“Brilliant holiday, total relaxation, well run with private pool”

Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo
Cumbria UK
“Brilliant holiday, total relaxation, well run with private pool”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Great staff, Appartments bright and airey rooms based on traditional Gozo farmhouse style, with private pool and Barbeque area with loungers and chairs tables etc, stunning views of Victoria and surrounding countryside, only a short walk -1 km to village with a number of great little restrurants, all really friendly, looking forward to our next visit

Room Tip: Rubbles Bar in the village and Xi-Xi Chinese
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MarknDebbieCumbriaUK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The idea of a house was great. We loved that we had our own pool. My two boys spent almost every minute we were at the house in the pool! With that said there were a lot of negatives. There was no hand soap so we had to buy some at the grocery store. The TV didn't work or we couldn't figure out how to work it. It wasn't that big of a deal because we were in Malta but with two kids it would have been nice in the heat of the day. There was no air conditioner. We live in Italy so we understand not wanting to use the AC but it was really hot at night and you couldn't turn the fans any higher than low. The beds were close to awful and the pillows were even worse. I have slept on more comfortable beds in Italy and they have the worst. The lights in some of the rooms didn't work so it was very dark in the evening and at night. There wasn't enough toilet paper so we had to buy some. There were no wash rags. There wasn't enough hot water to use the jacuzzi. There was barely enough to wash your hair and your body and it wasn't hot water. It was warm. Most of the doors wouldn't close all the way. Since it was just family it wasn't a problem but it would have been a little awkward with friends or in-laws. My last complaint is that the people above us were very very loud. They should have a quite time or something. We go to bed pretty late (around 11:30 or so) and the people were still screaming and running around. With all that said the lady Monica that looks over/owns the houses was very nice. She seemed like a very sweet lady and the young girl that worked for her was very helpful. The only problem was they were never open. We stayed a week and tried to catch them at the office 4 or 5 times at different times and they were always closed. I think we could have called but we didn't want to make international phone calls and there was no phone in the house. The view from the balcony was beautiful and the breeze was great for drying clothes. They have a washer close to the houses that is free to use. That was very nice. Xaghra is about a 10 minute walk. There are great restaurants and a playground close to the city center. Xaghra is about the only city you can walk to comfortably. You must rent a car. Victoria is the best place to shop and its only about 5 or 10 minutes away. They have great grocery stores. When we got to the house Monica had bread, butter and ham for us. That was very nice but there was no salt or pepper. The kitchen did have just about everything you needed for cooking. Overall it was okay and we really enjoyed our week but we probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rachael0621
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at Ta Wenzu from the 22nd of April until the 2nd of May. I'd looked at the reviews and felt that for the money we really were getting a bargain. 65 euros a night for a lovely little farmhouse in a stunning location and having a private terrace with your own pool is such good value for money.

As far as cleanliness goes we found the farmhouse clean and tidy.Yes, there was a bit of dust but the beds, towels and bathrooms were very clean! You have to appreciate that Gozo is naturally very dusty with dry roads and the location of the farmhouses on the top of a hill means there can be wind. I can only assume that this is why the floor was a little dusty. The linen/beds/towels were changed half way through our stay which was great!

Monica was lovely she always replied to my questions in a prompt and friendly manner. This was part of the reason I chose Bella Vista. The little touches like leaving tea, coffee, milk, bread. ham and butter was the icing on the cake! As far as I'm aware Monica does that for every guest all free of charge and if like us you arrive late at night when all the shops are closed it's invaluable! Even the laundry and (high speed) wifi are free. It really is great!

The pool was lovely and our terrace/pool area was completely private from the adjoining farm houses. Our Farmhouse was s/w facing and was perfect from lunchtime onwards. I can imagine in summer it gets really hot!

The location is great you can walk for miles or just catch the bus. We walked to Victoria and Xaghra easily from the farmhouse. We even walked to Marsalforn. The bus service is great and you can even view the timetables on line.

