“Amazing! Perfect in every way!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oneta Resort

Oneta Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Garberville, California
“Amazing! Perfect in every way!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

8 days in total paradise! I had been dreaming of a Fiji vacation for 20 years, and I knew that finding the right place was going to be a key to finally fulfilling my "dream" vacation. After much time and research I found Oneta Resort on Ono Island and felt that it had everything to make a perfect get-a-way. I was right! The buree was a perfect combo. of modern amenities, and Fijian style. The outdoor shower was amazing, I loved staring at the coconut trees while showering the sand off. We had flower arrangements in our room, even on our bed! The breeze off the ocean kept us cool as it came through the screened windows, and waking up to the sunrise over the ocean was fabulous! The food was amazing, and super yummy! I looked forward to each meal to see what we would be having. It was great to enjoy so many fruits, veggies, and meat that were caught, picked and raised right there. The special fish, crab, and lamb BBQ was one to go down in the history books. To make it all possible, and to top it all off, was the incredible, amazing, and super friendly staff! Piero and Vuli were the best host and hostess. They made sure that they were there to give us ideas of things, and places to go. They helped arrange scuba diving trips and other excursions, and wonderful massages too. Everyone that worked there was friendly and helpful, ensuring that we got whatever we needed/wanted between boats drop offs, an extra blanket, coffee at the buree, 2nds on dessert, etc. We really felt they were there to ensure that we had a wonderful stay! If you're looking for a quiet place to relax, and experience true Fijian hospitality than this is the place!! Thank you Piero and Vuli for making my dreams come true!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mmhobbs4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Garberville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I just got home from our dream vacation to the Fiji Islands. Piero, Vuli and the entire staff at Oneta Resort made our stay unforgettable. The Resort was very clean and the grounds were well kept. Oneta Resort worked hard to give every guest special attention to meet their needs and desires. The kitchen staff produced some of the finest meals that I have ever experienced while on vacation. It was very apparent that every meal was painstakingly prepared using as much fresh and homemade ingredients as possible. While staying at Oneta Resort, Piero and Vuli helped arrange SCUBA trips, massages, sailing adventures and kayak trips. My wife and I especially enjoyed talking to the staff about Fijian history and culture, and our long talks with Piero in the dining burre. We will never forget this trip, and we recommend this Resort to anyone wanting the real Fiji.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marty H
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

After dreaming of a Fiji Vacation for .... oh lets just say a loooong time, I finally decided it was time. I carefully selected two regions to visit: the Kadavu area, and the Yasawas. Oneta Resort on Ono Island was the obvious choice for the Kadavu/Ono area. So in March, I packed my bags.....and my husband's bags.....and my daughters bags...and we headed to my ultimate dream destination (entirely over-packed, by the way)!

I just KNEW Oneta was going to be perfect, for me. I wanted a more traditional south pacific experience. No offense to Hilton Hotels, but THAT wasn't even close to my dream Fijian experience. I came looking for Fiji's incredible natural beauty, a comfy thatched bure, traditional culture, pristine diving in colorful coral gardens with thousands of fish, a chance to spot a Kadavu parrot, and of course, I wanted to catch a GT !!

My husband....well, lets just say he's not a tropical island vacationing kind of guy. I wasn't so sure if his interpretation of Ono Island was going to be anything like mine, but hey, I let him tag along anyway !!

Our daughter....she is up for any adventure. She is a diver, an explorer, a really fun little lady with a twinkle in her eye as she looks for her next "friend." But she's also a teenager (13)....who likes to hang out with other teenagers, and cell phones.. I knew she would love Oneta...for a day or two. Wasn't sure if several days at this isolated tropical heaven would be "heavenly" for her.

Our stay at Oneta Resort was...Spectacular! Perfect! The staff was absolutely wonderful! The Gen Mgr Simeli was organized, fun, smiling, giggling, and an awesome person. Tom...what a hoot! Shaz was so welcoming and kind. Our daughter took to her immediately. They formed a friendship right away, easing all of my concerns about having a bored teen on my dream vacation. Really, the entire staff was so nice, and fun, and genuine...it was like we were all on vacation together!

The food was fabulous...I still think about the Coconut Cheesecake...and the lemonade...(how weird is that? I'm craving Oneta Lemonade!) One night we had a feast...a real feast...prepared in the traditional lovo oven. I will admit...I was a little afraid of the fish that night. My husband told me that he saw the guys take a tuna head to the oven..(ya, really) ! The tuna steaks were wonderful that night. Simi laughed HARD when I asked him what happened to the tuna head. Hey, I was just a bit concerned...had to ask. No, they didn't serve it...to us....actually not sure what happened to that tuna head....I really should try to forget that one!

We asked to visit a nearby boarding school and Simi was more than happy to make it happen. The visit was life changing...honestly. A definite MUST do. Take the kids some goodies if you can...school supplies, fun games, colorful markers, paints...anything. I have 4 boxes in the trunk of my car...headed that way in the morning...and I'm so excited just thinking of their faces when they get to open them.

