Arrived to check in at 4:30pm - place was closed, called the number on the building, no answer - left voice mail. Staff turned up at 5 and let us in. Rooms were cute and in keeping with a country pub. Wifi downstairs doesn't work up stairs so theres another password - which we discovered after sitting in the hall for about 10 mins trying to catch a signal.
Food is great - had dinner and an outstanding breakfast.
Tried to have a shower at night but the shower ran cold, dressed and walked down to the main bar to complain, was told - it had turned itself off and should come hot soon. Waited another 20 min while the water ran cold, went back down to the bar to be told - if you run it very slowly that should fix it - waited another 20 mins - still cold - trapsed back down to the public bar (there is no in room phone). FInally started to lose my patience and told the staff member - I am sick of coming down here to report this to you - do you think you could actually followup to see if this is working so I don't have to come down every time. She finally left the bar and proceeded to spend about 30 mins running the shower ... to no avail. At midnight I called a halt to the proceedings and she said - the owner will be in touch to discuss a discount or something.
Next morning - no hot water. Chef greeted us at breakfast with apologies and a story how the boiler is problematic - but usually he can start it. Like I said awesome breakfast.
Left as there was no one to check me out and I had to get to an appointment and my colleague paid for everything the next day when he checked out.
A few days later I got a msg to call the owner. We played phone tag for about a week. When he finally did make contact he apologised but said 'as this is a mechanical issue we there is nothing we could have done'. I asked about recompense - saying that the least they could have done was comp the food or discounted the room rate.
He was going to get back to be ... but hasn't.
Id eat here ... but when I stay in a hotel I expect there to be as a minimum hot water - when this is not provided the stay is well below expectations and I would assume an ongoing problem such as a boiler problem would be a priority to fix.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A traditional English country inn with five, 4 star, en suite rooms. Comfy sofas and roaring log fires in the winter and a beautifully sunny walled garden in the summer. The bar is a show case of well kept real ales, local ciders and excellent wines. Menus are full of fresh seasonal produce from local suppliers and served throughout the pub or in the dining room. Rooms are comfortably furnished with particular attention paid to the bedding and showers.This is a family run inn and the welcome guests receive is genuine and warm. An excellent base from which to explore all that Bath and Somerset has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Oakhill Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oakhill Hotel Oakhill
- Oakhill Inn Shepton Mallet, Somerset