In short I would definitely recommend Bella Vista to all of my friends and I'm sure it will not be the last time I go........... Thanks again Monica! x

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank AnnabellaH
Chania Town, Greece
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We enjoyed our stay, but as we had never been to Malta or Gozo before our expectations were based on the pictures on the Bellavista website, which must have been taken many years ago when everything was brand new. I really can't complain a whole lot though, because for a 3 bedroom apartment with 3 1/2 baths and a pool of our own we paid just over €500 for the week. Our main issue was the cleanliness. We stayed in Ta' Marina in April, which is still low season and perhaps that would account for the general feeling of neglect. It needed a thorough cleaning-the floors looked like they hadn't been mopped in months and there were crumbs in the utensil drawer and soap scum in the shower. There was not a mid-week cleaning or linen change provided, though we were given plenty of towels and the sheets smelled nice and freshly line dried. The water pressure was very low, though it seemed to be a problem everywhere on the island. We asked to have the water heater turned up, as the water was only warm and Monica was very accommodating, the repair man was there within the hour. Monica was very friendly and helpful, though when we needed something we had to call as she was rarely in the office. Overall we had a great vacation, one week is perfect for exploring Gozo and we would certainly recommend Bellavista farmhouses to all but the most particular or fussy.

Room Tip: Only a few km from Ggantija
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank amynielsen
BeViFa, Owner at Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I would like out to point out that most of the photos displayed on our website have been just taken recently (circa 09/ 10) especially the night scene, taken only this year, 2011.

Please also note that we offer weekly maid service (as stated on our website) and not 'mid-week maid' service. However, if extra maid service is requested by our clients, it is very easily arranged.

We are disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to rectify any of your concerns regarding cleaning, during the times we met in person, especially because nothing was mentioned about it.

We would like to thank you for your fair review and for your recommendations to other clients.
Carlisle, England
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Perched on an escarpment with fantastic views of Victoria and the Marsalforn Valley, the SW facing terrace is a lovely place to sit out. There is a BBQ (gas, not coal/wood) and some plastic seating & table and sun loungers.

Despite what some reviews have said, the swimming pool was clean enough. Sure, flies and petals build up but the man comes around once or twice a week to hoover them up but a skim net is provided. It can get a bit breezy... The pool was unusable unfortunately in late September: too cold. Oh well, the sea was just fine.

The apartment was in good nick but there was no frying pan (just a wok) and I think basic stuf like salt, sugar, oil, tea, washing up liquid & sufficeint toilet rolls should have been provided. There was a faint smell & feeling of dampness in the second bedroom which is insufficiently ventilated but well air-cooled. My biggest gripe was the floor which has clearly never been dusted and there was no broom to do it ourselves. Cleanliness could do with improving.

However, negatives aside, the farmhouse apartments are very well situated and everything is conveniently nearby. Gozo is small but DO NOT think of coming here without a hire car. You have a personal underground parking space and there is free washing facilities too.

Monica, the owner/host is friendly & helpful as was the maintenance man whose name I forget.

Beware if you are arriving late on a Saturday as the shops are closed on Sundays!

This would be a five star rating but for the disappointing kitchen provisions and dirty floor.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank raskolnikov
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 9 October 2010

When I first came across the bellavista website I was truly glad it is well detailed and all the photos are there to see, which avoids any nasty surprises. Then I read some reviews about the place. As I do usually I first start with the negative one's which left me a bit perplexed, but as they were dated, and the majority were positive I chose a farmhouse. I am very glad I did so! At arrival I was welcomed by a lovely gozitan lady (Monica) and she showed me around the farmhouse and later her daughter (Maria) came by to welcome us and give us the details about the amenities and free internet. The views from the terrace are truly amazing, one can practically see the entire island from the terrace with no obstructions. The pool was very clean and freshed us up when we could not stand the heat. Thier office is located a few meters away from the farmhouse where i booked an amazing boat trip round the island. They practically helped us with every query we had about the places to visit. On the whole one of the best accomodations I have ever been. Infact next summer I will be there again :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank dMalt
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We enjoyed our stay at Bella Vista Farmhouses. These apartments were located in the centre of Gozo Island. Our apartment was clean, had a lot or space and the swimming pool was lovely, big, clean and deep, but not suitable for non-swimming children. Gozo is quite rural and we enjoyed the tranquility out there. The weather was hot, the beaches were fine and the swimming pool was perfect for cooling down. Staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurants on Gozo were nice and cheap. We enjoyed our week in Malta.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank JJRobin100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xaghra
Cornucopia Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sannat
Gozo Village Holidays
Gozo Village Holidays
#3 of 4 in Victoria

Been to Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo? Share your experiences!