“Lovely relaxing time.”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Xaghra
Dublin
“Lovely relaxing time.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful relaxing time here. We traveled to Malta using Mercury Direct(aka Sunspot Holidays) and they were superb: highly recommended. We were met at the airport and brought to the ferry terminal for Gozo and then met again when we landed in Gozo. We traveled, as the only occupants, in a Merc on the return leg of our journey.
The hotel was superb. We arrived at night so didn't get to see everything but we awoke to a sunny panorama. The hotel is not a 'high-rise', more like an elegant villa ( it was originally a farm house).
Our room was spotless, cool and bright. ( I was impressed by the diligence of the cleaning staff - I saw one woman cleaning the inner frame of the door mount where some sand/dust had gathered. Such attention to detail is rare.)
The staff are really friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The manager (Brian?) appears to be everywhere, watching, checking, greeting and smiling.
There was some work being completed on the area around the top pools and Brian was anxious that visitors were not too upset by the noise of saws etc. (This was the only drawback to out visit and it was not a major problem for us.) Many times, we were the only occupants of the main pool so felt spoiled.
We enjoyed many tasty meals, buffet breakfasts and dinners, wine and entertainment ( on Fridays) have retain some wonderful memories. The service was professional, yet friendly.
Each day we walked to the local square to enjoy coffee, lunch or beer/wine. We also enjoyed some day trips away from Xaghra but were always glad to come 'home'.
Corucopia was all we wanted - away from the hustle & bustle of city life, with good food and wine, friendly people and sunny surroundings. We returned refreshed and relaxed and are now planning our return, next year.
Thanks to all at Cornucopia ( the mythical and now real symbol of abundance).

Room Tip: We were impressed by all the rooms we saw: some face the valley, some a side road and some face the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lorcaman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reading
Reviewed 12 August 2012

we stayed in bungalow 5 for two nights after checking out of the Bella Vista farmhouses due to sewage problems. We started to realise as soon as we got there that we should have booked our whole 2 weeks there. Brian the manager instantly recognised us as we stayed there 2 years ago. The service we received was excellent considering we needed a bungalow asap after checking out from our previous accomodation. The bungalow was very clean and the beds were comfy. The island had a power cut during our stay which did mess up our air conditioning but Brian and his team did all they could to make it more comfortable for us, including offering us a free meal. We will definitely be going back next year.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank loveholsReading
Greater London
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Just got back from our Hoilday in Gozo & our stay at The Cornucopia Hotel.
Well where to start....Maybe best to get the Negative stuff out the way first.
Ok, on arrival after a smooth if not uninformed jouney,booked through Mercury Direct..umm Was welcome by Pretty Decor that is The Cornucopia & a Friendly welcome on Reception from a George..as there's a few of them,it could have also been a Frank,my Son & I were informed that our room would be ready in 20 mins of which was all ok as was good just to take in surroundings & sit down ;-) Our luggage was kindly taken to the room & we followed.Not long after being in room,I noticed it was not as clean as I would have hoped & the Hairdryer was broken.More to my concern was the Electric connections were dangerous & would not let my son touch them.Now as it was our first day I bypassed this but did mention the Hairdryer to George our Rep,which was eventually fixed on the day before we went home lol Now onto the Food,we stayed Half Board & as arrived in the afternoon,we soon got the evening experience.It was three course A la Carte supposedly,now don't get me wrong the food was ok maybe as I cook alot I am more critical & after a few days in became very repetitive,& we were amused by the three different names for what was the same thing..Roast Potatoes ;-) Desserts are however yummy! We were lucky to have the BBQ night twice,one on the Friday & the on the Tuesday eve before we left the next day,which broke the meals in Restaurant,thankfully.
Now the Positive which out ways the Negative in my opinion..The Staff & there service-They all work SO hard & are fun & friendly,they could not do enough to please us.Special mention to Alan who has such enthusiam in his work with a smile for all.Brain the Manager (The Simon Cowell) of Gozo who's charming nature on wine tasting night of the BBQ gave me an warm glow lol The Pool & area's around the Pools are lovely,although feel pools could be cleaned more often.Music on BBQ night also not to good,but we joked kindly about it as was not a big deal.
Overall the Hotel & especially the rooms are tired & it is NOT a Four Star as I have stayed in many! I can see they are getting there & money has been spent on pool area etc just rooms need to be in future I feel to bring it up to standard,as feel there is no room to be complacent nowadays with us all being short on money,people will go elsewhere & not return.Shame when it has such potential to be a exclusive quite place to stay & the same applys for Gozo itself also.
Tips-Do note that walk into Xaghra square is uphill for about 10-15mins & heat there is..MEGA! 38 on the day we left.Buses leave from square to all main places ie; Victoria,Ramla Bay & Marsalforn
Must Do's-Square is lovely & quaint,great coffee shops & Pizza at Brezzes ;-) Supermarket useful,& Church is Stunning. If can do the boat trip to The Blue Lagoon on Comino,amazing water & caves,but go early as gets very busy! Best of all is Ramla Bay..Perfect in every way,soft orange sand & into water to the left,water perfect temperature,lovely & shallow for along way out,great for all.
Gozo is having alot of work done thanks to the Euro being paid for by the Germans,etc I feel in the future it will hopefully be complete & be brought up to date.

