“Superb and relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horse Shoe Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mexilhoeira Grande
Horse Shoe Ranch
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Superb and relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I can only echo the other reviewers. Stephan and his team are most welcoming. Riding can be adjusted to your standard - as easy or hard as your ability dictates.Take advantage of the afternoon off, both Portimao beach and Lagos are worth a visit for the beautiful coastline! Food was excellent and if you get hungry in between meals you can help yourself from the kitchen (this was very convenient with an 'always hungry' teenager!) Horses are well trained and safe. All in all, it was an excellent holiday and planning to go back next year!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Just returned from staying at the horse shoe ranch for a week with a friend. A week is not enough, the horses are fantastic, well schooled and beautifully cared for and a pleasure to ride. The riding over the trails is beautiful and you certainly get plenty of saddle time, the all day ride is a must. A massive thank you to Stephan, Lana and Fabiene who could not have done more to make our stay great, You are looked after so well, even catering for my unfortunately fussy food tastes, great company and much fun was had in the week, nothing was to much trouble for them. We also made great friends with the other guests and are all meeting up again next year and can't wait. Try it you will love it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank paulrowlands66
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

One week at this wonderful ranch was not enough!
The horses are all beautiful,well cared for, forward going and so beautifully trained. But this is only part of the package. Stephan, Lana and Fabienne make you feel so welcome.
The food was fantastic but if you have preferences they go out of their way to accommodate you.
The rooms are beautifully clean and one of the most user friendly showers I've used in a long time.
On a practical note take some good sunscreen and mosquito repellant. Even though it's in the mountains this is still the Algarve.
I could go on for ever how great this holiday is but I suggest you try it.
If you love horses,riding,good food and great company you can't go wrong here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank DawnM57
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I went to horse shoe ranch in may with 5 friends and it was a really great holiday :-) we had wonderful sunshine for the 1st 3 days then we had dull weather with rain but we didnt let it spoil our time there. The rooms were basic but clean + comfortable beds (for me they were fine) the shower was very good with plenty hot water after a nice day riding. The food was so good + plenty for everybody even with 2nd helpings for all there was still some left for lunch he next day if wanted :-) All the horses were very good all 6 of us liked our horse :-) The rides were all great every day was different, some down in the valleys some up on the top of the hill + some in woodlands all very beautiful, most days we rode in the morning then back for lunch + then back out riding after lunch. There is 1day when you do an all day ride + you stop for lunch at The Bamboo Bar for the most amazing pizza i have ever had in my life it was just wonderful :-) We also went out a few time when not riding we went to lagos town + on a boat trip to the caves + to a shopping centre nothing was to much trouble. I will defo be coming back to horse shoe ranch again + soon :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GuernseyJes
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I can not fault this holiday, the value for money is superb.

From the time I was met at the airport by Lana, the first day riding, Stephen's (owner/host) translating services over a glass of wine in the evenings and finally when Fabienne dropped me back to the airport at the end of my week stay nothing was too much trouble in making sure that I had a great stay at the Horse Shoe Ranch.

The ranch has a very homely feel and coupled with the personal service received from Stephen and the rest of the team it is a great place to have an enjoyable and relaxing stay. By the second day they already knew what coffee all the guests wanted after dinner and Fabienne knew how we liked our eggs in the morning - it is this level of service which makes it memorable. Set in the amazing Algarve countryside it really is the perfect setting; its no wonder you have acquired so many dogs, they enjoy life on the ranch as much as the guests do.

As a new rider both Stephen and Fabienne were great once I was in the saddle and enabled me to make the most of my time riding, I would not have expected to be cantering on the 2nd day, although I'll admit the first canter was more about holding on tight and just about remembering to breathe!! Ten Lynx was the perfect choice of horse, so steady and calm, I don't think anything would phase him and it was clear that he, along with the rest of the horses, is so well cared for and schooled to the highest standard, that a complete novice is able to gain confidence very quickly and really enjoy the experience in such a short time. I'll definitely be riding again.

Now onto something I that I know a bit more about..... the food served was good quality "home cooking", was in plentiful supply and the drinks flowed freely. I thought the schnitzel was great and the pizza was probably one of the best I've ever tasted. "Stable Beers" was great fun and epitomised the social side to a stay on the ranch which made the time out of the saddle as enjoyable as the time in it; the Caprihinas on Sunday night were superb.

As a relaxing and enjoyable break for both experienced and novice riders I can not recommend the Horse Shoe Ranch highly enough. The Ranch has many repeat guests and having stayed there I can understand why.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo