“A fantastic experience for our wedding day”
Review of Lewtrenchard Manor

Lewtrenchard Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewdown
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Lewtrenchard was our first choice for our wedding reception. The staff and owners made it a memorable day for all the right reasons. The house is beautiful and we feel honoured to have made it part of our special day. Thank you so much. We have recommended to all our friends and family

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Danrollason

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked every room at the hotel last week for three nights for our vintage Rolls-Royce car club, some members of which have stayed at the finest hotels in the world and like me are perfectionists.
I can say without hesitation that the standards and service we received at the Lewtrenchard Manor were amongst the very best we have had anywhere. Upon arriving we were greeted by wonderful log fires in the principal rooms, the staff were attentive, efficient and friendly, the food was sublime and the rooms superb.
We had no complaints whatsoever, everything was exactly as one would wish from a top quality hotel and I am bound to say we thought the cost was very reasonable .
Enormous thanks to James and Sue Murray and their team, every one of whom performed like the true professionals they clearly are.
I am sure that a number of the Club members will be back in a private capacity in the future to enjoy more of the arcadian delights this hotel offers.

Room Tip: The rooms off the Long Gallery have wonderful southerly views over the garden
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We travelled to Lewtrenchard on a beautiful sunny spring day. The first view of the house is quite breathtaking with the fountain playing and guests taking tea on the lawn. The room we were given wasn't quite to our liking but we were changed to another room the next morning. The staff were very helpful and understanding with this. Once we got used to the old house we found it very relaxing and Margaret eventually made us welcome. My husband likes 'creaky' old houses and I'm sure he was not disappointed. The food was beautifully presented although we did find it rather 'rich' and quite slowly served. Maybe a good idea would be to have one dish on the menu that is not so 'rich' - say - a salad ? Also, a tea tray in the bedroom please. Thank you to all the attentive staff who treated us so well, especially their concerns for my husband.

Room Tip: Prince Rupert looks lovely
1  Thank Angel18Dorset
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My partner and I recently spent two nights over Easter at this beautiful establishment. I can't say enough good things about it! On arrival, we were met by a very friendly receptionist who took us to our room - unfortunately, I was feeling a little unwell, and she made every effort to look after me - which was a very kind and thoughtful touch.
A little later, we ventured downstairs to the hotel lobby, where she gave us a quick guided tour of the fabulous Jacobean property - her knowledge of its history was wonderful, and we felt as though we'd landed a personal National Trust guide.
Our deluxe room was wonderfully spacious and clean - we even had fresh daffodils on the dresser. We were a little put out that there were no tea/coffee making facilities, however we were offered coffee in our room, and this arrived on the dot - freshly brewed and perfect (we even had warm milk). This more than made up for any shortfall we had perceived. The wonderful ambiance and service was further underlined by our bed (I think it was a feather bed, but I may be wrong) being turned down and the curtains drawn - something I have never experienced before.
Breakfast was fresh and very good quality, the staff exemplary and, in short, the whole stay was idyllic and when we finally left, we did so feeling suitably refreshed. We would definitely like to return.
We sadly were unable to take advantage of the evening dining which is offered by the hotel, but from what I heard others saying, we definitely missed out - although it did seem a little pricey. If you are looking for somewhere quiet to stay, this gets a 10/10 from us (but be warned, there is no mobile phone reception .... we were glad of this, but some folk may find it difficult to get used to). Well done to the Murrays and their staff, a fabulous experience. Don't take my word for it, book it up quick!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Everything about our two day stay in this beautiful manor was excellent. The attention to detail and information we received and read on the website before our visit made us optimistic. But our expectations were exceeded.
We received a very warm welcome as did our dog. We felt instantly at home, the atmosphere of warmth and contentment seems to ooze from the very walls and all staff without exception were friendly, helpful and attentive.
Our room was gorgeous with the most glorious four poster, the furniture and decor could not have suited us better. We thought we would miss the tea making facility, but enjoyed a pot of tea delivered to us at exactly the right time each morning.
We dined both nights, experiencing the taster meal the first night. The food was excellent and beautifully presented and the service professional and friendly.
We chose the hotel because it was dog friendly, you can walk out of the front door and walk in lovely surroundings. To say there is attention to detail whilst you stay is an understatement, even the dogs bed was 'turned down' at bed time.
A very sincere thanks to The Murrays and all the lovely staff at Lewtrenchard who gave us two blissful days holiday.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and I expect offer different strengths. We were lucky with our allocated...
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We wanted somewhere really 'special' for a birthday night away, and couldn't have chosen better. This beautiful manor house is set in lovely grounds, the Murray family and their friendly staff couldn't have been more welcoming, the house was full of flowers and has a wonderful ambience. There are open fires and comfortable big sofas downstairs, our bedroom had a huge bed, claw footed bath and big fluffy white towels and robes in the bathroom. Dinner was superb, locally sourced meat, veggies from the Lewtrenchard garden, even the bread is made on site. Thanks to James Murray's knowledge we also drank some fantastic wine.
We will be back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janiedevon
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I celebrated my birthday yesterday and was taken as a treat to Lewtrenchard Manor for the night. What a beautiful place - from the moment we arrived yesterday afternoon til the moment we left this morning everything was just perfect. The room - St Clements was immaculate,pretty and so comfortable. The attention to detail throughout the hotel was enormous and we could not have been looked after better. Dinner was a culinary delight and I only wish I had had enough room to eat the fantastic breakfast my husband appeared to enjoy this morning! Thank you the Murray Family for such a treat - we enjoyed every minute of it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewdown
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 1 in Milton Abbot
Mill End Hotel
Mill End Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chagford

Been to Lewtrenchard Manor? Share your experiences!