Hotel Calypso
Hillock Residences(Marsalforn)
Horizon Complex(Marsalforn)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooftop poolsea viewreception staffhalf boardlovely hotelmarsalforn bayrestaurant staffthe general managerwaiter servicecoffee shopomelettelarge balconylocal restaurantssun decksunday lunchsmall harboursalt water
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Visit Calypso Hotel for short visit and we were truly satisfied.

To start off, we have only encountered the Front Office,Housekeeping and F&B staff and all are very helpful and efficient especially the housekeeping which makes you feels very welcoming. Front Office tried their very best yet they have their limitations whilst F&B servers need to put more effort in making the client the first and foremost.

The room itself was very well kept. Cleaning was top notch and fittings are of very high standards. We had a sea-view room and definitely a very attractive view of Marsaforn bay. It is shame that the weather was not in our favor and we could not enjoy the well sized balcony. I found the bed a bit uncomfortable, yet the accompanying persons did not complain hence it could be that I am used to different bedding. Having tea/coffee facilities would be a nice touch if they are provided free of charge.

We stayed on BB basis and Breakfast was of high-quality for a four star hotel. Wide selection to choose from especially the pastry section where one may find around 6 different types of bread rolls and another 6 different kinds of pasties which all seemed to be produced in–house and delicious in taste. The only thing about breakfast was concerning hot beverages as Coffee jars and Tea pots were readily available for self service . At times, the tea was not strong enough and throughout the service the tea will not remain piping hot. In my opinion, the management must invest in a coffee machine and offer other choices like; herbal tea, warm milk etc.

Hotel Calypso does not have a lot of leisure facilities and being Gozo is very quite throughout the shoulder months, no particular atmosphere is created. It was also a shame that the roof top pool terrace was not open for residents as I was looking forward to see the view from up there.

All in all, definitely a good value for money and I am surely to re-visit again if I plan to go back to the island of Gozo.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Usually the title I'm going to give to my review is one of the most difficult parts but this time I had no problem. Every morning when my wife and I went in for breakfast a most magnificent view of the bay and, on its right side, the sea, welcomed us. Though we went in February, the weather was so beautiful that - cross my heart - people were swimming! The view of the bay was also what we looked on from our room which was spotless. The staff was friendly and the breakfast delicious and extremely varied. When I look at these and the other positive aspects of this hotel I ask myself what do negative reviewers want?

At this time, this village is mostly deserted but enough restaurants were open and we had some wonderful and peaceful (few people and few cars around) long walks.

Room Tip: The beds and the coverings can be better. Choose a room with a seaview.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kwars0123
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just back from a weekend break with my girlfriend for Valentine's, which we enjoyed thoroughly, but not because this hotel was any fun!

The room we rented was overlooking Marsalforn Bay, which is lovely to wake up to in the morning. The hotel is clean and the staff is rather friendly. So why a poor rating, you might ask? Simple: the hotel is a poor 4-star experience.

1. The bedding is uncomfortable. We booked a double bed and we got two singles stuck together with a sheet that was too short to tuck in under the mattresses at both sides, so the sheets would come off at night. The sheets were overplayed with two single-bed blanket spreads, folded in the middle, which once again get all messed up because they do not fit properly. It would appear that the invention of duvets is still unknown to this hotel. The mattresses also feel cheap and slept on a few too-many times.

2. The furnishings inside the hotel rooms are shabby. They seem to be made of cherry wood with "touches" of white chipboard, and they're not getting any reward for style anytime soon. The doors look like cheap post-form. The lobby next to the reception is a mixture of cane sofas and cheap-looking amateur-made tables and shades. The corridors leading to the rooms lack any sense of taste, looking more like an old people's hospital-home than a good hotel!

3. The room facilities are poor, lacking any coffee/tea making facilities, an iron, bed slippers or anything of the sort.

4. There is dire need for proper maintenance everywhere, Our room had at least 3 wobbly tiles that felt like they would come off the flooring any time. The A/C was so noisy we had to turn it off. The water tap in the bathroom was clogged with limestone and water would not come out properly,

5. Breakfast was OK-ish. You get a buffet breakfast with the usual eggs and sausages and rashers of bacon, a variety of fresh fruit and breads, yogurts, and several pastries. The quality of the food itself was not great though; cheap sausages, streaky bacon, and the juices and water tasted outright horrible, more like fruit squash mixed with tap water!

6. There are no parking facilities. There are a few parking spaces in front of the hotel which are always full because of the many restaurants in the vicinity, so we always ended up parking several blocks away.

We have not tried the hotel restaurant but the menu looked ordinary. That didn't bother us as their are plenty of good restaurants and cafés in the area and in Gozo. There is also a small rooftop pool which we didn't bother to visit.

At best, this is an average 3-star hotel with some questionable 4-star attributes, but certainly not a 4-star experience. If you want better value for your money, try elsewhere!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clyde E
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Reading these reviews prior to booking I was really looking forward to our weekend break in this hotel! I cannot disagree that the hotel staff are really friendly, however, this hotel needs more than friendly staff to make it worthy of its 4 stars!!