Simi also made diving arrangements for us, which was very appreciated. I'm still dreaming about the diving.....absolutely incredible. I could go on and on.... Maybe I should, but I need to get this finished so I can start planning our return trip to Oneta.

We loved the island, even got to meet a very friendly Kadavu parrot named Shotsky. AND...last but not least....I caught a GT !!! Well....OK....let me rephrase that....Simi caught one and let me reel it in. (same thing, almost). OH, and we saw a whale shark!

Husband and daughter, I am happy to say, also had a wonderful time on my dream vacation...which is very important as I plan to keep my self appointed duty as family vacation manager. When our daughter signed the guest book she wrote that it was one of the best weeks of her life... Yeah! My husband just smiles when I tell him we're going back...which is worth a thousand words...well, maybe 10.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank LauraA81624
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife, 4yr old daughter and I had the great pleasure of staying at this wonderful Resort. Nestled amongst the palm trees, with a lovely beach and magnificent tropical reef for snorkelling at your fingertips.
The resort is the true Fijian experience. The bures are picturesque and very clean. We stayed in both the honeymoon and standard bure, both come with delightful outside bathrooms. We found paying that bit extra was worth the money for the bigger room and ocean breeze of the beachside honeymoon bure.
The staff we found warm, friendly and dedicated to making your stay as pleasant as possible. They organised a most memorable fun birthday party for my wife, and were more than happy to entertain our daughter as did their pet cat and dog. She still has the happiest of memories.
All meals are fantastic and fresh, especially the caught in the afternoon tuna, prepared for dinner sashimi. Wow, to die for.
We highly recommend Oneta resort for a great Fijian getaway. The great location, beautiful reef friendly staff and layed back atmosphere. Only downside was mosquitoes, and that could be put down to the heavy rain from the weeks before

Room Tip: Bures closer to beach cooler, as they get sea breeze Standard bure requires fan
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bruce t
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have traveled to multiple countries and have even stayed at other resorts in Fiji. My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort for four nights and it is safe to say that this was one of the best places I have ever stayed at. Fiji is undeniably beautiful and this location is not only pristine and remote but is also next to world class diving. We both loved the accommodations which included a mosquito net around the bed and outdoor shower (don't worry, it's walled in by bamboo). But the delicious food and warmth of all the people working there were unmatched. The staff is so personable that you become part of the family while there. When we weren't diving or spending time in/by the water, we got a tour of the property and played with the resort's dog and cats. This is a wonderful resort and I hope that we are able to visit again soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Emily I
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary, wanting a total relaxing holiday. Set amongst the palm trees only metres away from the lagoon, the sound of surf in the distance, and set amongst the peaceful sway of the palms : Oneta delivered in trumps. It is the ultimate island hideaway.

Italian Piero and his beautiful Fijian wife Voolie are the perfect hosts, providing the right mix of good company, fantastic food and local knowledge.

The Fijian staff are also fantastic : Simele the smiling fishing king will take you to the best spots on the Oneta boat, and the cooks and other staff are the best combination of friendly service and good company.

Every meal was gourmet, with a great blend of Fijian and Italian sources, and all were prepared with produce grown on the property, or fish caught that day.

The bures are clean, bright and new, and I loved the fine touch of the Italian linen and fresh flowers placed every day. Hammocks amongst the trees let you finish those books you had been meaning to read for years, the sea is a few steps away for a cooling dip or a snorkel, the kayaks plentiful for an expedition to nearby micro islands, and the sea breeze will keep the smile on your face all day. In the unlikely event that you get stressed; book a great massage on the 'by the sea massage platform'. Perfect.

Despite our best efforts, Voolie is still the Scrabble champion and we will need to come back to challenge her for the Oneta scrabble title.

Room Tip: we started in one of the smaller bures but upgraded to a larger one after a few days to let us sprea...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnmconstable
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was searching for a place to stay with my husband as his sixtieth birthday present, and as he's a keen fisherman, this seemed to fit the criteria and we were certainly not disappointed! He spent a full day and a half day out at the reef and caught large GTs plus many good eating fish such as coronation trout. I'm not keen on fishing, but had plenty to keep me occupied: kayaking, snorkelling and lying in the hammock reading allowed me to truly have a relaxing and fulfilling holiday as well. The staff were friendly and professional, our bure clean and inviting, the food diverse and nutritious as well as delicious. We watched a movie on the outdoor screen, had a boat trip to see the bird migration, sunset and then the rise of the last full moon of the year, and were taken to some snorkel spots where the coral and variety of fish species were absolutely amazing. Our hosts were engaging and interesting with out ever being too invasive of our privacy. I would thoroughly recommend Oneta for all of the reasons above and more, it was truly a positively memorable experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the bure closest to the beach and would recommend this one as it gets the cool ocean br...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Matana Beach Resort - Dive Kadavu
Tiliva Resort
Tiliva Resort
#3 of 3 in Kadavu Island

Been to Oneta Resort? Share your experiences!