Open today: 09:00 - 19:00
Review Highlights
Outdoor activity Monchique

Day-filling activity with a perfect guide, Great to do with teens, Defenitly worth the money, I... read more

Reviewed 8 August 2020
Aibarenymke
Melsele, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
via mobile
Best 5 hours

The downhill trip was an excellent day out on good bikes, mostly on a mix of trails, dual-track... read more

Reviewed 31 December 2019
Paul P
Toronto

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Fantastic day out with excellent guides and support on this Countryside and Nature Tour. Frank and his team have a very well run outfit and our lead guide had great knowledge of the areas and culture. My partner was a little worried about length of the trip being a bit too much for her to manage but this was never a problem with the support vehicle never far behind in case of fatigue although she managed it all ok. Great scenery throughout. Even caught a breif glimpse of a Mongoose along the way! Prompt pick up and return from our Hotel and drinks supplied throughout the day with a lunch stop included. We both 100% recommended this tour and we will definatly be back next year with Frank and Co at Outdoor Tours to do another cycle and perhaps some Sea Kayaking.

Date of experience: February 2013
1  Thank PDLHammer
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Review by Phil H from Surrey, UK

We did the downhill cycle ride with Outdoor tours on a saturday morning in October 2012. We met up with our guide plus a driver at the office in Mexilhoeira Grande, having booked the trip by email. There were four of us - myself (age 50), my wife (slightly younger!!), plus two boys age 15 and 13. Another group had cancelled but Outdoor tours honoured our booking even though they were expecting a bigger group. We were driven up to the highest point in the Algarve, Mt Foia, and then cycled down with Thomas guiding us on bike and a back-up jeep following at a discreet distance behind. Sandwich lunch was provided in a pretty village halfway down. It was an exhilarating day out with two friendly guys who worked amazingly hard to ensure we got the most out of the trip in every way....nature information, scenic views, insight into life in the Algarve, even bike tech talk!! The ride suits all fitness levels as it is nearly all downhill, but even the most experienced riders will love the fresh air and views. These guys at Outdoor Tours deliver a high quality product and we highly recommend them.

Date of experience: October 2012
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Two brilliant trips, sea-kayaking in Lagos with a great laid back guide, double canoes and three hour trip around some of the small secluded bays and caves. Stop at a beautiful beach and snorkelling for a while, lovely and evenly paced so noone got left behind, all the time followed at a distance by a power boat in case of emergencies.

Downhill nature cycle from the top of Monchique mountain. Bus up to the top, Comfy bikes, safety helmets, water supplied, friendly knowledgable guide Thomas. Great views and details of flora and fauna. Downhill most of the way so although 35 km, not quite as much pedalling! Lovely lunch stop with sandwiches and cake. Great days out. Was rather cold at the top though! Again no one was left behind and followed by van with all the bags. Booked in advance and although was cancelled once as not enough people booked in, we were let know far enough in advance and easily rearranged for the next trip. Highly recommended.

Frank K, Owner at Outdoor-Tours.com, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2012

Many thanks! And thanks again for your flexibility when we needed to re-book your trip to another day.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

This was a great day out cycling down the Serra deMonchique. Started up at the highest point, where the radar station is. We then went downhill most of the way with the cycling guide stopping us a certain to points to chat about the cork trees, alfarroba, etc, etc which was very interesting. It is suitable for all types of cyclists. Our group ranged from 20s to 60s. However, our group had some very experienced cyclists which after a knee operation I was a bit wary of. The lunch was nice and the afternoon was more challenging with more hills than the morning. That didn't bother me as I was in the jeep with Paul for the afternoon. Yes....I fell off my bike but never argue with 13 cyclists nd 3 big trucks that weren't meant to be speeding and on the wrong side of the small mountain road... Don't worry I was assured that never happens plus I am clumsy. I was well looked after and got the full tour plus more as we had more chatting time :). I will be doing it when I go back cause the whole experience was fab and my sis who carried on till the end really enjoyed it.

Date of experience: September 2012

it rarely happens that participants fall off; I´m very happy with your detailed and positive feedback. We´re looking forward to cycle with you again !

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We (four of us) arranged our Downhill Nature Trip before we left home. We paid a deposit through Paypal to secure our reservation. Frank, the owner, was an excellent communicator throughout.

We met our guide, Thomas, at the office and were driven to the highest point in the Algarve in the Outdoor-Tours van. After fitting our bikes and helmets we were given safety instructions and a bit of time to practice braking and stopping. Then we were on our way.

Most of the trip is downhill on to back roads through beautiful scenery. There was practically no traffic for most of the trip. The views were extraordinary. The route was well-planned and took us through lush valleys and picturesque countryside. We made several stops and Thomas taught us about the local flora and fauna. He has a deep knowledge about the area and is an enthusiastic teacher. We were followed at all times by the van which totted extra water, bikes, helmets, first aid supplies, etc.

We stopped for lunch in a small village and had a simple yet delicious lunch of sandwiches on home made bread, fresh squeezed orange juice and yummy chocolate cake.

I highly recommend this trip. Outdoor-Tours is a reliable, well organized and safety-conscious business. We really enjoyed the day and look forward to cycling with them in the future.

Date of experience: May 2012
2  Thank synthesis

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback! Hope to see you again in the near future.