“Not for business or any other trip in my opinion”
Review of The Bugle Hotel

The Bugle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Titchfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed in The Bugle from the 16th - 20th June 2013 having read some positive reviews and was staying on business. I had booked a twin room because I wanted my own bathroom. Whilst the welcome was very friendly I was advised to park where the security camera focussed on my car - this did not put me at ease as a single female. The rooms are basic and dated and not very clean. In the morning the shower was luke warm/cold even after running the water for over 30 minutes. Returning from the office after work on the 17th, the second (dry) set of towels had been removed and the wet ones had been folded and put on the rail (still wet). I approached the manageress to express my concerns and she was really apologetic and gave me a set of dry towels and also came to check the shower - apparently, my room was furthest from the boiler and I should have run the sink tap on full blast for a while to get the shower hot and they had no complaints all weekend from other visitors! Being tired, having clean towels and ready for a hot shower I was grateful to climb into bed. The lesson was not learned the next day when the towels (including the slip towel for the floor) had been folded again and were wet (just glad I do actually pack my own!) - I went for a shower only to find it was luke warm whatever I did and was too tired to be bothered to complain again. Went to dry my hair and looked in the drawers - there was no hair dryer but lots of other rubbish and also an empty bottle in the wardrobe! I did eat once in the pub/restaurant downstairs but felt uncomfortable as there were a couple of regulars that were staring because of one too many. Certainly not the place to stay for a single female on a business trip and I would not stay there again even in any other circumstances. The towels were never changed after the first event!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BusinessVisit444

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for one night last week when I was on business in the area. The room was lovely, a good size and oozing with character; loved it.
The bar is charming and original and serves excellent food in a very relaxed atmosphere. What makes this place so great though are the people who run it. From the moment I walked in I was made to feel welcome and they were all so friendly I felt more like an old friend than a customer. Thank you, it was lovely. Just wished I'd had time to stay for a cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2013

1/ on the website it was written single room with shared bathroom at 30 pound,
but really it was 45 pound... they said that depend on the season, but we were in february and I was the only costumer....

2/ the shared bathroom was just disgusting, I was afraid about touching walls or floor with my skin.
mouldiness everywhere and the shower curtain was not white anymore ( see pictures)

3/ there was no toilet paper in the shared toilets...
I will not recommand it to no-one

4/ the free wifi was not available due to a problem

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kaena66
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights - our room was very spacious and very clean, also very quiet considering we were one floor above a busy bar. The view from our window was into the old courtyard area which has been converted into an atrium so the room could be a little dark at times but how much time do we spend in our hotel rooms while awake!
We did have a couple of issues with the room - the shower support was broken - which did mean the shower could be used with difficulty but the owners were aware of this and will be repairing the support asap - they have recently moved into the hotel so there will be a few things needed doing which could take a bit of time - this did not distract from our stay.
The bed head was also a bit uncomfortable if sitting up in bed watching the telly - it was cast-iron bar style and the gaps between the bars were just big enough for the head and pillow to slide between! Again this wasn't a major issue.
The meal we had in the hotel was very good - everyone enjoyed their choices - there is a decent range of food - we would have eaten there more often if we hadn't been out & about most days with relatives so we had meals elsewhere in the area.
The breakfast choices were meagre - a selection of boxed cereals, orange juice only - we didn't try the cooked breakfast choice as we were suffering from an excess of food intake most mornings! I did enjoy the morning coffee though and the meal was sufficient for our needs.
The big plus for this hotel was the friendliness of the staff - we were made very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay - these people are just 'finding their feet' in the hotel so all-in-all things will get better and we will be staying in the Bugle again in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be quiet for being above a bar - no real preference.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here 1 night in a single room non-ensuite, which was comfy. The pub/hotel is in the centre of et village of Titchfield, near to Fareham. Titchfield Abbey ruins are nearby. Nice old pastel-painted Hampshire village. On bus route to Southampton, if not got transport.

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms were non en-suite or not, would be worth asking if t#his is crucial to your st...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for his birthday, we stayed in the double room with a en suite and a bath in the corner of the room.
Absolutely beautiful to stay in and was really nice to be able to relax in the tub whilst watching television and chatting.

The bed itself was ok to sit on and watch teley on but when we went to go to sleep it wasn't comfortable and I woke up the next day with a stiff neck but perhaps just a extra pillow may have helped.

The particular night we stayed there was a function downstairs which when guests went to toilet across the way from the room, the door kept banging which in the end drove us insane but turns out it had finished by the time we got quite annoyed.

The food is absolutely wonderful, we had lunch, dinner and breakfast the following day and it was all very tasty and I couldn't fault any part of it. The restaurant had a lovely relaxed vibe, we quickly felt very settled.

Overall I would defintely stay here again, whenever we plan to go away for a relaxing break we always think of going here as we really loved the location and hotel itself as a whole. The staff were very helpful, polite and always done their best to ensure we were happy.

I think the management should be very proud of their staff and the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 5 February 2013

we booked the bugle for a Friday and Saturday night for a double en suite room.
there is a last check in time so we booked the latest one which was 10.30 pm (we had to travel quite a way after work) .
check in was simple and friendly we had time for a drink before closing so found it ok. looking round the bar area it did seem a little shabby in places with the bar stools having ripped coverings. the open fire looked good but it was not lit when we arrived understandably
the hotel does not have a residents bar or any facility for drinks after last orders. we were informed we could take one up with us if necessary.There was a separate unsecured entrance to the rooms for access during the times when the bar was closed.
the hotel has character which we like and yes the floors were sloping which can be expected from a hotel this age. There were lots of interesting nooks and cranny's.
we were however very disappointed with the room as we had paid the top price for it and the hotel was not full. it was very small with a rather small ugly shower room . the shower cubical itself was dirty and needed a new door.there was someone else,s soap drips on the wall of the cubical and remnants of soap in the soap dish attachment. the toilet had brown stains in the bottom.
there was a problem with the water being lukewarm but after running it for what seemed forever it came through a bit warmer.
the bed was small and very uncomfortable and i could not get to sleep on it.
the room furniture was ok but cheap looking. there was an issue with cleanliness and we felt the room had not been cleaned properly for a while. there were a lot of cob webs around the window.The window frame was dirty and all the paintwork could have done with a wipe.
All in all the people running it were very nice but we wouldnt stay there again.

Room Tip: the rooms at the front are noisy in the early morning with 2 shops next door and the rooms have sing...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jimjam7

Been to The Bugle Hotel? Share your experiences!