderfully well looked after by the resorts dive master, Maika.

Mai Dive is a place which will always be close to our hearts and I’m sure we’ll come back again at some stage in the future.

Bula vinaka, big lolomas to all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu
Tiliva Resort
Tiliva Resort
#3 of 3 in Kadavu Island

Been to Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort? Share your experiences!