“Most Amazing Honeymoon Destination”
Review of Koromakawa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ono Island
Koromakawa Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My husband and I went to Koromakawa for our honeymoon in November 2011. We had originally looked at an "over the water bungalow" in Fiji but after finding Koromakawa on the web we couldn't imagine going anywhere else. We certainly picked the best place for our honeymoon! The service was impeccable and everyone was so friendly and accommodating. The resort itself was absolutely breathtaking and far exceeded our expectations. It has since spoiled us for future vacations because I know no other trip will compare! The food was absolutely delicious. All the activities we did were amazing (hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming). I wish we could have stayed forever. We are already planning our next trip to Koromakawa! Thank you so much for a honeymoon beyond our wildest dreams!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa F

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My vacation was outstanding! There aren't really words to describe my stay at Koromakawa Resort. So I will try to break it down into key parts!
My room was beautifully decorated and very clean! The girls, Ita and Carolina kept the frig stocked with water, diet coke and of couse Bitters :) Also kept the cookie jar full at all times... which my waist line doesn't appreciate but I thought was fantastic!!! Yummy....
I had the most amazing view out of my window. Could see the sunrise from my bed! Another touch that I appreciated was having those little things in case you forgot anything... We tried not to use any of the extra items, but it was a relief to know it was there just incase!
The food that was prepared for us was exquiside! My taste buds were savoring everthing! As I love to cook, I can appreciate a good meal! From crepes and potato pancakes with lox! curry crab, lobster, shrimp and even pizza.... I was in heaven! The presentations were beautifully thought out and the taste was incredible.
Although we made several attempts to catch a fish we came up empty handed! But we enjoyed the beautiful scenary and company of our hosts! We did however almost catch a large Treveli (not sure if I spelled that right?) But he is down deep in the waters laughing at our attemp and probably still sporting that red and white lure! Even though we didn't catch anything we had lots of fish, which was awesome! I love fish!
Our island get aways we so much fun. To be silly to snorkel or lay out on your own private beach. I saw a large sea snake sunning himself in the rocks, loved seeing that. When we were ready Spencer and staff came to pick us up, but not until then.
I did some scuba diving when I was there. It was so incredible! I had been certified years before but wasn't able to really get into diving. But Spencer took his time with me and helped me regain the confidence and love for the sport! He is an excellent diver and I never felt as if I was in any danger. He takes great care in your safety and I appreciated that. We aren't all experienced divers!
The staff was so helpful and tons of fun! They took us on hikes to nearby villages, and helped us with the boat. Also jumped at the call of another volley ball game! That was so awesome to feel like you are just as important from the staff as well as your hosts! So many resorts do not permit the interaction between staff and guests, so happy that Karin and Spencer are not like that! I enjoyed every moment with the staff!
And finally Karin and Spencer are trully the best hosts! They take incredible time and effort to make your stay with them,is the ultimate vacation! Whoever goes there and is fortunate enough to stay, will know what I am talking about! Already I can feel Fiji calling, and know that I will only want to stay at Koromakawa Resort! Thank you for the best vacation ever!

Room Tip: Either of the rooms are fantastic! Depends on when you like to wake up. The back room is quieter and...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Three teenage boys (14, 16 and 17) and I began our 5-week trip to Fiji and Tonga by spending the first week at Koromakawa Resort. We should have saved Koromakawa for the last week, because nothing else can compare to Spence and Karin's unique resort and hospitality. Indeed, we WERE spoiled. Spence and two (of their seven) staff members met us immediately upon arrival at the airport in Vunisea, and then transferred us in Spencer's boat (the same one we later would use for diving) to Koromakawa, on Ono Island. We were treated with fresh fruit and cheese and crackers during the 90-minute boat ride. Spencer's enthusiasm for Kadavu, Ono, the Astrolabe Reef and the surrounding islands was contagious and kept us riveted to detail. Mrs. Kissler (Karin) and the other five staff members were waiting for us on the beach in front of the resort to greet us with Fijian welcome songs, a fresh coconut drink and warm hors d'oeuvres.