Room Tip: I feel all rooms would be nice as Hotel lovely & quiet,but we had 55 & were facing the front...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CrazyG-sAdventures
essex england
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at the Cornucopia Bungalows between 5-14 th July and had a truly memorable holiday here. Myself, husband and 3 sons aged between 16 and 21.
I cannot comment on the hotel rooms so my review is based on the bungalows and the facilities available at the hotel of which we were free to use.

I booked direct with the hotel .Our bungalow (no 8) was extremely spacious and slept 5 in 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms , all of good size with plenty wardrobe and storage space . There are air conditioning and ceiling fans in every room, . In addition to the hotels facilities of which you are free to use ,the bungalows also have lovely terraces , with table & chairs , sunbeds , a shared pool with plenty outside space and a fabulous view towards the sea at Marsalforn.

Next morning we paid the extra 5.50 Euros per person, per night to upgrade to B&B, my one luxury I was determined to have. Breakfast consisted of a cooked option of bacon, fried eggs, tomato’s, sausages, beans and fried potatoes plus all the usual continental options of toast, croissants, cakes, cereals , Melon, cheese, ham, cereal, fruit salad which seemed to be in cream ..Very nice.

The hotel is full of rustic charm. It has a small and intimate feel but also has all the facilities you are likely to need should you decide to go out and about or stay put and relax. There are 2 swimming pools.. One with a Jacuzzi and both with plenty sun beds and umbrellas .A large bar that if you explored was actually in 3 parts, with a good selection of snack/lunch options available. TV, internet and free Wi-Fi available in the reception/bar/small pool area should you want it.

Being a self catering option the website said cleaning only twice a week in the bungalows but much to my delight we were cleaned, beds made and fresh towels every day. I’m not sure if this was because we upgraded to B&B though.

The pools are busier at the weekends when local Maltese people arrive on gozo to relax and there is a good age mix here from young children to the more mature. Young children played happily in the pool. Many guests are return visitors and you can understand why. The cornucopia is a very special place with warm and friendly staff and guests.

We had a meal at the restaurant on our first evening which was very very good. Little touches like the waiter asking us if we would maybe like some help with the menu was very much appreciated. We also attended the Friday night BBQ which seems to be very popular judging by the amount of outside guests and coaches that arrived.

Xaghra square is a 15-20 minute stroll although not recommended in the heat!! . Claimed to be one of the most beautiful on the island with plenty nice eating places, all reasonably priced. Our favourites were D venue and Orleander both on the main square.

To get the best out of Gozo and the cornucopias location I would definitely recommend a car although there are local buses available. Marsalform is only a 5 minute drive where there are plenty other lunch and dinner options. Chez Armand was another lovely restaurant recommendation we got from fellow guests. It’s on Qbajjar Seafront which is the next small bay round to the left from Marsalforn. Just follow the coast road round to the left or the signs clearly marked Obajjar and there are 2 little restaurants on the bay. You can’t miss it and no parking problems like there is in Marsalforn. Do also visit Xlendi. It’s a busy little place come the evening so would definitely recommend bookings ahead. We had a lovely meal at Ta Karolina right in the corner of the bay which the cornucopia booked for us. Ask for a table on the waters edge if you can get one . The stone crab next door also looked very nice.

