“NEVER AGAIN”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Went here on our son's recommendation. We liked the idea that the restaurant is still keeping with the Maltese tradition of complimentary appitizers & Maltese bread however, the rest was unpleasant. My husband had fresh garlic prawns for starters. There was no garlic flavour to them but two garlic cloves on the side of the plate!! I tried two prawns & both had a slight taste of ammonia - an indication that they were not fresh. We both had sword fish for main, my husband with salad & chips, mine with fresh vegetables & roast potatoes. The salad was very colourful, fresh & crispy, the chips tasted good albeit approximately 12 of them. Never been served such a mean portion of chips like this before. My fresh vegetables were not - they were frozen. The cauliflower was ok, the carrots tasted old & the broccoli disintegrated. Why use frozen vegetables? Plenty fresh vegetables and very reasonably priced this time of year. The potatoes must have been boiled a couple of days before & then dipped into a deep fat fryer. The fish was so dry and mine was partially burnt. We called the waitress over to see what we've been served up. She was very apologetic and called the proprietor. He ate one of the potatoes and argued that they were tasty Maltese potatoes. An insult to Maltese potatoes we know how delicious they are but the ones I was served tasted disgusting. In his defence he did ask us what he could do to make it better. Hire someone who respects food and knows how to cook it would be a start, came to mind but we said nothing. We were not charged for my meal but that's not the point. We would have much rather enjoyed our food and paid for it than spoilt our evening. It is a great shame that a restaurant as well established as this one has got it so so wrong and ought to know much better. We will not go back.

4  Thank leemel36912

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went there with friends and small kids, the place is nice. And the food was very good. Fish and meat were both good. It's not the cheapest restaurant there but I would say regular prices for Malta.good value for money. I recommend it.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

oh my, i thought this is one of the best restaurants in malta. now that is a huge mistake. we wanted a quick lunch, so we ordered a chicken salad and pasta bolognese. it wasnt such a quick lunch since we had to wait at least 30 mins (on uncomfortable chairs and in the blazing sun). when the food did arrive by a very rude waiter ( the owners son) the bolognese was full of white hair !!!! the owner actually denied that it was hair in our food. we of course left the restaurant at once.. never to return again!

1  Thank Alazne S
irrizzu, Manager at Ir-Rizzu Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Hi

I;m sorry for your experience but I the owner's son do not remember the occasion
I think waiting 30 mins for food is quite acceptable and nver we had any complains on the chairs
Regards

Reviewed 20 August 2014

At any time of the year, Ir-Rizzu is one of the best places for fresh fish at the south of Malta. The place is air conditioned during the very hot months.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great place for fresh fish. Always guaranteed the best fresh fish cooked to your liking. Let them guide you on their special starter and you wont regret it. Louise is the perfect hostess. Want to host friend who like fish in a fishing village - look no further.