I was part of the group who recently stayed at Bella Vista farmhouses for a period of 44 hours. I would like to post this review in response to some of the comments written by the owner in her recent response which I feel are unfair.
The farmhouse is located in a quiet, typical Gozitan village. The view is amazing and you can enjoy the sunset from the pool area with Citadel at a distance. The rooms are spacious and decently furnished.
However, a number of shortcomings will definitely steer us clear of this cluster of farmhouses in the future.
Comment about fridge: The fridge part of the fridge feeezer provided was not working, period. The upper part of the fridge was cool through conduction from the freezer. After persuading the owner that we needed some form of refrigeration (keeping in mind the sweltering august heat) for the night we were offered a second fridge which we accepted to carry to minimize the inconvenience. If the owner finds it unethical to disturb the handyman at 8pm, is it ethical to ask your clients to carry the fridge... whatever the distance?
The second fridge was again not working having left it empty. Would the owner be so generous as to buy a new fridge knowing that both fridges were simply "not cooling enough"? You can be the judge of that.
Comment regarding cockroaches and water: With ineffective fans on the ground level and with very high temperatures outside, it is only natural to leave all apertures open as is typical for (almost) every local household. Yet I have no problems with insect infestation at my home since maintenance also involves pest control on a regular basis. I tried to point out that the problem was the wide crack in the wooden beam of the kitchen which is obviously the ideal habitat for such pests. I had taken some photos to show the problem and the pests but I will refrain from uploading them since I find them disgusting. Should anyone require verification I will be more than happy to upload them.
The huge amount of water was in fact a couple of footprints because we were enjoying the pool when the deliveryman arrived with the refrigerator. The uploaded image clearly shows the deliveryman and the "huge amounts of water".
Comment about gas BBQ: The so called (and advertised) BBQ was a stove / burner with metal plate on it, confirming similar reviews on other booking websites (see uploaded image). The "burnt paper" was simply carta forno to avoid putting the food directly on the plate as a hygienic measure. I tried to clean as much as I could. I apologise if some of it ended in the pool because of the wind.
The loud and lavish ways of our enjoyment which triggered the complaints was mostly conversational and obviously laughter. Would you expect otherwise? Why did she tell us on the last day when we confronted her with these issues if she had various possible ways to contact us? One wonders about the intentions of such a statement.
A number of other things were not up to scratch but these things you can live with: Dripping ensuite tap, 2 A/C remote controllers for 3 bedrooms and ineffective fans.
I am not keen on writing reviews, however, the arrogance with which our justified complaints were met prompted me to put pen to paper. All the shortcomings were because of something we did, according to the owner. Predicting a response to our reviews, I snapped and uploaded a couple of photos to give weight to my case.
I hope this review will be of use.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo is a family run business offering a charming collection of 21 self-catering farmhouses for rent. They are nestled in the quaint outskirts of Xaghra village, each enjoying stunning countryside views and a private pool. Each farmhouse enjoys its own private entrance. All the farmhouses have free Wifi, a fully equipped kitchen, bedrooms all ensuite, free Wifi, TV and air-conditioning. The Xaghra village square is only a pleasant 10 minute walk away. Here one can find a variety of restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, bank and a fuel station. The name 'Bellavista' acknowledges the sumptuous vistas that are the hallmark of our self-catering farmhouses. Our office lies in the heart of these farmhouses, ensuring 24-hour, prompt service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bella Vista Farmhouses Hotel Xaghra
- Bellavista Farmhouses Gozo Island Of Gozo/Xaghra, Malta