“Just what I needed”

and 1 more site!
Electra Guest house
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Marsalforn
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Need an overnight stay in a busy March weekend, found a cheap single room on the Internet. The room was very small, however it was OK for me as I only needed it to sleep for a few hours. The room was recently refurbished and had a sea view, in any case. Breakfast was included and staff was friendly. Not a five star hotel of course, but pretty useful in an emergency.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tsum60

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Lunched or dined, or just had a drink, at Electra many times before, but only noticed on last visit it was also a guesthouse! Will certainly bear in mind for a future visit. Food (pizzas recommended) good and reasonably priced, friendly service and popular as a meeting place with local Gozitans - always a good sign.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PamTem
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this Guesthouse for 10 day’s Sept/Oct 2013. On our arrival on a Saturday night we were just giving our key and told what room we had and that was it, maybe the girls were busy in the bar but I felt it was a strange welcome not to be told what time breakfast was at etc, etc,. Noel the owner was there the next morning and he told us breakfast was from 7am-10.30. He also told us where the supermarket was so we could go get our bits and pieces that we needed, the room we had was in the front and had a balcony with sea views, and you paid a little extra you could also see the hills of Victoria from the room. There was two single beds which were very comfortable, a wardrobe to hang your clothes, a flat screen TV, A bathroom with a shower, toilet, and wash hand basin hairdryer, there was a fan in the room or you could use the aircon which you had to pay for but there was a fine of €60 if the coin got stuck So we decided to use the fan( as €60 is quite a lot of money)The room was cleaned every day along with the changed of towels. Breakfast was the same everyday cornflakes, Bacon, Tomatoes, Beans, boiled and Scrambled eggs, Tea and toast, Fruit, and biscuits. We had dinner here on a number of nights and as some of the other post have said it is well known for their pizza “do try them they are yummy” also the pasta dishes, the only thing is it is on a busy street with the local buses passing as your eating your meal. There is also a bar on the premises the area was perfect the bus stop is across the road and you can get an all day bus ticket for €5.20 for 2 people, which is great value. It is so close to the beach and within easy walk of other bars and restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the balcony with seaview.
2  Thank mamodDublin_ireland
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I did not avail of the Electra's accommodation but visited their restaurant on my current holiday in Marsalforn. It's curious, really: I've been holidaying in Marsalforn for years but had not previously eaten at the Electra, despite it being just a two minute walk from my guest house. The reasons for this: Its location right on the road side (tourist traffic and the regular bus service cuts right through the outdoor seating area), and the fact that there always seem to be local men seated outside its entrance, with the mediterranean habit of addressing female solo travellers like myself in a way I find uncomfortable.

Having said that, of course I had noticed over the years, that the Electra's restaurant is always very busy with evening diners and locals calling to collect take-away pizza. That in itself is obviously a good sign. I finally did dine at the Electra a couple of nights ago, having been invited to join ex-pat aquaintances who dine there frequently. To my pleasant surprise, I found the service (by the host himself) prompt and efficient, the menu extensive and diverse, prices realistic and affordable, and the food very tasty. All four of us had ordered different dishes and none of us was disappointed regarding portion size or food quality. I finished my meal with a lemon sorbet which was to die for.

We sat just outside the door to the restaurant and I did find passing traffic annoying (even a that time in the early evening), but for those who feel like me, there is always the pleasant looking interior seating area.

I'm still slightly surprised I'm saying this, but I will be definitely back here for food.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank HOS70
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just spent Two weeks here with my wife.This is an excellent family run B&B. Breakfast is Buffet served 8 to 10.30. With Full English,Cereals and fruit on offer. If late Full English will be cold (Heated on Request) but who cares with September Temperatures. The Allday menu is absolutely brilliant with all five star food top quality and presentation. If you are a pizza fan then its definitely not to be missed. The rooms and all areas are spotlessly clean. The beautiful small beach is Two Minutes away.The family and staff are really helpful and friendly. Its really good value for money. A slight draw back is the absence of a lift, if you have any mobility issues ask for a room as low down as possible. I really recommend this gem.

3  Thank Sunregrets
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I were in Gozo on a day trip from Malta, but brought an overnight bag with us in case we wanted to stay. We liked the look of Marsalforn so decided to stay if we found accommodation. The Electra Guest House was the first place we tried and we were offered a room on the fourth floor which was spacious and clean, so we took it. It was a very warm evening and the main reason we decided to stay there is that the room had air-con. Unfortunately things started to go downhill after that, The pressure in the shower kept going on and off and then it ran out of hot water (it was only 8-00pm). It also leaked all over the bathroom floor. We got back around 11-00pm and let ourselves in (the restaurant downstairs was closed and the owners gone). The air-con was coin operated, so we popped two euro in to check that it worked, but nothing happened. Then we noticed that there was a switch hidden behind the bed. When we turned it on nothing still happened, even though the meter was showing credit. So it was just an overhead fan for the night.

We were pleasantly surprised to get a hot buffet breakfast next morning. When we were about to pay for the accommodation, we decided to tell the lady about the air-con in case it was faulty. She said she would give us the two euro, but then immediately thereafter took the money and said goodbye - quite comical really - maybe there was a language issue. So overall a rather strange experience, but at least the place was clean and if the air-con had worked, we would have probably have forgiven the cold showers!

2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

A Stones throw from the beach and waterfront. Rooms appear to have been refurbished to a very high standard recently. Air conditioning is available on a meter in your room (ask for the remote control at the bar).

Breakfast is downstairs in the bar. A good range of food available in the evenings if you want it. We noticed even the locals were coming in here to buy takeaway pizza.

If you don't like stairs or you have baby buggies etc, this is not the place for you. A rooftop washing line drying area is available for your wet clothes.

This was included as part of a diving package that we came on and a very good choice.

Wi-Fi available in the bar and upstairs in the rooms. Some rooms also have televisions, ours did not. Friendly approachable hosts.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank liam_kenny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marsalforn
Hotel Calypso
#1 of 5 in Xlendi
Grand Hotel Gozo
Grand Hotel Gozo
#1 of 1 in Mgarr

Been to Electra Guest house? Share your experiences!