We have certainly fallen in love with Gozo and the cornucopia and hope to be back next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lynwestie
London
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Maybe because we were very early in the season, but I got the impression that the bungalow we were staying in, across the (very quiet) road hadn't been prepared for some time - clean enough but musty. The mustiness was there all week, despite my keeping the doors and windows open when possible. The decor in the rooms was terribly dated and desperately needs updating, the bedsprings were so worn they sounded like a far off thunderclap everytime you moved (when you sleep on it you'll understand). I gather the other hotels owned by this company are of a good standard and trust that at some point the Cornucopia will be updated accordingly. I noted in their info pack that they had been featured in the tv programme "Wish you were here" - this finished in 2003, but I imagine the rooms were last decorated long before. I cant comment on the hotel rooms as we were in one of the bungalows but the hotel itself, converted from a farmhouse was in a "rustic" (ie English pub) style and really didn't lend itself to having anywhere to sit and relax of an evening apart from round the pool. Saying that the bar was never open all week and to get a drink we had to get the receptionist to get it for us on the one night we did. The Cornucopia is a fair walk from the main square where there is a choice of half a dozen restaurants, all of which are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Talking of food we did eat in the hotel one night - it was a buffet night with entertainment. The buffet was of very limited choice (saying that there was only two other couples in there) and the entertainment was a singer/keyboardist - it ended up with just us in there and we'd finished by 9.30. As I said it was very early in the season so certainly no dancing under the stars round the pool. Breakfast was standard hotel fare - the usual waiting round the communal toaster (is that my toast or yours?) and please get rid of the instant coffee/chocolate vending machine. Also the week we were there the music EVERY MORNING was a tape/cd of depressing power ballads (dont want to hear Total eclipse of the heart ever again thanks). Not exactly the music to put you in a holiday mood. I trust this has been changed now.

Gozo itself seemed lovely, not sure why many people who review it on here have been dozens of times (including many non- Maltese) but we probably missed something as I would have liked to have seen more than we did in the week we were there. We stayed at The Cornucopia due to the closeness to Ramla bay, which was a bus ride away - we did walk the first day but be warned its a fair walk in the heat. The beach itself is ok - no development at all apart from two cafe's and a toilet and is a pretty spectacular location when viewed from the cliffs.

We went on a round the island boat trip which was a good way to see the varied coastline and coastal villages, the one we went on visited Comino bay early in the morning, which I recommend you should try and do as it is a truly beautiful place before the hoardes arrive a little later on.

To summarise Gozo is a lovely place to visit and would recommend it, The Cornucopia is an ok place to stay, not exactly cheap, and needs to improve its decor and general facillities. Sorry I cant be more positive, maybe if I visited at time of writing (July) when its fully up and running it might be different.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DaveT26
CornucopiaGozo_Malta, General Manager at Cornucopia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear DaveT26,
First of all we would like to express our thanks for finding the time to share your experience at the Cornucopia Hotel and Gozo in general.
I gather from your comments about the bar being closed that you stayed with us end of April beginning of May. The reason being that at that period we were re tiling the Bar preparation area and general maintenance in preparation for summer. In fact, also at about that time all flooring and stone works were re done by the top pool, BBq area and all floor tiles in front of the ground level rooms.
Although we take great care that all accommodation are clean and well-kept as stated, sometimes because of the nature of the natural stone during the rainy season it can have a distinct smell to it. The interior décor and furniture while fully functional is rustic that goes well with the style of the whole complex. Again your comment has been noted and all the mattresses have been replaced.
During the shoulder months, although we still keep usual events such as the Friday Carvery evenings, the choice on display might be less than usual, but will make available if asked for, same goes for breakfast, to eliminate waste.
Once again thank you for your valued review, and if you ever visit us again during the summer months you can experience these changes for yourself.
Looking forward to greet you once again at the Cornucopia Hotel,
Sincerely yours
Brian Caruana
General Manager.
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed here for a 2 day break ,we was a party of 3 ,me, my partner and 9yr old son. On arrival I thought I did a mistake by booking this hotel because room was s little old dated but the relaxing atmosphere by the pool and in the hotel in general quickly compensated for the rooms.but the most memorable thing I remember of this hotel is the kindness of one particular waiter ( I do not recall his name but was in his early fourtys ) that with his smile and impeccable service made our evening perfect .thank you....keep it up.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank cpbeachlife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xaghra
San Andrea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sannat
Calypso Hotel
Calypso Hotel
#1 of 9 in Marsalforn

Been to Cornucopia Hotel? Share your experiences!