“We were spoiled.”
Review of Koromakawa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ono Island
Koromakawa Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Meyersdale, PA
“We were spoiled.”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Three teenage boys (14, 16 and 17) and I began our 5-week trip to Fiji and Tonga by spending the first week at Koromakawa Resort. We should have saved Koromakawa for the last week, because nothing else can compare to Spence and Karin's unique resort and hospitality. Indeed, we WERE spoiled. Spence and two (of their seven) staff members met us immediately upon arrival at the airport in Vunisea, and then transferred us in Spencer's boat (the same one we later would use for diving) to Koromakawa, on Ono Island. We were treated with fresh fruit and cheese and crackers during the 90-minute boat ride. Spencer's enthusiasm for Kadavu, Ono, the Astrolabe Reef and the surrounding islands was contagious and kept us riveted to detail. Mrs. Kissler (Karin) and the other five staff members were waiting for us on the beach in front of the resort to greet us with Fijian welcome songs, a fresh coconut drink and warm hors d'oeuvres.

The (only) bure -- the one pictured on the website -- is nestled among tropical flowers, shrubs and trees, about 30 feet above the beach. One bedroom has both a king-sized and a single bed; the second bedroom has a superbly comfortable double. The bedrooms are connected by a large bathroom, with a central glass encased shower, which the boys thought was "awesome". Teenagers aren't known for quick showers, but Spencer's solar hot water system won the challenge. The bure itself is both cozy and cheery, and open on all four sides with expansive louvered (and screened) windows. Each room has a large ceiling fan, which was more than adequate for keeping us comfortable. "Eclectic" describes the tastefully appointed rooms in the bure (which is more like a luxurious cottage) as well as the furnishings in the Kissler's home.

Meal times were at the guests' leisure. Breakfast could be served out on the deck or in a nook within the living room. Brady (the youngest) wanted his eggs cooked (fried) somewhere between "dippy" and "over easy". (The kid and Karolina had such a serious discussion about cooking an egg!) I'm not sure of the difference, but Brady enjoyed exactly what he tried to describe the evening before. The meals were fantastic, varied, beautifully served, and always prepared to our liking. A week before our departure from the U.S., Spence sent an email saying that he and Karin had had no success locating (in Suva) a jar of mint jelly--which I had previously mentioned I like with lamb. However, by the time we arrived, mint jelly turned up on the Kissler's dining room table! Our evening meals--except for one--were served over in the Kissler's dining room, where we also took part in exciting and colorful meke and kava ceremonies. Dinner was served using Karin's family's heirloom china, crystal, candlelight--and great conversation. Elegant!

Although all of the meals were special, one in particular is unforgettable: Stephen's 17th birthday. Not too many boys from rural southwestern Pennsylvania will celebrate a 17th birthday in Fiji; I doubt any has had one as elaborate and distinctive. Karin, Karolina and Ita spent most of the afternoon decorating the thatched-roof table out on the bure's deck with tropical wildflowers, hibiscus and colorful croton leaves, not to mention dozens and dozens of candles. Steak and lobster. Karin's exquisite table setting. A Fijian serenade and "happy birthday". More music. And a bottle of champagne.

Scuba diving and snorkeling were excellent. (Incidentally, the water temperature was 81F in late June.) Spence went out of his way--way beyond the call of duty--to help Brady (the youngest) feel comfortable in the water. We dived with pilot whales and with manta rays on more than one occasion. The boys used kayaks to paddle up a small stream to a nearby school--then climbed UP to the top of a waterfall. One of the staff took us to the nearby island of Buliya so that we could attend Sunday morning church services. Late afternoons were spent playing beach volleyball with the staff and the Kisslers. Looking back, there was so much to do and not enough time. Note to myself: plan on two weeks next time.

The night before we departed, there was another kava ceremony, followed by singing and dancing in the Kissler's bure. Karin and Spence gave each of the boys a simple necklace, each with a single piece of polished coconut shell. I notice now that in all of the photos taken after we left Koromakawa, the boys were always wearing their prized possession. Four weeks later, at the Nuku'alofa airport, I found similar necklaces in the duty free shop. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a few more as replacements, as boys have a tendency to misplace things. All three declined my offer because, as Brady said, "They (the necklaces at the airport) wouldn't mean as much to me because this one--pointing to the one around his neck--was given to me by my friends." (heavy emphasis on the last word.)