1. The WIFI is extremely limited. Access to Youtube and other streaming sites was completely denied. I could not even access online radio. I could only access my e-mails and Facebook. Any site with a video was blocked.

2. What better than a cup of coffee as soon as you wake up?? But wait... where's the kettle? This is a 4 star hotel and you won't even find a kettle in the room!!

3. Went down for breakfast and was horrified. I tried to select food that didn't look disgusting, not that I really managed. Apart from that, items were scattered around the dining room. It was really confusing and without a proper system. We didn't even bother to go down for breakfast the following day.

4. The bedding was really uncomfortable. I ordered a double room and we got a twin with the beds joined together. There were only 2 pillows on the bed that were really small that you wake up the following day suffering from neck and back pain.

If you're looking for comfort whilst on holiday, this is not the place to go. This is not a 4 star hotel! Apart from that, parking is also a major problem in the area and we had to park around 3 or 4 blocks away everytime!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel for a better room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank indjana01
Attsed, Director of Sales at Hotel Calypso, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Indiana01,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Calypso with fellow travelers. We are concerned to read that your experience did not meet your expectations.
Thank you for your comments pertaining to the staff. Indeed all our staff strives to ensure all guests have a memorable stay at the hotel.
We never got any complaints on the restrictions of our internet service. The restrictions only apply if the username and password are not entered in the log in page. The username and password are available at our reception desk for free through 7-day window tickets.
Tea and coffee making facilities are provided upon request at a small charge.
We are very surprised to hear that our breakfast also did not meet your expectations as we have many positive comments on it. Indeed our breakfast includes a wide range of items ranging from Danish pastries, cold cuts, cereals, warm buffet station, juices and a live omelet station.
With regards to pillows you could have requested extra ones from the reception who I am sure would have been happy to oblige to your request.
I hope that we will have another chance to welcoming you back to Hotel Calypso.

Best Regards,
Stefan
Sales & Marketing Executive

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I am Australian-Maltese and was looking forward to spending time in Gozo during their Summer on my European trip... however, my choice of hotel was terrible. I picked this hotel because it was near the beach and close to restaurants however in reality Gozo is so small that you could stay in the outer "suburbs" and still be within a 5min drive to Marsalforn or Xlendi.

The Calypso was not worth the money whatsoever. The rooms were adequate however, the tv was extremely old aswell as the rest of the furniture. You are not able to leave the curtains open as people walking nearby on the street would be able to see into the room. The rug on the floor was dirty and tattered.. it should just be removed. The lighting was terrible. The beds are two singles put together and are old and hard as are the pillows and towels.

The bathroom was not great either.. The toilet would not flush properly and was making a bad smell. The sink tap sprayed water as though it was a high pressure shower and not a soft flow therefore, water sprayed everywhere. Housekeeping was very hit and miss. One day, we did not receive any towels or toiletries and after coming home from the beach all we wanted to do was shower. I contacted reception and was told they would be brought up straight away. 20 mins later, we were still waiting. I contacted reception again and spoke to the same gentlemen as earlier and he was so rude that I couldn't believe it. I was the one that should have been rude not him! He did not even offer an apology.. it was as though I was inconveniencing him greatly!

The wifi did not work in the room, it worked marginally better in the reception area. Map given by reception only shows the centre of Gozo being Victoria/Rabat nowhere else so bad luck if you wanted to explore! Pool area is a decent size and has a good view but the actual pool is small.

I asked reception to organise a taxi for us for a 5min or so drive and was told the cost was $15 I thought this was quite steep as I had paid far less for a longer drive earlier in the week and was told that the hotel gets a cut of the price and I could basically take it or leave it. I walked down the street and found a taxi driver and was only charged $8!!

Breakfast was good but not enough to improve my thoughts on this hotel. The staff at the hotel need to improve their attitudes and the hotel itself needs a reno. Will never stay here again and will make sure to let others know to avoid this terrible hotel. There are far better hotels to choose from in Gozo and fully furnished apartments for rent for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maree S

Dear Maree S,

Thank you for submitting your feedback following your stay at Hotel Calypso. We are sad to read that you did not enjoy the experience that many other travelers enjoy during their stay at Hotel Calypso. The hotel enjoys breathtaking views and many travelers choose our hotel as it is situated in the hub of Marsalforn – a prominent tourist resort on the island.
With regards to your room’s window being on the back street level, we always make sure that this detail is well communicated before booking and these rooms are sold as basic rooms. Many guests are happy to book such rooms which come at a cheaper rate. Having said that, all curtains have blackening and sheers in order for guests to set them as they wish.
We are concerned about your comments on our staff and I invite you to send me an email on stefanattard@hotelcalypsogozo.com so that we can divulge further into this issue and take necessary actions.
I do hope that we will get another chance to welcoming you at Hotel Calypso so that you will get the chance to experience a memorable stay like many guests experience with us.

Best Regards,