The (only) bure -- the one pictured on the website -- is nestled among tropical flowers, shrubs and trees, about 30 feet above the beach. One bedroom has both a king-sized and a single bed; the second bedroom has a superbly comfortable double. The bedrooms are connected by a large bathroom, with a central glass encased shower, which the boys thought was "awesome". Teenagers aren't known for quick showers, but Spencer's solar hot water system won the challenge. The bure itself is both cozy and cheery, and open on all four sides with expansive louvered (and screened) windows. Each room has a large ceiling fan, which was more than adequate for keeping us comfortable. "Eclectic" describes the tastefully appointed rooms in the bure (which is more like a luxurious cottage) as well as the furnishings in the Kissler's home.

Meal times were at the guests' leisure. Breakfast could be served out on the deck or in a nook within the living room. Brady (the youngest) wanted his eggs cooked (fried) somewhere between "dippy" and "over easy". (The kid and Karolina had such a serious discussion about cooking an egg!) I'm not sure of the difference, but Brady enjoyed exactly what he tried to describe the evening before. The meals were fantastic, varied, beautifully served, and always prepared to our liking. A week before our departure from the U.S., Spence sent an email saying that he and Karin had had no success locating (in Suva) a jar of mint jelly--which I had previously mentioned I like with lamb. However, by the time we arrived, mint jelly turned up on the Kissler's dining room table! Our evening meals--except for one--were served over in the Kissler's dining room, where we also took part in exciting and colorful meke and kava ceremonies. Dinner was served using Karin's family's heirloom china, crystal, candlelight--and great conversation. Elegant!

Although all of the meals were special, one in particular is unforgettable: Stephen's 17th birthday. Not too many boys from rural southwestern Pennsylvania will celebrate a 17th birthday in Fiji; I doubt any has had one as elaborate and distinctive. Karin, Karolina and Ita spent most of the afternoon decorating the thatched-roof table out on the bure's deck with tropical wildflowers, hibiscus and colorful croton leaves, not to mention dozens and dozens of candles. Steak and lobster. Karin's exquisite table setting. A Fijian serenade and "happy birthday". More music. And a bottle of champagne.

Scuba diving and snorkeling were excellent. (Incidentally, the water temperature was 81F in late June.) Spence went out of his way--way beyond the call of duty--to help Brady (the youngest) feel comfortable in the water. We dived with pilot whales and with manta rays on more than one occasion. The boys used kayaks to paddle up a small stream to a nearby school--then climbed UP to the top of a waterfall. One of the staff took us to the nearby island of Buliya so that we could attend Sunday morning church services. Late afternoons were spent playing beach volleyball with the staff and the Kisslers. Looking back, there was so much to do and not enough time. Note to myself: plan on two weeks next time.

The night before we departed, there was another kava ceremony, followed by singing and dancing in the Kissler's bure. Karin and Spence gave each of the boys a simple necklace, each with a single piece of polished coconut shell. I notice now that in all of the photos taken after we left Koromakawa, the boys were always wearing their prized possession. Four weeks later, at the Nuku'alofa airport, I found similar necklaces in the duty free shop. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a few more as replacements, as boys have a tendency to misplace things. All three declined my offer because, as Brady said, "They (the necklaces at the airport) wouldn't mean as much to me because this one--pointing to the one around his neck--was given to me by my friends." (heavy emphasis on the last word.)

The Kisslers are a world-class host and hostess. They and their staff ARE Koromakawa. When it came time to say our good-byes, Spence put an arm around me and thanked us "for sharing a week of your lives with Karin an me." He got it wrong.