The Kisslers are a world-class host and hostess. They and their staff ARE Koromakawa. When it came time to say our good-byes, Spence put an arm around me and thanked us "for sharing a week of your lives with Karin an me." He got it wrong.

Room Tip: Just go to Koromakawa. No further advice needed.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Grant A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Words cannot truly translate as to how we feel after staying with Spence and Karin at Koromakawa. This was our first trip to Fiji, and now I can’t imagine how we can go back to Fiji and not see them. They make you feel like you are a favorite relative that they haven’t seen in awhile. Even before we arrived, Spence kept saying, “get ready to be pampered!” I guess we just weren’t quite ready for what that all meant, but we did find out. And wow! From the very minute we arrived, Spence was waiting for us at the airport, ready to pick us up. And by the time we got to the resort, Karin was waiting on the beach with a big hug and singing with the rest of their lovely staff.
The food was incredible! Karin and Ita are wonderful cooks! Especially the lamb that was prepared for our arrival and Karin…that coffee ice cream dessert was amazing!! Karin paid close attention to detail as to our likes and dislikes, and prepared a menu that we really enjoyed. In fact we still miss that wonderful question at the end of the day by Karolina, “what time would you like breakfast?”
As for the diving, it was incredible as well. We are both divers, and Spencer is a very patient dive master. Darin took tons of pictures, and Spence just hung out until he was ready to move on. Which was very nice. Some dive masters seem to push the pace, and Spence went at our pace! And when we were ready to get back on the boat, Isikeli and Loro were there to help take our gear off. (Karin makes this outstanding hot chocolate for in between dives). If you get a little chilled on a dive, ask for it! Definitely worth it!
The mantas were outstanding! In fact, we tried to see them one day and they weren’t there. So the next day, Spence sent off Isakeli early in the morning, to find out if they were there. Which they were there! So we jumped in the boat to head out to see them before breakfast! It was very cool.
The island trip was unbelievable. In fact, if there were one thing we could change a bit about our trip, would be to spend more time on that island. We did a dive that morning, and little fishing. So by the time we got to the island, it was around 2pm. Make sure that you get a good amount of time there. It’s a cool experience.
Everything was pretty amazing, from the Kava ceremony, to the Meke! The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of hot water and water pressure.
If you do forget anything, they pretty much have that covered too. From bug spray, sunscreen, toothpaste, ECT.
So yes, I would highly recommend Koromakawa to anyone that wants to get away from it all! That wants to experience the true beauty that Fiji really is. Which is its people. Yes, Fiji is beautiful above and below the surface. But what makes it special for us, and I think many, is its people. And at Koromakawa, you get to experience that. And expand your family/circle of friends.
Vinaka Karin and Spence, and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My wife and I recently returned from our Honeymoon in Fiji and New Zealand. After staying in several fantastic resorts in the Yasawas, we capped our Honeymoon in Fiji at Koro Makawa. Our stay with Spence and Karin, the owners, EASILY(!!!) marked the highpoint of our entire trip. I can only hope we'll come across another resort half as wonderful as Koro Makawa in our future: the well maintained grounds, Ono and other nearby lush and still virgin islands [this region in Fiji's last frontier], our well appointed and very private bure, Fijian dance provided by the nearby village, our kava ceremony, a delicious lovo prepared especially for us, romance on top of romance (including the most romantic dinner of our lives), frequent Fijian music and singing, a delightful 'Cast Away' lunch on a private beach, the pristine and biologically diverse reef, a swim with manta rays, the friendly and professional staff, the delicious 'foodie quality' meals, and our time spent with Karin and Spencer made memories that'll last a lifetime. Unlike any resort we've enjoyed in the past, our trip was highly personalized including the activities, food, etc that we decided to enjoy (or avoid). If we had any desires, we only had to ask. We lacked nothing and were teary to have to leave. Karin and Spencer are truly exceptional, masters of the service industry, and all-around delightful, intelligent, and interesting people. They are detail-oriented and genuinely want to make sure you have an amazing time. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer than four nights. We sincerely hope to return for- perhaps- an anniversary. Put simply, if you're in Fiji and don't stay at Koro Makawa, I'm sorry.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Marana, Arizona
