“Relaxing and away from it all”
Review of Cornucopia Hotel

Cornucopia Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Xaghra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
essex england
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at the Cornucopia Bungalows between 5-14 th July and had a truly memorable holiday here. Myself, husband and 3 sons aged between 16 and 21.
I cannot comment on the hotel rooms so my review is based on the bungalows and the facilities available at the hotel of which we were free to use.

I booked direct with the hotel .Our bungalow (no 8) was extremely spacious and slept 5 in 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms , all of good size with plenty wardrobe and storage space . There are air conditioning and ceiling fans in every room, . In addition to the hotels facilities of which you are free to use ,the bungalows also have lovely terraces , with table & chairs , sunbeds , a shared pool with plenty outside space and a fabulous view towards the sea at Marsalforn.

Next morning we paid the extra 5.50 Euros per person, per night to upgrade to B&B, my one luxury I was determined to have. Breakfast consisted of a cooked option of bacon, fried eggs, tomato’s, sausages, beans and fried potatoes plus all the usual continental options of toast, croissants, cakes, cereals , Melon, cheese, ham, cereal, fruit salad which seemed to be in cream ..Very nice.

The hotel is full of rustic charm. It has a small and intimate feel but also has all the facilities you are likely to need should you decide to go out and about or stay put and relax. There are 2 swimming pools.. One with a Jacuzzi and both with plenty sun beds and umbrellas .A large bar that if you explored was actually in 3 parts, with a good selection of snack/lunch options available. TV, internet and free Wi-Fi available in the reception/bar/small pool area should you want it.

Being a self catering option the website said cleaning only twice a week in the bungalows but much to my delight we were cleaned, beds made and fresh towels every day. I’m not sure if this was because we upgraded to B&B though.

The pools are busier at the weekends when local Maltese people arrive on gozo to relax and there is a good age mix here from young children to the more mature. Young children played happily in the pool. Many guests are return visitors and you can understand why. The cornucopia is a very special place with warm and friendly staff and guests.

We had a meal at the restaurant on our first evening which was very very good. Little touches like the waiter asking us if we would maybe like some help with the menu was very much appreciated. We also attended the Friday night BBQ which seems to be very popular judging by the amount of outside guests and coaches that arrived.

Xaghra square is a 15-20 minute stroll although not recommended in the heat!! . Claimed to be one of the most beautiful on the island with plenty nice eating places, all reasonably priced. Our favourites were D venue and Orleander both on the main square.

To get the best out of Gozo and the cornucopias location I would definitely recommend a car although there are local buses available. Marsalform is only a 5 minute drive where there are plenty other lunch and dinner options. Chez Armand was another lovely restaurant recommendation we got from fellow guests. It’s on Qbajjar Seafront which is the next small bay round to the left from Marsalforn. Just follow the coast road round to the left or the signs clearly marked Obajjar and there are 2 little restaurants on the bay. You can’t miss it and no parking problems like there is in Marsalforn. Do also visit Xlendi. It’s a busy little place come the evening so would definitely recommend bookings ahead. We had a lovely meal at Ta Karolina right in the corner of the bay which the cornucopia booked for us. Ask for a table on the waters edge if you can get one . The stone crab next door also looked very nice.

We have certainly fallen in love with Gozo and the cornucopia and hope to be back next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lynwestie
London
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Maybe because we were very early in the season, but I got the impression that the bungalow we were staying in, across the (very quiet) road hadn't been prepared for some time - clean enough but musty. The mustiness was there all week, despite my keeping the doors and windows open when possible. The decor in the rooms was terribly dated and desperately needs updating, the bedsprings were so worn they sounded like a far off thunderclap everytime you moved (when you sleep on it you'll understand). I gather the other hotels owned by this company are of a good standard and trust that at some point the Cornucopia will be updated accordingly. I noted in their info pack that they had been featured in the tv programme "Wish you were here" - this finished in 2003, but I imagine the rooms were last decorated long before. I cant comment on the hotel rooms as we were in one of the bungalows but the hotel itself, converted from a farmhouse was in a "rustic" (ie English pub) style and really didn't lend itself to having anywhere to sit and relax of an evening apart from round the pool. Saying that the bar was never open all week and to get a drink we had to get the receptionist to get it for us on the one night we did. The Cornucopia is a fair walk from the main square where there is a choice of half a dozen restaurants, all of which are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Talking of food we did eat in the hotel one night - it was a buffet night with entertainment. The buffet was of very limited choice (saying that there was only two other couples in there) and the entertainment was a singer/keyboardist - it ended up with just us in there and we'd finished by 9.30. As I said it was very early in the season so certainly no dancing under the stars round the pool. Breakfast was standard hotel fare - the usual waiting round the communal toaster (is that my toast or yours?) and please get rid of the instant coffee/chocolate vending machine. Also the week we were there the music EVERY MORNING was a tape/cd of depressing power ballads (dont want to hear Total eclipse of the heart ever again thanks). Not exactly the music to put you in a holiday mood. I trust this has been changed now.

