“Fantastic b&b for a relaxing short break”
Review of Oakhill Inn

Oakhill Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Oakhill B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here in September and had the most wonderful 2 night stay. It's set in the pretty village of Oakhill where there are plenty of walks in the surrounding beautiful countryside, plus it's only a 45min or so drive to Bath. The accommodation is very comfortable (we were lucky enough to stay in 2 different rooms due to my booking mistake!) and the rooms are dog friendly which was a bonus for us with having a dog!
The breakfast was made with local produce and was amazing. The breakfast was so big that even my husband who has a huge appetite, was still full at lunchtime!
In the evenings the pub had a welcoming 'local feel' and we enjoyed a really nice 3 course meal which was excellent value considering the quality. There was also a more 'formal' restaurant for those that preferred that. We were very impressed with the little 'extras' like OS maps to borrow and fresh milk in thermos flasks to take to the rooms.
Thanks for having us Mike- we'll definately be back again!

Room Tip: Can't remember the room number but on 1 night we stayed in the room with a roll top bath- such a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were there during the summer/ 2 adults 2 children. it was just great claean and bueatifull. the village is full of magic and it close enough to bath. The rooms were lovely and the food at the bar was great as well as the service. highly recomended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We've been to the Oakhill Inn a couple of times now. Coming upon it by chance, we stayed for lunch (venison burger for my husband and whitebait for me). Both tasted fresh and homemade.

There are a good choice of ales and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Popped in again for a drink on a rainy Sunday afternoon, and warmed up next to the lovely log burner.

It has a traditional feel and has a separate bar area as well as a larger restaurant, though you can eat in either. This is the best sort of set-up for pubs I think, allowing locals a place for a drink and a chat, whilst providing decent dining facilities.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is only a review of the restaurant. This is our local pub and I have grumbled many times about the poor vegetarian choice. There is really nothing at all on the bar menu if I don't was a ploughman's.

I tried the goat's cheese salad from the main menu. The sun-dried tomatoes were so stringy and chewy that I could barely manage them. The salad was very small indeed and was absolutely drowning in dressing (the menu describes it a "balsamic glaze"). I could hardly eat any of it and there was only one item on the main course menu - a risotto with black garlic and slightly oddly featuring eggs!

The chips were very good and I consoled myself with these.

The atmosphere of the pub is great and I would like to be able to enjoy a variety of tasty food that is cooked better than I can cook myself..But I will be patronising the far less atmospheric Mendip Inn when i was a meal because of it far better menu.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Lovely room with a huge bathroom (we paid the extra for this and I'd say it was well worth it). We stayed for a week, ate here every night without having the same thing twice and it was all delicious. The breakfast was good too. Staff very friendly and welcoming.

The free wifi alas did not reach our room, though apparently it's fine in others and it's not a problem as you can always pop down to the bar where it works fine.

The car park is small and fills up quickly as this is obviously a popular local pub but it was no problem to find a space on the very quiet high street.

One issue: my partner came back to stay here in September and they had messed up the booking so that he had to find somewhere else for the last night of his stay. He didn't find this out until he'd already arrived.

I will probably go back here but I'll definitely be calling ahead to make the sure the booking has really happened.

Room Tip: We went for the large bathroom, for which you pay extra, but I think it was worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hawaiian_owl
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The main road was closed so we got diverted past this inn.We are new to the area so didn't know it was here. Stopped for dinner and it was great, had a burger and fish and chips both top class. Good butcombe bitter, friendly locals with their dogs completed a pleasant evening. Will recommend and return.

Room Tip: Only had dinner
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Recently had a wonderful experience staying here with our 3 (well behaved) dogs. We stayed in room 3 which had plenty of space. The rooms are decorated well in a rustic style which oozed old English charm. Beautifully starched white linen adorned a comfortable Victorian bedstead.
Downstairs the staff were very friendly and accepting of the dogs asking us if we would prefer to eat in the restaurant or that they were happy to lay a table for us in the bar should we wish to have the dogs downstairs with us.

Free wifi and comfy sofas downstairs also added to the comfort and charm factor.

We ate dinner and breakfast. Both were excellent. Considered presentation and well sourced local produce added to the quality and ambience. The black pudding was the best i'd tasted and on enquiring; chef was more than happy to bring out the whole pudding to talk about it.

Having never stayed anywhere overnight with our dogs before for fear of being treated as outcasts, I can honestly say we were thrilled with the service and welcome we received.

Id happily recommend this stop off to anyone (with or without your pooches!!)

Room Tip: All rooms looked spacious and well appointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Oakhill Inn? Share your experiences!