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Every year we do a live aboard dive boat with a group of divers to some far off, exotic location. Always fun seeing our dive buddies this one time each year, we still like a little time to ourselves to see which ever country we have chosen. This year our dive group was meeting in Fiji for our 10 days of live aboard diving so we chose Koromakawa Resort as a place to unwind before the somewhat hectic dive schedule of the live aboard. Unwind we did! We booked the lone guest cottage at the resort for 5 nights. Spense sent us some questions to answer as to what we wanted to eat, what we might like to do, if we wanted to dive etc. Being somewhat organizationally challanged, I was shooting questions off as they came to me instead of in one nice neat e-mail. I was pleased when each e-mail was answered in less than 24 hours, even one last minute question sent out a day before our departure!
After a very long day of travel, we were greeted at the airport in Kadavu by Spense and Isikelly and loaded into the boat for the 90 minute ride to Ono Island. Pac Sun had changed their flight schedule from when we originally booked the trip and we arrived so late in the day that it was dark by the time we arrived at the resort. We were met on the beach by Spense's wife Karin and several of the staff with lights, singing Fijian greetings and making us feel welcome. We were shown to our lodging, a beautifully furnished 2 bedroom cottage with more comforts than I have at home. We were asked what time and where we would like to eat, and given some space to rest and freshen up. Dinner was superb. After a good nights sleep we started our 'unwinding'. No schedules, no pressures, just fun and relaxation. We dove 2 of the days on the beautiful Astrolabe reef, snorkeled with the mantas, we fished (and actully caught fish) on our boating trips, walked with Nui to the village where the staff is from, visited the school, spent time with the children, were invited into the home of Ala, one of the Fijian ladies living in the village and also invited by the chief into his home. We asked Karin to come with us when she wasn't busy; she had so much local knowledge and was so fun to talk to and be with. We never saw another tourist or island visitor the whole stay. The staff was fabuous, Ita and Karoline serving us breakfast and lunch in our cottage and waiting on us at dinners in the 'big house' where we chose to dine with Spense, Karin and Schatzie the musk parrot, indigenous to Kadavu. He was such a kick, I love that bird!
We had our own dive gear with us and after diving it was thoroughly cleaned and dried. The only time I touched it was to put it on and then to pack it! We snorkeled the last day and Spense set us up with snorkel gear so our own booties & wetsuits would be dry and ready to be packed to leave. For not being a "dive resort", they had quite a bit of equipment to chose from and could have outfitted just about any one, one way or another. Spense was sort of a one man show when it came to tackling problems... he could fix anything. I had some problems with some of my own gear and he even fixed the dive bag the airlines had tried to destroy. The night before we were scheduled to leave, the villagers came to the resort and held a Meke in the main house, complete with ceremony, kava, music and dancing. By this time it felt like a family reunion! The Fijian people are so genuine, friendly and quick with smiles.
The next day Spense took us by boat to the Kadavu airport and insisted on staying with us until our flight came in at 1:00. We are so glad he did. At 1:00 we were told the plane would be there at 3:00. At 3:00 we were told the plane was not coming that day. After several conversations and phone calls orchestrated by Spense, we realized there would not be a plane there the next day in time to get us to Suva where our dive boat was to pick us up. We made the 90 minute trip back to the resort, spent another night there, another wonderful dinner, breakfast the next morning, then Spense took us the 55 miles, 2 hours and 45 minutes on the open sea over to the main island and Suva where we met with our buddies and the dive boat.
I can not say enough good things about this resort, Karin and Spense and the rest of the staff. What a remarkable relaxing time, even with the airline snafu we never felt panicked. All is well that ends well. When we find our way back to Fiji, I'm sure we'll be staying at this wonderful place with these fantastic people. Karin and Spense are hosts extraordinaire!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cayen5
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We have been there twice. Best place on Earth. Imagine - you are the ONLY guests. We spent most evenings sprawled on their leather couches drinking their wine, discussing whatever. We dove, we snorkeled, we fished. A good day was when we gave fish away and kept a bit for our seviche. I can't imagine a better place. Spence doesn't know this yet but we plan to invade them again when we pass through on a longer trip through Australia.