Room Tip: Just go to Koromakawa. No further advice needed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Grant A
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Words cannot truly translate as to how we feel after staying with Spence and Karin at Koromakawa. This was our first trip to Fiji, and now I can’t imagine how we can go back to Fiji and not see them. They make you feel like you are a favorite relative that they haven’t seen in awhile. Even before we arrived, Spence kept saying, “get ready to be pampered!” I guess we just weren’t quite ready for what that all meant, but we did find out. And wow! From the very minute we arrived, Spence was waiting for us at the airport, ready to pick us up. And by the time we got to the resort, Karin was waiting on the beach with a big hug and singing with the rest of their lovely staff.
The food was incredible! Karin and Ita are wonderful cooks! Especially the lamb that was prepared for our arrival and Karin…that coffee ice cream dessert was amazing!! Karin paid close attention to detail as to our likes and dislikes, and prepared a menu that we really enjoyed. In fact we still miss that wonderful question at the end of the day by Karolina, “what time would you like breakfast?”
As for the diving, it was incredible as well. We are both divers, and Spencer is a very patient dive master. Darin took tons of pictures, and Spence just hung out until he was ready to move on. Which was very nice. Some dive masters seem to push the pace, and Spence went at our pace! And when we were ready to get back on the boat, Isikeli and Loro were there to help take our gear off. (Karin makes this outstanding hot chocolate for in between dives). If you get a little chilled on a dive, ask for it! Definitely worth it!
The mantas were outstanding! In fact, we tried to see them one day and they weren’t there. So the next day, Spence sent off Isakeli early in the morning, to find out if they were there. Which they were there! So we jumped in the boat to head out to see them before breakfast! It was very cool.
The island trip was unbelievable. In fact, if there were one thing we could change a bit about our trip, would be to spend more time on that island. We did a dive that morning, and little fishing. So by the time we got to the island, it was around 2pm. Make sure that you get a good amount of time there. It’s a cool experience.
Everything was pretty amazing, from the Kava ceremony, to the Meke! The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of hot water and water pressure.
If you do forget anything, they pretty much have that covered too. From bug spray, sunscreen, toothpaste, ECT.
So yes, I would highly recommend Koromakawa to anyone that wants to get away from it all! That wants to experience the true beauty that Fiji really is. Which is its people. Yes, Fiji is beautiful above and below the surface. But what makes it special for us, and I think many, is its people. And at Koromakawa, you get to experience that. And expand your family/circle of friends.
Vinaka Karin and Spence, and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My wife and I recently returned from our Honeymoon in Fiji and New Zealand. After staying in several fantastic resorts in the Yasawas, we capped our Honeymoon in Fiji at Koro Makawa. Our stay with Spence and Karin, the owners, EASILY(!!!) marked the highpoint of our entire trip. I can only hope we'll come across another resort half as wonderful as Koro Makawa in our future: the well maintained grounds, Ono and other nearby lush and still virgin islands [this region in Fiji's last frontier], our well appointed and very private bure, Fijian dance provided by the nearby village, our kava ceremony, a delicious lovo prepared especially for us, romance on top of romance (including the most romantic dinner of our lives), frequent Fijian music and singing, a delightful 'Cast Away' lunch on a private beach, the pristine and biologically diverse reef, a swim with manta rays, the friendly and professional staff, the delicious 'foodie quality' meals, and our time spent with Karin and Spencer made memories that'll last a lifetime. Unlike any resort we've enjoyed in the past, our trip was highly personalized including the activities, food, etc that we decided to enjoy (or avoid). If we had any desires, we only had to ask. We lacked nothing and were teary to have to leave. Karin and Spencer are truly exceptional, masters of the service industry, and all-around delightful, intelligent, and interesting people. They are detail-oriented and genuinely want to make sure you have an amazing time. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer than four nights. We sincerely hope to return for- perhaps- an anniversary. Put simply, if you're in Fiji and don't stay at Koro Makawa, I'm sorry.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Every year we do a live aboard dive boat with a group of divers to some far off, exotic location. Always fun seeing our dive buddies this one time each year, we still like a little time to ourselves to see which ever country we have chosen. This year our dive group was meeting in Fiji for our 10 days of live aboard diving so we chose Koromakawa Resort as a place to unwind before the somewhat hectic dive schedule of the live aboard. Unwind we did! We booked the lone guest cottage at the resort for 5 nights. Spense sent us some questions to answer as to what we wanted to eat, what we might like to do, if we wanted to dive etc. Being somewhat organizationally challanged, I was shooting questions off as they came to me instead of in one nice neat e-mail. I was pleased when each e-mail was answered in less than 24 hours, even one last minute question sent out a day before our departure!
