“Honeymoon perfection”
Review of Koromakawa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ono Island
Koromakawa Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Koromakawa resort is amazing. Spencer, Karin, and the staff are wonderful people that it was a pleasure to get to know. The accommodations are very spacious, clean, and have just about anything you could need while traveling. There were fresh flowers in the room every day, beautiful views, and delicious meals. You're crazy if you think this is just an average resort.

There are plenty of things to do - snorkeling, kayaking, diving, swimming with the manta rays, picnic on a nearby island, or just relaxing on the beach and reading. Along with all this there were special dinners, authentic Fijian ceremonies, and trips to nearby villages.

It is truly a special place and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms in the guest house and you can choose either because you have the whole gue...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan K

Reviewed 25 May 2014

It is a really fantastic experience staying in Koromakawa ,I come along with my old parents and it is the first time the whole family fly to this country and spend a whole week in there. Even we landed in the local in the morning from Hong Kong and we also transfer the flight to Kadavu ,but once we are there ,we are really surprised that Spencer and Karin are so welcome of us ,and the most important it is that "only our family in the resort " ,it is an unique experience. We know we can been to many other resorts in Fiji or in other countries (such as Bali , Thailand) but it is the people there who make our stay unforgotten even wonderful. My old parents are so happy with the rooms ,the sea view and the food ,but we still remember the welcoming party and the freeware party that the local villagers come sing and dance ,and the Kava ,also we have been to Spencer's friend birthday party ,been to the local villages to see children and schools ,even i have spent evenings sitting together with local people to hear their singing and playing guitar ,share their life stories ---. Also My dad and mum is so excited to see Spencer and Karin prepared a candle dinner for my dad and mum ,which is the first time in their life and they will never image they could have something like that in their life , in a place which is far away from China. I think the travel to here ,it is not only the beautiful sea view and beach there ,but the most important it is the people there ,not only Spencer and Karin ,but also those lovely boys and girls even the villagers ,we really missed that .Thank you so much , Koromakawa which gave myself and my family a wonderful experience and memory . We will all miss you from China ~~

My Dad wrote a Chinese blog on our travel in Fiji ,so you can read Chinese, then please see this article below

Room Tip: face with the sea view ,quite and nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Koromakawa is a one-bungalow resort so perfect for honeymooners as wel as others who would like to see the true Fiji. Bungalow is massive with a great view to the sea and the bushes above if you are into looking at those instead. Accomodation is great with the only "but" being fixed a bit too low for a 1,90m tall person.

Food is amazing with nice compositions, good fantasy ranging from Lobster Salad to perfectly cooked steaks. There are fruit plants on the resort, but unfortunately we did not time those - better luck to us next time. Service is also explicit as you are alone at the resort and you can steer it in the direction you wish. Want to be alone? Say so and noone will bother you. Need some extra attention - tell them and the staff or owners will ask you if you need anything regularly.

Location of Koromakawa is also great with very little traffic. There are no roads and the only boat traffic is the locals giving their children a ride to school or the diving resort which is the closest neighbor. The low tide is massive and the shallow waters makes swimming challenging.

The best activity is without a doubt snorkling and diving in the clear and rich waters. Spencer, also being a PADI instructor does a perfect job certifying for open water diver while Karin keps frozen divers warm with her hot chocolate - yummie! We were unlucky to have an anchoring boat close to the manta cleaning station so we unfortunately missed those.

The staff are very fun and nice people as well singing at night at their quarters drinking Cava. We had many laughs with them.

I would like to end with thanking Spence and Karin for making this such a wonderful place. Your personality have really spilled over on Mekele and the other guys in the staff who are as wonderful, just a bit better singers! Again - thank you guys and Lena and I hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

In March, 2014, my husband and I went to Koromakawa Resort for our honeymoon. He planned it as a surprise for me, and it far surpassed anything I was imagining/guessing in my head :)

Spencer and Karen (a retired couple from the US that own the resort) and the 5 staff were SO welcoming and friendly and made us both feel so relaxed and at ease instantly. They thought of everything right down to the tiniest details! The Fijian staff were so happy, smiley and so chilled all the time....they are VERY friendly islanders.