Deb and Brian

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debski63
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2011

There are some great things about Koromakawa, but we won't be going back. The Fijian staff are incredible and the location is beautiful. But it was not the private romantic retreat we were expecting and there was little alone-time away from the owners, an American couple named Spence and Karin, who we found overbearing and who were, on ocassion, downright rude to us.

We recently spent 5 nights at Koromakawa, (as well as 14 nights at another nearby resort).

One of the first things I noticed as we arrived at the resort was that they have a close neighbouring resort which shares beachfront. One of the main reasons we chose Koromakawa was the way the resort is promoted as being totally private with no neighbours and where you will be the only guests, with your own "private beach". Later, the owners of Koromakawa shared many details about their ongoing battle with their neighbours.

The guesthouse has fully screened windows and is well-sealed, so that few mosquitoes get inside, (although you are required to keep the doors closed at all times). It is on a platform accesible by a long stairway up above the yard and beach. The deck is visible from the owner's house and the staff quarters, and by anyone walking by in the yard, so is not very private. The "outdoor shower" was down a flight of stairs and not enclosed in any way, so is only appropriate for rinsing off after swimming. There is no covered outdoor area to use when raining, (fortunately it rained little). However the view from the deck and small plunge pool is gorgeous.

For the most part the food was delicious and well prepared, for example the NZ lamb we were served on our first night was out of this world. But I was surprised at the lack of fresh local ingredients: the one night we were served fish it was previously frozen, and the fruit consisted mainly of apples, pears and oranges. I told the owners I had been expecting more fresh tropical fruit and they did end up managing to get some papaya for me. The resort, unlike others in the area, does not grow their own food or regularly purchase it from local farmers, but imports most of its supplies and depends on an unreliable ferry for deliveries.

We went on 3 dives while at Koromakawa. Spence was an extremely cautious and safety-conscious dive master. Perhaps not everyone would find him overbearing, but I'm not sure anyone would find him relaxing either. The only BCD's they had were women's, so my boyfriend wore a ladies M/L, the largest size they had. My BCD did not work properly, it kept continuously filling with air, so it made for a very awkward dive. They were kind enough to not charge us for that dive however, and did fix the gear for the next day. The dive sites we were taken to were pretty but all looked the same (not the experience we'd had diving elsewhere on the Astrolabe Reef). We were told if we wanted to explore some of the dive sites furthur north that it would cost an extra $40 US on top of the usual $45 per person plus tax. I finished every dive (upon instructions to surface) with over 1000 psi of air in my tank. We were told (by Spence) that they are "not a dive resort".

It is admirable the steps that have been taken to try to make the resort "eco-friendly" by the use of solar and wind power, but the claim that generators are only used < 1 day a month did not match our experience. In fact, while we were there, the main "back-up" generator was broken and a smaller noisy generator seemed to be operating most days and evenings.

We did not get the chance to swim with the famous mantas. We had no expectations as we understand that manta rays are wild animals and their whereabouts cannot be predicted, but we think the statement on Koromakawa's website that "To date all of our guests have seen them [the mantas], snorkelled with them and were amazed they were in water no deeper than 20 feet," needs to be updated. We were told (by the owners) that we were the 5th group of guests to have not seen the mantas. The previous guests did not get to swim with the mantas either, and the last guest sighting was reportedly in Jan 2011.

We can understand how others felt that this was a 5-star resort and had a fun time there. The Fijian staff are nothing short of amazing. We really enjoyed spending time with them and they truly went out of their way to try to make us feel welcome. We also enjoyed our visit to the local village of Naqara. Fiji is a beautiful country, one of our favourites in the world. But we found it difficult to avoid spending a lot of time with the talkative resort owners and unfortunately, we did not get on well with them, which really affected our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Team-BatFish
koromakawa, Owner at Koromakawa Resort, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Like most resorts, we are driven to make the customers stay, the best possible. How we serve the customer via Fijian staff or our own efforts, my wife and I take full responsibility. Before the guest arrives, we ask they complete a simple questionnaire. Obviously, we certainly misunderstood their needs. Our guests come first, not us, unless safety is an issue which safety was an issue during their stay. As any reviewer on Trip Advisor can see our reviews are very good and it is for good reason.