After a very long day of travel, we were greeted at the airport in Kadavu by Spense and Isikelly and loaded into the boat for the 90 minute ride to Ono Island. Pac Sun had changed their flight schedule from when we originally booked the trip and we arrived so late in the day that it was dark by the time we arrived at the resort. We were met on the beach by Spense's wife Karin and several of the staff with lights, singing Fijian greetings and making us feel welcome. We were shown to our lodging, a beautifully furnished 2 bedroom cottage with more comforts than I have at home. We were asked what time and where we would like to eat, and given some space to rest and freshen up. Dinner was superb. After a good nights sleep we started our 'unwinding'. No schedules, no pressures, just fun and relaxation. We dove 2 of the days on the beautiful Astrolabe reef, snorkeled with the mantas, we fished (and actully caught fish) on our boating trips, walked with Nui to the village where the staff is from, visited the school, spent time with the children, were invited into the home of Ala, one of the Fijian ladies living in the village and also invited by the chief into his home. We asked Karin to come with us when she wasn't busy; she had so much local knowledge and was so fun to talk to and be with. We never saw another tourist or island visitor the whole stay. The staff was fabuous, Ita and Karoline serving us breakfast and lunch in our cottage and waiting on us at dinners in the 'big house' where we chose to dine with Spense, Karin and Schatzie the musk parrot, indigenous to Kadavu. He was such a kick, I love that bird!
We had our own dive gear with us and after diving it was thoroughly cleaned and dried. The only time I touched it was to put it on and then to pack it! We snorkeled the last day and Spense set us up with snorkel gear so our own booties & wetsuits would be dry and ready to be packed to leave. For not being a "dive resort", they had quite a bit of equipment to chose from and could have outfitted just about any one, one way or another. Spense was sort of a one man show when it came to tackling problems... he could fix anything. I had some problems with some of my own gear and he even fixed the dive bag the airlines had tried to destroy. The night before we were scheduled to leave, the villagers came to the resort and held a Meke in the main house, complete with ceremony, kava, music and dancing. By this time it felt like a family reunion! The Fijian people are so genuine, friendly and quick with smiles.
The next day Spense took us by boat to the Kadavu airport and insisted on staying with us until our flight came in at 1:00. We are so glad he did. At 1:00 we were told the plane would be there at 3:00. At 3:00 we were told the plane was not coming that day. After several conversations and phone calls orchestrated by Spense, we realized there would not be a plane there the next day in time to get us to Suva where our dive boat was to pick us up. We made the 90 minute trip back to the resort, spent another night there, another wonderful dinner, breakfast the next morning, then Spense took us the 55 miles, 2 hours and 45 minutes on the open sea over to the main island and Suva where we met with our buddies and the dive boat.
I can not say enough good things about this resort, Karin and Spense and the rest of the staff. What a remarkable relaxing time, even with the airline snafu we never felt panicked. All is well that ends well. When we find our way back to Fiji, I'm sure we'll be staying at this wonderful place with these fantastic people. Karin and Spense are hosts extraordinaire!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cayen5
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We have been there twice. Best place on Earth. Imagine - you are the ONLY guests. We spent most evenings sprawled on their leather couches drinking their wine, discussing whatever. We dove, we snorkeled, we fished. A good day was when we gave fish away and kept a bit for our seviche. I can't imagine a better place. Spence doesn't know this yet but we plan to invade them again when we pass through on a longer trip through Australia.

Deb and Brian

Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort

Been to Koromakawa Resort? Share your experiences!