The food was seriously 4-5 star, every meal, every day. They ask you what you would like to eat and at what time which is so lovely to be able to just have meals whenever it suits you, every meal was always absolutely amazing and always presented beautifully! I am gluten and diary intolerant which my husband had given them a heads up about and they catered for me so meticulously!!! There gluten/diary free food was to die for, you could in no way tell it was gluten diary free and it made my holiday sooo much better due to the fact that I never got sick!
Every night we walked over to Spencer and Karen's house (it is a nice distance away so that you feel very private in your own bungalow) and had dinner with them. We so enjoyed have a great long chat with them every night, they are a very amazing, talented couple, and it was a joy to be able to hear all about how they started the resort and all the different things they have done, we very much enjoyed spending the evenings with them, they made us feel very special!!
One night they set up such a beautiful romantic candle lit dinner (they sat elsewhere) for us, it was so beautiful, the food was amazing and the staff waited on us so perfectly, it was a very thoughtful gesture of them which will never be forgotten!

Spencer, Karen, and the staff were always there 24/7 to do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted :) They were always so willing and wanting to make our stay as amazing as possible, which they did! We went fishing and snorkeling which was such a fun experience. The snorkeling was truly magical...the coral and fish were so vividly bright and colourful. Picnic Island was a delight (they drop you off on this beautiful island all to yours selves with a picnic packed for as long as you like). The beaches on this island looked like those beaches you see in a magazine, white sand crystal clear blue water and tall palm trees over hanging the beach....you could swim just 3-4 meters off the shore and be swimming above beautiful coral with tons of amazing fish!

Our bungalow was so perfect! Huge double bed with a great view overlooking the gardens and the ocean, lovely spacious bathroom and lounge room (plus another bedroom). The Fijian ladies came in while we were out, cleaned all the rooms up, did our washing and restocked our fridge every day, plus while we were having dinner with Spencer and Karen they came in turned back our covers on our bed put chocolates on it,closed our windows for us and lit our candles! We had a own delightful private plunge pool that was spring fed from fresh water so it was a beautiful temperature and free from chemicals. It was so nice to be able to just step out our door and cool off every day :)

After our week was up we in NO way wanted to go home! We could of stayed there for AGES! It was so lovely to be able to just relax in peace and forget all the craziness of life back at home....we enjoyed our stay immensely and want to thank Spencer and Karen and the staff for making our stay as incredible as it was...we would definitely recommend (and already have :)) this resort to all our family and friends and really really want to return to Koromakawa Resort one day....hopefully soon :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Let me start this review by saying I am NOT a sun, sand and beach kinda guy. Oh, I like the water to fish, but forget relaxing on the beach or next to a pool. So, when I promised my wife she could go anywhere in the world for her 40th birthday, I figured it would be some all inclusive beach resort. "Just go and get it over with, I thought" She chose Fiji.....where the resorts are definitely all inclusive but so much more!

That was in 2006 and what a ride it's been to that small faraway island nation. Six international airplane rides to be exact. My wife has written the reviews for five of the trips. I guess it's time for me to talk about our adventures at Koromakawa Resort starting in 2010.

In September, we made our fourth trip to Ono Island and to the resort owned by Spence and Karin Kissler. Yep, fourth time, fourth year in a row! Why do we go back? Because it is the only place we have ever been where we can leave it all behind. And that's just how we like it. There is no TV, or wifi to speak of. There is no traffic, no shopping. There is no laundry to wash, yard to mow. There is no pollution, no neighborhood noise. No shirt, no shoes, no problem. That is our perfect prescription.....paradise.

I HAVE to relax. My style is hopping into the kayak and fish for hours, only stopping to bring in the occasional fish I get on my line and to grab a Fiji Bitter. I Get to eat and there are too many favorites made by Karolina, Nani and Karen to mention. Karolina and Karin did cook the fish I brought in many nights as appetizers. I LOVE to sleep and the breezes blowing into the beachfront bure lulled me to sleep at night and many late afternoons for naps.

The beauty is indescribable. The staff amazing. The hosts are the most accommodating you'll ever meet. Spence and Karin welcome you into their home and make you feel like one of their own. From walks on the beach, visits to villages, lunch on a private beach, snorkeling and fishing.....these eight weeks in the past four years at Koromakawa have been some of the best of our lives!

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank melrick
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband Mike and I have just returned from eight wonderful days at Koromakawa resort. We are divers, have been to the Great Astrolabe Reef before, loved it, and wanted to see it again. Magic!