Gozo itself seemed lovely, not sure why many people who review it on here have been dozens of times (including many non- Maltese) but we probably missed something as I would have liked to have seen more than we did in the week we were there. We stayed at The Cornucopia due to the closeness to Ramla bay, which was a bus ride away - we did walk the first day but be warned its a fair walk in the heat. The beach itself is ok - no development at all apart from two cafe's and a toilet and is a pretty spectacular location when viewed from the cliffs.

We went on a round the island boat trip which was a good way to see the varied coastline and coastal villages, the one we went on visited Comino bay early in the morning, which I recommend you should try and do as it is a truly beautiful place before the hoardes arrive a little later on.

To summarise Gozo is a lovely place to visit and would recommend it, The Cornucopia is an ok place to stay, not exactly cheap, and needs to improve its decor and general facillities. Sorry I cant be more positive, maybe if I visited at time of writing (July) when its fully up and running it might be different.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DaveT26
CornucopiaGozo_Malta, General Manager at Cornucopia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear DaveT26,
First of all we would like to express our thanks for finding the time to share your experience at the Cornucopia Hotel and Gozo in general.
I gather from your comments about the bar being closed that you stayed with us end of April beginning of May. The reason being that at that period we were re tiling the Bar preparation area and general maintenance in preparation for summer. In fact, also at about that time all flooring and stone works were re done by the top pool, BBq area and all floor tiles in front of the ground level rooms.
Although we take great care that all accommodation are clean and well-kept as stated, sometimes because of the nature of the natural stone during the rainy season it can have a distinct smell to it. The interior décor and furniture while fully functional is rustic that goes well with the style of the whole complex. Again your comment has been noted and all the mattresses have been replaced.
During the shoulder months, although we still keep usual events such as the Friday Carvery evenings, the choice on display might be less than usual, but will make available if asked for, same goes for breakfast, to eliminate waste.
Once again thank you for your valued review, and if you ever visit us again during the summer months you can experience these changes for yourself.
Looking forward to greet you once again at the Cornucopia Hotel,
Sincerely yours
Brian Caruana
General Manager.
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here for a 2 day break ,we was a party of 3 ,me, my partner and 9yr old son. On arrival I thought I did a mistake by booking this hotel because room was s little old dated but the relaxing atmosphere by the pool and in the hotel in general quickly compensated for the rooms.but the most memorable thing I remember of this hotel is the kindness of one particular waiter ( I do not recall his name but was in his early fourtys ) that with his smile and impeccable service made our evening perfect .thank you....keep it up.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank cpbeachlife
Essex England
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Relaxing, helpfull staff, lovely surroundings (book a room with a view) and with two pools ideal for young children. If you stay there you do need a car. The town square, with nearest restuarant, bus and shop, is about a kilometre away, a long up hill walk on a hot day.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank GibboJW
Malta
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Went for a relaxing girly weekend and had a truly wonderful relaxing weekend. The staff are very welcoming and nothing is too much trouble for them. The barbecue with live music and dancing on Friday nights is superb with live music and dancing around the pool. It really is a wonderful peaceful hotel where you are made to feel most welcome at a brilliant price. Will definately be staying again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maltesers194
Malta
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I went to the Cornucopia Hotel with family and it was a truly an excellent stay. One of the most relaxing holidays you can have in Gozo. The Staff were very welcoming and always there for whatever you might need. The breakfast was very good and with a choice of both English and Continental at no extra charge. Well done on that. For an afternoon snack by the pool I recommend checking out the Maltese Tuna Ftira. The bread is incredibly good and I found myself actually treating my hungry appetite in the afternoon on a nice cold beer and a lovely Tuna Ftira :) I highly recommend Cornucopia and will hopefully be paying another visit there soon. Well Done to All the Staff. Keep it up. 10/10

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank u2fanMalta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xaghra
San Andrea Hotel
Calypso Hotel
Calypso Hotel
#1 of 9 in Marsalforn
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Cornucopia Hotel? Share your experiences!