“Fifth trip to Koromakawa - Why we keep returning”
Review of Koromakawa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ono Island
Koromakawa Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Let me start this review by saying I am NOT a sun, sand and beach kinda guy. Oh, I like the water to fish, but forget relaxing on the beach or next to a pool. So, when I promised my wife she could go anywhere in the world for her 40th birthday, I figured it would be some all inclusive beach resort. "Just go and get it over with, I thought" She chose Fiji.....where the resorts are definitely all inclusive but so much more!

That was in 2006 and what a ride it's been to that small faraway island nation. Six international airplane rides to be exact. My wife has written the reviews for five of the trips. I guess it's time for me to talk about our adventures at Koromakawa Resort starting in 2010.

In September, we made our fourth trip to Ono Island and to the resort owned by Spence and Karin Kissler. Yep, fourth time, fourth year in a row! Why do we go back? Because it is the only place we have ever been where we can leave it all behind. And that's just how we like it. There is no TV, or wifi to speak of. There is no traffic, no shopping. There is no laundry to wash, yard to mow. There is no pollution, no neighborhood noise. No shirt, no shoes, no problem. That is our perfect prescription.....paradise.

I HAVE to relax. My style is hopping into the kayak and fish for hours, only stopping to bring in the occasional fish I get on my line and to grab a Fiji Bitter. I Get to eat and there are too many favorites made by Karolina, Nani and Karen to mention. Karolina and Karin did cook the fish I brought in many nights as appetizers. I LOVE to sleep and the breezes blowing into the beachfront bure lulled me to sleep at night and many late afternoons for naps.

The beauty is indescribable. The staff amazing. The hosts are the most accommodating you'll ever meet. Spence and Karin welcome you into their home and make you feel like one of their own. From walks on the beach, visits to villages, lunch on a private beach, snorkeling and fishing.....these eight weeks in the past four years at Koromakawa have been some of the best of our lives!

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank melrick

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband Mike and I have just returned from eight wonderful days at Koromakawa resort. We are divers, have been to the Great Astrolabe Reef before, loved it, and wanted to see it again. Magic!

Accommodation and Food. We were the only people staying at the resort; we were pampered by Spence, Karin, and their six Fijian staff. The bure is spacious and peaceful. We chose to have breakfast and lunch there, and chatted over dinner with Spence and Karin in the main house. The food was great: I eat no meat, and prefer low-carb, which was not a problem. Thank you Karin!

Diving. When we last were at this reef I made up a dive sign for Awesome! because the usual ok sign no way sufficed. Spence chose different dive sites each day, and I got to use my Awesome! sign a lot. With just three of us diving each time, we were able to stop and look as we went along. I love the soft coral on the roof of the swim-throughs, diving through canyons, and saying Hi to nemos, so I did lots of that. We've been to many different reefs, but this is my favourite. I found that the cost of diving here is cheap by comparison with other resorts, the equipment good, and no hidden costs to surprise me on the bill at the end.

Snorkeling. We did several snorkels, to the reef and on the house reef. Unlike all previous resorts, snorkeling was free. On one blissful late afternoon in The Park we swam with two large eagle rays and four white-tipped reef sharks. A huge Napoleon wrasse surprised us. It would have been fun to see mantas, but they seem not to be around just now. If this is a main consideration, it's probably worth checking with Spence whether they have come back into the area.

Of course we'll go again. Asap. Spence, Karin and their staff provided us with an unforgettable experience and we are so grateful for their genuine kindness. It was Such Fun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Koromakawa - in Fiji means "old village" - to us it means "Romance beyond our Dreams"....

The romance this beautiful paradise exudes is contributed to by so many elements.
From the moment we stepped off the plane and were welcomed by Spence, the boat ride passing many beautiful islands to the Resort, and then to be greeted with happy smiles and waves from Karin and the crew, that we were so lucky to get to know so well.

Spencer and Karin have succeeded in building and creating a romantic "Paradise" beyond expectations. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing, yet fun place, to spend our Honeymoon, and that is EXACTLY what we found. We were treated like a King and a Queen being waited on happily by everyone, yet at the same time enjoying many fun times interacting with the staff, who very quickly became our friends.

Having some tricky dietary requirements, Karin excelled in ensuring that I was well looked after with some of the most tasty and wonderful gourmet foods we have eaten served for brekky, lunch and dinner. Even providing our favourite wines at dinner, which was enjoyed with good conversation and laughs in the main house that Karin and Spence opened up to us. Every night we had something different to look forward to - and not just with the food - but also entertainment. We felt extremely special and spoilt.