Unfortunately, there are some points that require clarification and one issue totally overlooked by this couple, which seemed to set the stage. Since few people know us, we need to address each point made by this couple in their review.
• Close neighboring resort – the only resort close to us is over 1,500 feet or 5 football fields away from where the guesthouse is located. We are sorry for the misunderstanding.
• Yes, the guesthouse is fully screened for good reason, we live in the tropics. We suggest to all guests not to leave the doors open for obvious reasons.
• The outdoor shower is a rinsing shower to remove sand and salt.
• The deck at the guesthouse is located 20 ft above the grounds, 270+ feet from our quarters and 380+ ft from where the staff quarters are located. Neither the staff or us can see the guesthouse deck without some effort because of the brush and trees in between. Religions requiring the ultimate in privacy did not find this to be an issue.
• Our soil only permits certain herbs or vegetables. However, when the season is right we grow banana, passion fruit, papaya, pineapple and mango. Unfortunately, not all are fruits are ripe at the same time. We do buy locally when the local gardens are producing. We utilize every means possible to obtain fresh vegetables and fruits. This couple was given local and imported fruits and vegetables and we did run out of papayas during their stay, temporarily.
• Yes, we are and I am always concerned about the safety of our customers. We have both male and female BCD’s but we did not have his size. I did offer my BCD the next dive but he felt it was not necessary. Secondly, they are skilled divers and we discovered her BCD was inflating slowly. I offered to cancel the dive, but she said it was not a problem and could handle it. We completed the dive averaging 30ft without any complications, they were not charged. There seems to be a complaint about surfacing too early on dives. That decision to surface, unless safety is an issue is made by anyone in the dive. I did not force them to surface, it was their call. Usually, HE made the decision.
• This couple had been diving for 14 days in this area before coming to our resort, so we took them to sites at 10.7 miles from our resort, they had not seen. With no feedback we offered different sites but they were nearly 20 miles from the resort. The fee was additional $40 just to cover the gas, not per person or per tank.
• Yes, we do have redundant systems. Most of the resort is powered by solar and wind. Because our main generator did go out, we were forced to at times to use our backup generator. This occurred approximately two to three hours on days, solar and wind did not support resort needs. Yes it is loader than the main generator, but not close to the guesthouse.
• Yes, five customers over 6 years have not seen the Manta rays. At no time is the customer charged, no matter how many trips it takes to locate the Manta Rays. Sorry they were unable to see them, they are a very beautiful creature. Our website does not guarantee you will see them. Most of our customers have seen them, website corrected.
• No guest has to spend time with us, it is certainly not a requirement.

Final Note: The WOMEN only expressed her dissatisfaction, when it became necessary to pick them up via boat from the private island they had already enjoyed for 5 ½ hours. We had received a cyclone warning for Kadavu and thought it best to prepare our guests, staff and ourselves. My WIFE attempted to explain this fact to HER, but she did not share our concerns. We admit the weather was beautiful, but we needed to prepare should a cyclone develop. It did develop into a category three, but not in our area. We were fortunate for all concerned.
We obviously were not a good fit for them.
Owners/Directors
Shedd, Oregon
Reviewed 30 January 2011

If you want a truly unique experience in Fiji, Koromakawa is the place for you! My husband and I were looking for a place to stay for our first visit to Fiji where we could get our open water diver certification and experience Fiji in an “off the beaten path” kind of way. We wanted a truly unique experience, and, boy, did we find it! The owners, Karen and Spencer, are amazing hosts who leave no stone unturned in their effort to make your stay “off-the-chart” memorable and to pamper you in every way. Sounds great so far, right? Well, Koromakawa is not for everyone. It has only one guest house (bure), so if you like to be in a crowd of tourists on your vacation, this place is not for you. However, if you like the idea of gourmet meals served whenever you want in your bure, on the beach, or with the owners; if you like the idea of seven staff members available to take you fishing, to snorkel in secluded coves, to swim with manta rays, to visit local villages, or to dive on the reef, then this is the place to be! Did I mention that Koromakawa is located not more than 10 minutes from the feeding grounds for the manta rays and the famous Astrolabe Reef? It is truly heaven on earth.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu
Laucala Island Resort
Laucala Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Laucala Island

Been to Koromakawa Resort? Share your experiences!