Hotel Calypso
Hillock Residences(Marsalforn)
Horizon Complex(Marsalforn)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooftop poolsea viewreception staffhalf boardlovely hotelmarsalforn bayrestaurant staffthe general managerwaiter servicecoffee shopomelettelarge balconylocal restaurantssun decksunday lunchsmall harboursalt water
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Spent a week here with my husband two adult children, and my Mum who is in her mid 80's so we had 3 rooms all with sea views. One of the rooms was upgraded to a spacious suite which was lovely and allowed us all to get together at times in one room. My husband and children did diving with Scuba Kings all week (well recommended) and the balconies with sea views allowed my Mum and I to relax and read after doing some sight seeing earlier in the day...whilst listening to the hustle and bustle of the harbour and beach below..simply ideal. The bay is lovely with some great places to eat..my favourite was Ping's Chinese down below the hotel! Breakfast each day was wonderful, and the rooftop bar has a lovely menu for snacks, with a chioce of sitting outside in the sun or shade or inside an air conditioned room...all with lovely views over the bay. A nice place to spend the day is just around the headland from the hotel where you can hire 2 beach beds and an umbrella for the day for 10 euros...if you go for lunch, you leave your towel on the bed and no one will occupy it. Another great day out is to find Peter who owns the boat in the harbour that does a tour around the island of Gozo and Comino. He sells the tickets (as does the travel info centre in the town) and his two sons do the trip...superb day for any age to enjoy. Long may this bay remain the delightful place it is without becoming commercialised, and long may the Calypso hotel remain the best place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room if you can. If you can upgrade to a suite, do so.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Judith59_10
Reviewed 6 July 2012

i came with my family for a two nite stay,actualy i came the 3rd time here.what i like from this hotel is that its a very clean hotel, nice rooms and furniture.we come here with 2 kids and it's always hactic with them so we go to the beach under the hotel.in the evening if you want to change the atmospher there are alot of rest and a nice walk too.so what do you need more to relax.i come back if i want too.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2012

staying at the calypso hotel was a brilliant experience. the staff were friendly but not in your face and the view from the roof is superb. we were upgraded to a sea view room free of charge which also has spectacular views.

upon arrival back to our room every evening it was spotless no complaints at all. as for the pool on the roof, it was bigger and better than i expected due to some of the rather negative reviews id read.

being incredibly picky, bacon lovers, the bacon is not good. and the beds are a bit hard overall
i would recommend this hotel to anyone:)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 980barn
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I really hate writing bad reviews but more than a review the following should actually be considered a warning to anyone planning to stay at the Calypso Hotel in Gozo.

Not all is negative and I will begin by writing about the good things this hotel does offer. First and foremost I found the staff to be immensely helpful and understanding, particularly two very nice ladies by the name of Charmaine and Helen, I highly appreciate the trouble they went through to cancel the rest of the booking and refund my money back. So once again thank you Charmaine and Helen for your constant support you gave us.
The hotel is also spotless and I found it to be very clean too.

So what did I complain about and why did I leave just after one night?

If you happen to be visiting Gozo to explore the island, this hotel might just do it for you, however if you are planning a 3 night stay to actually stay in this hotel, make use of the 'pool' on the roof and relax inside and have breakfast in the morning you are in a for nightmare and trust me it will be a nightmare.

At around 2pm we tried to use the pool on the roof, unfortunately no sunbeds or umbrellas were available since they were all occupied by the residents, funnily the roof is big enough to fit more sunbeds and umbrellas but strangely the space on the back of the roof is empty and the rest of the other part is taken by chairs and tables. It is impossible to make use of this pool area or relax on a sun bed!
Paying Euro61 a night for a bed and breakfast simply does not justify the price considering the bad quality this hotel offers ( i will comment on the breakfast later) i am surprised that the hotel was supposedly to have been refurbished, if it was they surely did not refurbish the rooms!
The rooms are very dated, with furniture which looks very old (trust me they are not antiques) an old CRT Grundig TV in a cabinet just gives you an idea what to expect, even the remote control had to be changed as it was not working!
Could they not afford to replace the TV sets with 19 inch LCD-TVs??
Is the management aware that we are living in the year 2012?

The air condition is so noisy that I just had to switch it off at night, it was impossible to sleep.
Funnily outside in the corridor on level 4 room 423 a very annoying noise can be heard all day long, not only is this a nuisance during the day but the people who stayed in room 423 could not even get a good night sleep!

The breakfast.... (joke of the year)
Has the management ever checked out other 4 star hotels in Gozo and the breakfast they offer?
Maybe the Cornucopia would be a good tip guys.
This is what the breakfast consists of, potatoes, scrambled eggs( they looked very inedible) tomatoes, sausages and bacon. I wish I had a camera on me to show you the how off putting this food was, it looked like it was cooked at night and warmed again at 8am! I am not an expert but I have worked in the catering bushiness for 3 years and I know exactly how fresh cooked food is supposed to look like. This was not fresh but warmed food cooked hours ago!
There was a table of various fruit and croissants a small plate of 4 different cheeses and bread.
Coffee and tea from the Thermos and juices from the machine.
No cereal could be seen anywhere, no cappuccino machine or espresso in sight.
Personally this is one of the worst breakfasts I have ever had in my life.

Talking on food I had heard that they offer a good BBQ every Saturday night with live entertainment, when we went to ask about this, we were told we a smile that they have not started these BBQ's, what are they waiting for? Autumn? Also the offer of 50% discount on the Sunday lunch buffet to hotel residents is no longer available, when we asked about this we were told that it was an offer made only last year.

I honestly cannot recommend this hotel for anyone planning to enjoy himself inside this hotel, the rooms are ugly to stay in, the breakfast is a disaster, the noise on level 4 is a nightmare, and trying to relax by the pool is simply impossible.
This is one hotel that I will never ever check out again or even recommend to stay in.

Room Tip: The rooms we stayed in 423 and 529 are situated on the back of the hotel. the noise on level 4 near room 423 is so annoying that it is impossible to sleep. we do not know exactly what the noise is but it's very annoying.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank u2fanMalta
Reviewed 30 June 2012

What a great location,clean and very friendly. I would pay next time for a seaview room with balcony that you could sit out on. Safe is fairly cheap,air con and big ceiling fan gives you both options. Best bit for me was the breakfast and the view at breakfast. The pool is great just go up get your bed before breakfast so you do not miss having bed as they are limited the beach out front is great gets busy around 3pm. Watch out 4 jelly fish they are around. Take a walk up and around the harbour past otters bar keep going to the little bay xweji something like that very quiet and motel busy. The salt pans are around the corner as well. The temples were very disappointing really small not giant at all. Blue lagoon go that is a must but go early I cann tell you how crowded it gets you would not believe it and it's worse in July and August apparently. Best restaurant Beppe's and Latini's great food and service. Take the all day bus for 2.60 you can go we're ever you like and they are air conditioned. Cheaper than a tour. Midas cruise from Malsaform very good, Azure window worth a look great photo opportunities. Great holiday thank you

• Stayed: June 2012