Having, (at Spence's recommendation), obtained my 'Confined Water Diving Certification' before arriving at the Resort, Spence then instructed me in the beautiful prestine waters only 10 minutes off shore, to achieve my 'Open Water Certification'. With a fantastic location and instructor...... Another dream came true! - and the romance was yet again highlighted by experiencing and sharing the amazing underwater world and beauty with my husband.

Our villa accommodation was impeccably clean, opulent and extremely comfortable. The little touches of fresh flowers, water and home-baked chocolate chip cookies renewed daily, to basics like supplying extra sunscreen, mozzie repellent to even the forgotten razor were supplied.

The beach and surrounding gardens were just gorgeous and so clean and the romance was again shown by taking us to a beautiful private beach with picnic lunch and a bottle of wine supplied where we did some stunning coral snorkelling.

We had taken some pencils, textas and books for the school children in the local village and the opportunity of meeting them was yet another experience that will not be forgotten. The smiles on their little faces and the songs they sang for US was yet another overwhelming experience.

There is nothing, that Karin and Spence and the team of Koralina, Nani, Josie, Sikelli, Marlie and Melli wouldn't do to make our stay exceptional and forever memorable. We miss all your smiles and contagious laughs every day and hope to see you all again next year.

We highly recommend Koromakawa Resort, if you are looking for a holiday break or Honeymoon in a Paradise away from the crowds - then this is it. You can do as much or as little as you want - so please take the time to view our pics to try and get an idea of how beautiful this place is.

To Karin and Spence - the biggest VINAKA we can express and pass on our HUBBA HUBBA to Koralina and the crew:-)

Love you all..
Lisa and Rockin Rod (Bonlin)

Room Tip: you have the choice of 2 king size beds - they are yours alone.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Koromakawa Resort represents the best that Fiji has to offer - beautiful beaches, comfortable accommodations, delicious foods, exceptional staff, and a relaxing atmosphere.

Of course you go to Fiji for the beaches and water, so I will start there first. As we approached the resort in the boat, I could already tell we had reached a paradise unlike any I had ever seen before. There were no other boats around for miles as we approached. The only people on the beach were the small staff. (We did see another resort down the beach, but it was a short walk away and we never saw anyone from that resort the entire week that we were there.) The beach was clean with beautiful trees and flowers all around.

Koromakawa is not what I would consider a "family" resort, but the owners made an exception for us since my sister and brother-in-law have stayed with them numerous times. (I understand that they do make that exception on occasions for others too.) The beach was wonderful. My 8 yr old son would wake up at 6am wanting to play on the beach, and I felt comfortable letting him go down by himself (something I would never do at a busy resort). I could see him from the deck of our cabin and there was always staff about in the morning cleaning the beach, putting out chairs, etc... The staff always would stop and talk with him, chase a few crabs around the beach with him, and then head on their way.

Speaking of the staff and the kids - they did so much to make the week interesting for both boys. From crabbing on the beach with Ulita (where we saw blue starfish, sting rays, sea cucumbers, and more) to going out crabbing in the woods with Mele (where they dug for crabs under rocks and logs) to a treasure hunt through the woods with Spence, there was always something for the kids to do.

I never thought I would say it was wonderful to have a week without a car, but when you are at Koromakawa, it is wonderful. No motorcycles zooming through the neighborhood. No stinky car exhaust. No traffic jams. The only way on and out of the resort is on a boat, so be prepared to wade out to it when you want to go someplace. But once you are on the boat, be prepared for a relaxing and peaceful commute. The ocean around Koromakawa is filled with coral, so travel needs to be planned around the tides. I was impressed daily by the skills of the resorts boatsman, Sikeli and Spence, and how they took the time and care to miss the coral. They did this for the safety of their boat, but even more for the safety of the coral.

Spend a day with Spence and Karin, and you will see how much they care about the oceans and coral surrounding their resort. The day we went snorkeling to the Great Astrolabe Reef, they actually took 1 staff for each person we took snorkeling. They stayed with us, helping us to not drift into the reefs. But also, as a mother, it was very reassuring. I could enjoy the reef without having to constantly worry about the boys and their safety. And when my youngest was ready to get out, I did not have to get out of the water, one of the guys just took him under his arm and swam him back to the boat.