Accommodation and Food. We were the only people staying at the resort; we were pampered by Spence, Karin, and their six Fijian staff. The bure is spacious and peaceful. We chose to have breakfast and lunch there, and chatted over dinner with Spence and Karin in the main house. The food was great: I eat no meat, and prefer low-carb, which was not a problem. Thank you Karin!

Diving. When we last were at this reef I made up a dive sign for Awesome! because the usual ok sign no way sufficed. Spence chose different dive sites each day, and I got to use my Awesome! sign a lot. With just three of us diving each time, we were able to stop and look as we went along. I love the soft coral on the roof of the swim-throughs, diving through canyons, and saying Hi to nemos, so I did lots of that. We've been to many different reefs, but this is my favourite. I found that the cost of diving here is cheap by comparison with other resorts, the equipment good, and no hidden costs to surprise me on the bill at the end.

Snorkeling. We did several snorkels, to the reef and on the house reef. Unlike all previous resorts, snorkeling was free. On one blissful late afternoon in The Park we swam with two large eagle rays and four white-tipped reef sharks. A huge Napoleon wrasse surprised us. It would have been fun to see mantas, but they seem not to be around just now. If this is a main consideration, it's probably worth checking with Spence whether they have come back into the area.

Of course we'll go again. Asap. Spence, Karin and their staff provided us with an unforgettable experience and we are so grateful for their genuine kindness. It was Such Fun!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Koromakawa - in Fiji means "old village" - to us it means "Romance beyond our Dreams"....

The romance this beautiful paradise exudes is contributed to by so many elements.
From the moment we stepped off the plane and were welcomed by Spence, the boat ride passing many beautiful islands to the Resort, and then to be greeted with happy smiles and waves from Karin and the crew, that we were so lucky to get to know so well.

Spencer and Karin have succeeded in building and creating a romantic "Paradise" beyond expectations. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing, yet fun place, to spend our Honeymoon, and that is EXACTLY what we found. We were treated like a King and a Queen being waited on happily by everyone, yet at the same time enjoying many fun times interacting with the staff, who very quickly became our friends.

Having some tricky dietary requirements, Karin excelled in ensuring that I was well looked after with some of the most tasty and wonderful gourmet foods we have eaten served for brekky, lunch and dinner. Even providing our favourite wines at dinner, which was enjoyed with good conversation and laughs in the main house that Karin and Spence opened up to us. Every night we had something different to look forward to - and not just with the food - but also entertainment. We felt extremely special and spoilt.

Having, (at Spence's recommendation), obtained my 'Confined Water Diving Certification' before arriving at the Resort, Spence then instructed me in the beautiful prestine waters only 10 minutes off shore, to achieve my 'Open Water Certification'. With a fantastic location and instructor...... Another dream came true! - and the romance was yet again highlighted by experiencing and sharing the amazing underwater world and beauty with my husband.

Our villa accommodation was impeccably clean, opulent and extremely comfortable. The little touches of fresh flowers, water and home-baked chocolate chip cookies renewed daily, to basics like supplying extra sunscreen, mozzie repellent to even the forgotten razor were supplied.

The beach and surrounding gardens were just gorgeous and so clean and the romance was again shown by taking us to a beautiful private beach with picnic lunch and a bottle of wine supplied where we did some stunning coral snorkelling.

We had taken some pencils, textas and books for the school children in the local village and the opportunity of meeting them was yet another experience that will not be forgotten. The smiles on their little faces and the songs they sang for US was yet another overwhelming experience.

There is nothing, that Karin and Spence and the team of Koralina, Nani, Josie, Sikelli, Marlie and Melli wouldn't do to make our stay exceptional and forever memorable. We miss all your smiles and contagious laughs every day and hope to see you all again next year.

We highly recommend Koromakawa Resort, if you are looking for a holiday break or Honeymoon in a Paradise away from the crowds - then this is it. You can do as much or as little as you want - so please take the time to view our pics to try and get an idea of how beautiful this place is.

To Karin and Spence - the biggest VINAKA we can express and pass on our HUBBA HUBBA to Koralina and the crew:-)

Love you all..
Lisa and Rockin Rod (Bonlin)

Room Tip: you have the choice of 2 king size beds - they are yours alone.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ono Island
Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort
Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort

Been to Koromakawa Resort? Share your experiences!