The cabin, or burre, was comfortable and spacious. It has 2 king size bedrooms. And our room had room to put 2 twin beds in besides. And we were not tripping all over them. Tons of room still. I was prepared for cold showers with so many people in the unit, but the water is heated on demand, so we always had hot showers. Clean. Pretty much bug free. But we did have a lizard one evening, much to the children's delight! Spacious deck with a small pool on it.

The food was amazing. Karin and Karolina outdid themselves. Fresh fruit and homemade breads accompanied each breakfast entrée. We especially loved the German Apple Pancakes. Lunch was generally soup/sandwiches/salads. Our favorite dinners were the Tuna, Lamb Chops and Roasted Pork at the Meke.

The only negative on the food that I can say is we did not have enough fresh fish. My brother-in-law caught fish each day and it would have been nice to have had it fresh in the evenings. We probably should have asked more for it, but we kind of assumed they would know that we wanted to enjoy his catch, if even for an appetizer or small piece on the side of what they had already planned for dinner.

The staff made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped onto the island. As I mentioned, they were great with the kids. And they were also nice with us. They did not invade our space and privacy, but anytime we greeted them and started a conversation with them, they would stop and talk with us. They are very open and willing to answer any questions you have about their life, family, or Fiji. If we asked for anything, they did their best to get it for us.

They helped to arrange many experiences that we will remember for a lifetime. Karin and Spence knew of our religious beliefs and arranged for a staff member to take us to her home village and church. While there, we enjoyed a traditional Fijian lunch with her brother's family and then spent a few hours visiting in the village and learning more about life in Fiji. They also arranged for us to visit 2 different schools (we had brought a suitcase full of toys, gift and books for the kids).

The final night, they planned a Meke (celebreation) for our family. A local village came and sang to us, danced, and had a traditional warrior dance troupe perform. It was a night that we will always remember. Plus there was a full moon that night, so some great photos from the deck of the moon over the water.

We spent the final day of our trip to Fiji in Nadi. If Nadi was what Fiji was, I would tell everyone to save the money and time and head to Mexico. Nadi was nasty, dirty, poor customer service, touristy.... then again, I has just spent a week in paradise and Koromakawa, so my view of Nadi might have been a little skewed.

If you want to experience the true heart of Fiji - the islands, the water, the Fijian people - then you need to plan a trip to Koromakawa. It is well worth the trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank flkrsn
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Wow! What a fantastic place! We wanted to learn to scuba dive under private instruction, and this was the best place we could have chosen. Spence and Karin are superb hosts/hostesses and have a fabulous staff. They have built the place themselves and it is lovely! We had our own private home, were served gourmet breakfasts and lunches either inside, on the deck or on the beach- it was our choice. Wonderful dinners with our hosts in the evening, and even a surprise romantic dinner with a thousand candles! It was divine. If you are looking for nightlife and action, this is NOT the place, but if you want a private, relaxing retreat, this IS the place. The diving was spectacular, and Spence was a super patient instructor who took us at our own pace and made us feel super comfortable. We didn't want to leave!! and hope to go back before too long. Thank you AGAIN Spence and Karin!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2013

As soon as you land in this beautiful lush resort you know you have made the best holidaying choice of your life! There are no pictures that do this resort enough justice.... the surroundings are pristine and the accommodation is beyond comparison.

my partner and I choose this resort as our honeymoon location and we will relive the tales and memories we shared here for the rest of our lives. the owners and staff feel like family that we miss everyday since leaving paradise. saying to each other "we could be in fiji!" has become a common event in our household.

there is not one fault with this resort, everything is A+++ and you will be treated like a king or queen. the only thing we regret is not hiding on the morning of our depature so that we would miss our flight and could spend another night here.

we will be doing everything in our power to return some day.....

THANK YOU, Karin, Spence and the wholes team!!!

Room Tip: There is one bungalow with 2 rooms....... I'd pick the water view, the sound of the waves crashi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had the most amazing vacation of a lifetime!!!! This resort is 5 star in terms of luxury, service, privacy and location!!! Everything was picture perfect from the day we got there and the owners ( Karin and Spence) and the staff were the most hospitable lovely people we have met. We were spoiled with scrumptious exotic cuisine at every meal and everything was taken care of. The tours, sightseeing, snorkeling, picnic on deserted island and other activities were so perfectly organized.. We loved every minute of this vacation!!! We definitely will visit again soon!!!
Springfield, IL

Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort

Been to Koromakawa Resort? Share your experiences!